Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rjcalifornia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
El Salvador
I'm gonna share this experience:

My dad is a long time Windows user, but he really liked the iMac G4 I had in my room. So, one day I gave it to him. He is an accountant, so I installed Office 2008 and put the Office icons in the desktop.

Time he had troubles adapting to OSX? 30 minutes!! He told me the OS felt so modern, fast and slick! Not bad for Tiger OS :)

He doesn't like iTunes, but who does it? ;)

heartsglory

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2005
Hopefully one of these days my father-in-law will be a convert. I DID manage to convince him about getting an iPad. I can use it to move him into a Mac. :)

skateny

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2012
New York, NY
I'm gonna share this experience:

My dad is a long time Windows user, but he really liked the iMac G4 I had in my room. So, one day I gave it to him. He is an accountant, so I installed Office 2008 and put the Office icons in the desktop.

Time he had troubles adapting to OSX? 30 minutes!! He told me the OS felt so modern, fast and slick! Not bad for Tiger OS :)

He doesn't like iTunes, but who does it? ;)

I love stories like this.

I was the first one in my family to have a personal computer, an Amiga 1000, and then my later love affair with Macs. My family thought it was an unnecessary and extravagant waste of money. Until they learned what I could do with it. They all jumped head first into the Wintel pool. Over time, I was getting a lot of late night phone calls about how to fix what was going wrong with their PCs. The conversations always included questions about whether or not I had problems with my Macs. As their PC problems multiplied, they became increasingly open to considering Macs.

Now, I'm talking about five people here: two sisters, two brothers and my Mom. Whenever I visited family members, I'd bring along my Apple 520c PowerBook, which always received a great deal of attention. The first "conversion" was with one of my sisters. Unfortunately, her first Mac was a Performa. Since this was also her first computer, she was amazed at what it could do, and had no frame of reference against which to assess her Mac. She later bought one of the first iMacs soon after its release, and she's been a Mac-only person ever since. She now has a G4 desktop which she uses as her main computer, an iPhone and an iPad for work. (She's a top-level banker.)

My younger brother became so fed up with Windows that, after yet another late-night call about a Windows problem, he went out the very next day and bought a TiBook and an iBook. His family is now outfitted with MacBook Pros, iPhones and an iPad. My Mom (now 83 years old) was easy. When she first dipped her toe into personal computing, she hadn't a clue as to what computers do or how they work. She got the latest G3 iMac and took lessons on how to use it. Love at first site. She now has a G5 desktop and an iPad, the iPad being her main way of accessing content. My youngest sister was a bit tougher, since she and her husband work in the Tech sector, and were among those who believed that Macs are toys, and that Windows is the only way to go. She broke down and got an early Intel iMac for her sons to "play with at home." Since then, her boys have had to fight her and her father for time on the iMac. Also an iPhone and iPad family, with an added MacBook Pro.

My older brother never made the switch. He's conservative in every way, and still thinks Macs are toys. This is partly due to his work with government-contracted weapons designers. I don't know that he'll ever make the switch, despite the rest of the family's sheer delight in using Macs.

I've needed to use Wintel laptops on and off for work over the years and, when they've work well, I've had little trouble with them. But it just isn't anything at all like the pleasure I've enjoyed using PowerPC Macs. I'm still pleasantly surprised each time I see or hear about a new convert who's overjoyed with their new "toy."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.