Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 11, 2003
Maybe I'm just a moron - google searching has failed me. What I'd like to do seems simple but I'm a bit behind the times on this topic.

I have years and years of mail filed into folders on my pop account in Mail. I would like to make the switch over to imap without involving those folders in any way (just too large). I just want to keep all of those folders on the desktop only and have the syncing of imap be lean and small (inbox/outbox, maybe a couple other things).

Also, my home account is gmail, at work it's rackspace. Optimally I'd want to make the switch to iMap for both email accounts, but I realize the instructions for each may be different since gmail is kind of an odd duck.

Any help would be appreciated.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
The problem is if you delete the POP account, it will delete all those folders of saved messages. What you can do is just leave the POP account there, but just disable it in Mail prefs. It won't receive any more messages, but your locally saved messages will still be there. Then if you want you can just drag the ones you want over to the IMAP account folders.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 11, 2003
Interesting... so if I have the two accounts with pop disabled, can I still file imap messages into the pop account folders?

Ultimately I'd love a cleaner approach where you could just set which folders sync within the imap account and which don't. Is that not possible?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Interesting... so if I have the two accounts with pop disabled, can I still file imap messages into the pop account folders?

Yes. But they will only be stored locally.

Ultimately I'd love a cleaner approach where you could just set which folders sync within the imap account and which don't. Is that not possible?

I don't of any way to make local POP mailboxes sync with an IMAP mail box.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.