Boy suspended after using finger as pretend gun - Page 2 - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Oct 6, 2013, 10:40 AM   #26
zioxide
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickZac View Post
And another example of the anti-gun sentiment...I guess cops are bad too now. It's for the children!!!! We wouldn't want them to be safe, or anything like that...

http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/story/23...t-school-asked

And is this an isolated event?...hah! I cannot even say how many colleagues of mine have heard similar things. People whom are military and LE...our finest...being told that because their profession deals with firearms that they aren't welcome in today's politically correct world. One of my closest friends was called a, "baby killer" in front of his daughter by a school administrator after the administrator asked him to not wear clothes that established he was US military and he asked her if she had a problem with the Armed Forces...nice lady.
Ridiculous. Not like this is a new thing though. That happened to thousands of soldiers returning home during the Vietnam war.
zioxide is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2013, 10:51 AM   #27
SLC Flyfishing
macrumors 65816

Quote:
One of my closest friends was called a, "baby killer" in front of his daughter by a school administrator after the administrator asked him to not wear clothes that established he was US military and he asked her if she had a problem with the Armed Forces...nice lady.
Classic...

A few years ago I went on a humanitarian mission to SE Asia with the US military. We used a Navy Hospital ship and civilians were allowed aboard.

One lady went on and on about how she was surrounded by "baby killers". You want to guess how pleasant her voyage was?

She didn't care, her opinions on the matter were more important to her than the people around her.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 04:35 PM   #28
NickZac
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Flyfishing View Post
Classic...

A few years ago I went on a humanitarian mission to SE Asia with the US military. We used a Navy Hospital ship and civilians were allowed aboard.

One lady went on and on about how she was surrounded by "baby killers". You want to guess how pleasant her voyage was?

She didn't care, her opinions on the matter were more important to her than the people around her.
To some people, anything LE or military related is simply negative and emotionally-motivated insults are more important than seeking the truth or getting to know the people involved. A lot of times it seems people as such have major issues with authority (probably why they aren't military or LE...).

I can understand people being against war...in most situations, I most certainly am too. But there is a difference in being against war and treating our finest like dirt, which some people don't see.

And how some school administrators would not want police/military dropping their kids off and being unwelcoming to their presence...well, that's just beyond me. The people who are going to run into a school shooting, run at a shooter, and potentially lose their lives in order to save others without even thinking twice...well, that will be the LEOs, military, and first responders that these school officials treat absolutely terribly and show zero respect towards their public service.
NickZac is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2013, 02:09 PM   #29
lannister80
macrumors 6502

Quote:
And how some school administrators would not want police/military dropping their kids off and being unwelcoming to their presence...well, that's just beyond me.
Really? Being surrounded by armed guards all the time wouldn't make you feel at all uncomfortable?

I don't want military people with guns in my personal space unless there's something going on that needs them right then and there, and that goes double for cops. Especially cops; they're dangerous to interact with.

Last edited by lannister80; Oct 7, 2013 at 02:17 PM. Reason: clarity/typo
lannister80 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2013, 02:22 PM   #30
PracticalMac
macrumors 68020

NRA will be all over this.
PracticalMac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2013, 02:22 PM   #31
tshrimp
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
Even a PC-lovin', pacifist-commie-liberal like myself thinks this takes things too far.

We don't need Zero Tolerance, we need Reasonable Tolerance.

That however, is the hardest kind of tolerance to come by these days.
Well said.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 02:48 PM   #32
Michael Goff
macrumors 68040

He shouldn't have been suspended... but it could have been worse. This could have not been a gun-free zone and he might have gotten shot or something.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 02:50 PM   #33
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Goff View Post
He shouldn't have been suspended... but it could have been worse. This could have not been a gun-free zone and he might have gotten shot or something.
Unlikely, but he could have had somebody's eye out with that finger. You can't be too careful.
skunk is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2013, 03:01 PM   #34
Michael Goff
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunk View Post
Unlikely, but he could have had somebody's eye out with that finger. You can't be too careful.
He had a deadly weapon with him, Officer ...
Old Oct 7, 2013, 03:05 PM   #35
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Goff View Post
He had a deadly weapon with him, Officer ...
...and he was pointing it right at me. It was life or death.
skunk is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2013, 03:17 PM   #36
PracticalMac
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
Reasonable Tolerance.
What's that??
PracticalMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2013, 03:30 PM   #37
hagr182
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunk View Post
...and he was pointing it right at me. It was life or death.
Sadly I do believe someone would make that excuse, and maybe it would be accepted by the authority.
hagr182 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2013, 03:30 PM   #38
stubeeef
macrumors 68030

Should have crushed the teachers head! Don't worry skunk, if you see someone crushing your head-just run through traffic really fast to get away!
Now, if Pai Mei (kill bill Vol 2) comes at you with some pointy fingers-run like all h3ll!!!!

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/be3...omedy-sketches

Last edited by stubeeef; Oct 7, 2013 at 03:36 PM.
stubeeef is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2013, 04:19 PM   #39
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

Not sure what all that is about.
skunk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2013, 06:02 AM   #40
SMDBill
macrumors regular

I must be pretty lucky. I took my mail with me to pick up my kid from school. During my visit, while waiting impatiently in the car, I used my finger as a very sharp knife and I have to tell ya, I sliced right through those sealed envelopes like they were butter!! I mean, seriously...ripped right through the seals as if the finger actually WAS a knife. Dangerous stuff and I do NOT recommend you try it at home. After all, mail is dangerous and doing anything to mimic a sharp object in order to open that mail could be grounds for arrest in knife free zones.

/sarcasm
SMDBill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2013, 06:54 PM   #41
Huntn
macrumors 604

I'm sure each side has a story. However, if you have a kid running around school pretend shooting other kinds with his finger gun, and is told to stop, and he does not stop he should be disciplined. I have no idea if this happened, but there should have been an opportunity to warn the child and go from there before suspension comes into play.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2013, 11:47 PM   #42
NickZac
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannister80 View Post
Really? Being surrounded by armed guards all the time wouldn't make you feel at all uncomfortable?

I don't want military people with guns in my personal space unless there's something going on that needs them right then and there, and that goes double for cops. Especially cops; they're dangerous to interact with.
Just wow to the cops comment. A white supremacist I once interviewed told me Black people (he didn't use that term, tho) "will get you killed". Your comment says to me that the same thought process is involved...similar levels of sweeping stereotypes based on completely untrue information, or blame assessed for one's personal issues to pass the buck. Do certain races, lifestyles, genders, choices of work clothes, ethnic-cultural backgrounds, and religions also make you feel endangered by default without knowing a single detail about the individuals?

There aren't many people who will jump in front of danger to save you or your loved ones from a bad guy at the expense of them sacrificing their own life to save yours. There aren't many people who would fight for your freedom despite the personal rewards being about as minimal as they could be. And I highly doubt you would do it for a stranger or for your love of country based on what you said. Luckily, you don't have to because there are other members of society willing to do so.

And the men and women comprising the Armed-Forces generally don't carry guns in terms of their work in civilian life. They weren't carrying guns when they were told things from school administrators. Just in uniform. Just honest, moral people dropping their children off whom were victims of the misdirected anger and the bigotry that LE, military, and first responders are frequently exposed to.
NickZac is offline   5 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues