Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2011
Hi all
sorry if this is posted before. However need some advice. I am looking at improving my home security. I have an Iphone 5 and I have a MBA. I use wifi at home all the time. I have a BT Home Hub 3 wireless router.

What I am looking for is an easy simply solution for an IP Camera set up the smaller the camera the better. I am new to the world of IP camera's I know they have been around for a while. However would be looking at installing a discreet IP camera the power source would be battery or main powered. Ideally battery due to me not having to mess around with cables etc.

I would like it set up so I can either see whats going on in my home via my iphone 5 or remotely via a website secure website url. Need image/video recording too an alert system to me by email if i am not at home would be iddeal too. I would also like the ability to have the option of connection more than 1 IP camera to the set up. I do have a concern though, that I do not want someone unauthorised to try and view my home from the inside from the outside via equipment they may have or for it to be disabled from the outside.

Any easy solutuion that you guys can recommend that will meet my needs?

Thanks in advance

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2008
IP camera setup advice

I can share with you how I have my IP cameras setup.
I use the Surveillance Station which is included with Synology NAS devices.
Synology provides mobile apps, which are free, one of which allows you to view your cameras in real time,
view past recorded events, and even create a snapshot. The mobile apps are available for Android as well. I set a static IP on the camera, then register it on the Surveillance Station.
The Surveillance Station provides monitoring 24/7 with some excellent features for recording events and sending email notifications.
As far as a web page, this will depend on what type on cameras you purchase. I use Axis cameras, they will provide a web page for administration and a web page for guest viewing, the guest viewing can also be password protected. One great feature of the Axis cameras is that they provide a built in code generator that will generate the necessary code that you can embed into your web page. If you have a static IP address, or dynamic DNS, you can add an A record and setup your website to a url like: http://cam.yourdomainname.com/
Another great feature of the Synology NAS devices is that they are an excellent companion product for any Mac, they have Time Machine support, iTunes Server support, too much to list here, I highly recommend you check out the Synology website.

assembled

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2009
London
514 views and no one knows an answer :confused::rolleyes:

everyone else wants the moon on a stick as well...

What you probably don't want to hear is the suggestion to get "ordinary" CCTV cameras and a recording unit, with IP connectivity in the recording unit.

Adding an IP stack takes significantly more power than a straight video feed, Wireless cameras usually require local power, unless you want to replace small batteries daily, or car starter sized lead acid batteries weekly...

http://www.maplin.co.uk/productsear...,Nr:AND(8065)&menuno=8065&s=p_price+ascending

Emilyyu

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2013
Hi all
sorry if this is posted before. However need some advice. I am looking at improving my home security. I have an Iphone 5 and I have a MBA. I use wifi at home all the time. I have a BT Home Hub 3 wireless router.

What I am looking for is an easy simply solution for an IP Camera set up the smaller the camera the better. I am new to the world of IP camera's I know they have been around for a while. However would be looking at installing a discreet IP camera the power source would be battery or main powered. Ideally battery due to me not having to mess around with cables etc.

I would like it set up so I can either see whats going on in my home via my iphone 5 or remotely via a website secure website url. Need image/video recording too an alert system to me by email if i am not at home would be iddeal too. I would also like the ability to have the option of connection more than 1 IP camera to the set up. I do have a concern though, that I do not want someone unauthorised to try and view my home from the inside from the outside via equipment they may have or for it to be disabled from the outside.

Any easy solutuion that you guys can recommend that will meet my needs?

Thanks in advance
According to my experience, most IP cameras are designed non battery-operated since usually the surveillance camera has to work 24/7 and its power consumption cannot be satisfied with battery.
And what‘s your problem? You want some suggestions on which camera to choose? If that is the case, i recommend you TENVIS IP camera since it meet your needs except the battery thing.

vwDavid

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2007
my home wifi G/N mixed struggles with one IP camera at downrated frame rate and compression. It couldn't even get two working. Yah, and no batteries required. Plug them in, they got HOT! they like the powa!

You might get satisfied with one. I have one trendnet IP web camera that and I have used the free dnydns service to create a static domain for my cable modem DHCP address. Then I set up the routers firewall port forwarding to the ip net camera. I can view remotely on a PC or on a free mobile app. Camera has in built event monitoring, but it was flakey to use.

Setup was hard on trendnet. Wired is definately better than wireless. This is a significant project. If you want to grow it bigger you need to do it right and do your own research. There are many product combinations possible including software.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.