Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davehp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2013
When I import movie clips from my hard drive, which are in .mpg format, iMovie goes through the whole process (often up to an hour) or analyzing the video, then sometimes it goes through section of "generating the thumbnails" and placing it into the proper location in the events, but other times it skips this step, generates the new event folder that I had indicated, but the video is nowhere to be found in iTunes.

I've now done this multiple times, and I have about a 20% success rate importing video, even though all the video was recorded in the same format with the same recorder.

Nov 28, 2010
located
MPG video implies an MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 codec, which results for iMovie to transcode the video into its own format and codec (MOV using the Apple Intermediate Codec), thus it takes its time.

I do not know, why such videos should show up in iTunes though, as iTunes is a different beast altogether.

daybreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
Why did you not import your video into iMovie and used your external Hard drive as your storage format?

davehp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2013
typo, not showing up in iMovie

what I meant to write is that the video is then nowhere to be found in iMovie after all of the import process. The program even creates the new specified event window in the events tab, but there appears to be nothing in it.

daybreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
Sorry but you lost me there. How did you import your video? Is you iMovie software loaded to import into an external Hard Drive?

davehp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2013
importing video

I go to File, then Import, then movies. After selecting movies, it brings up a finder window to select the file. At that point, I select the movie I want to import from my external hard drive after locating it in the finder window. Is there a better way to do this?

daybreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
Right lets go back to basic. What version of iMovie do you have? (The amount of time I have asked this).
Any form of importing a video to a pacific editing software will move you item to that software file.
When you imported did you have iMovie open? and were did you imported your video?
Sorry for asking basic question. In practise you should have no problem if you followed the correct procedure.:apple:

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
I go to File, then Import, then movies. After selecting movies, it brings up a finder window to select the file. At that point, I select the movie I want to import from my external hard drive after locating it in the finder window. Is there a better way to do this?

No. That's the only way to import movie/video files from Finder into iMovie.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.