Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 15, 2013, 07:56 AM   #1
Flomer
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Stolen MacBook Air - What should I do?

Hello,

Yesterday someone broke into our house and stole several different things, one of which was my MBA. Even though I have it connected to "Find My iPhone" I don't believe I will get the computer back. However, what I'm more worried about is what should I do to prevent them from using any of my personal information and files, because the computer was turned on when they took it.

So far I have:
  • Changed email and password for my Apple ID.
  • Changed password for Google Account.
  • Logged off any other sessions of my Google Account.
  • Changed password for Facebook and Twitter.
  • Logged of any other Facebook/Twitter sessions and unauthorized my Mac to access my Twitter account.
  • Changed password for Evernote.
  • Changed password for Dropbox and un-linked my MBA with the account.
  • Blocked my credit cards associated with the MBA and my Apple ID.

What more should I do?

Best Regards,

Flomer
Flomer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 09:18 AM   #2
rodger01
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
You should contact one of the credit bureaus and place a fraud alert or freeze on your account. if they try to open a new account you will be alerted. i would order a credit report and check it closely. if you can find the location call the police and let them handle it. they may have sold it it to someone else without them knowing it was stolen.
rodger01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 02:15 PM   #3
stchman
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Send a message via AIM to stchman Send a message via Yahoo to stchman Send a message via Skype™ to stchman
Others may know more about this than I do.

Do you have the screen lock when the lid is closed? If the thief does not have the password to log in to your machine, they will have a more difficult time.

Do you encrypt your volumes?
stchman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2013, 06:43 PM   #4
purplekush604
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
is there something i can do to protect my computer and all the information on it in case something like this happens to me?
purplekush604 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2013, 09:12 PM   #5
Idarzoid
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplekush604 View Post
is there something i can do to protect my computer and all the information on it in case something like this happens to me?
Encrypt with FileVault2 and shut it down when you're not using it or you can create an encrypted container and store important things on it, might get a bit annoying having to mount/unmount it but it's a good alternative if you don't want to go down FileVault route.
__________________
MacBook Air (13", 2014)
i5-4260U | Intel HD 5000 | 8GB RAM | 256GB SSD
Idarzoid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 08:09 AM   #6
wolfpuppies3
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Virginia, USA
Presumably you either a) told the police precisely where it is or, if they will not help you with that, remote wiped it.

That is precisely why you had set up "find my iPhone."

Problem solved, file a claim with your insurance, buy a new replacement, and do all mentioned above concerning encryption.
__________________
2012 MBA 13, 2 Ghz i7, 8 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD; 2011 MBA 11, 1.8 Ghz i7, 4 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD; 2010 MB Pro 15, 2.66 Ghz i7, 8 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD; two iPad 3s and a mini, two iPhones and a bunch of iPods
wolfpuppies3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2013, 01:37 AM   #7
rick snagwell
macrumors 68040
 
rick snagwell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: oceanside, ca
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idarzoid View Post
Encrypt with FileVault2 and shut it down when you're not using it or you can create an encrypted container and store important things on it, might get a bit annoying having to mount/unmount it but it's a good alternative if you don't want to go down FileVault route.
can you please explain what encrypting it with filevault does?

if someone steals it, and there is no password to get it, its all still viewable? im very confused. thanks
__________________
------||------
rick snagwell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2013, 05:31 AM   #8
Idarzoid
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
The contents of an encrypted drive/container cannot be opened or viewed unless you know the password.
__________________
MacBook Air (13", 2014)
i5-4260U | Intel HD 5000 | 8GB RAM | 256GB SSD
Idarzoid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2013, 09:30 AM   #9
filmbuff
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick snagwell View Post
can you please explain what encrypting it with filevault does?

if someone steals it, and there is no password to get it, its all still viewable? im very confused. thanks
They're all talking about what you should do on your next computer, not what you should do about this one. If you had filevault your files would not be viewable without a password. Right now it is possible to get info off of your computer even if you weren't logged in.
filmbuff is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2013, 12:17 PM   #10
hackerwayne
macrumors 6502a
 
hackerwayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Send a message via MSN to hackerwayne Send a message via Skype™ to hackerwayne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flomer View Post
Hello,

Yesterday someone broke into our house and stole several different things, one of which was my MBA. Even though I have it connected to "Find My iPhone" I don't believe I will get the computer back. However, what I'm more worried about is what should I do to prevent them from using any of my personal information and files, because the computer was turned on when they took it.

So far I have:
  • Changed email and password for my Apple ID.
  • Changed password for Google Account.
  • Logged off any other sessions of my Google Account.
  • Changed password for Facebook and Twitter.
  • Logged of any other Facebook/Twitter sessions and unauthorized my Mac to access my Twitter account.
  • Changed password for Evernote.
  • Changed password for Dropbox and un-linked my MBA with the account.
  • Blocked my credit cards associated with the MBA and my Apple ID.

What more should I do?

Best Regards,

Flomer
Go onto iCloud and see the location of your Mac, contact the police and give the the exact location
__________________
Octo MP, MacMini 06, 13" MBA, iMac 06, rMBP13, iP4S
Hobby: Hacker, Creator of MLPostFactor
Life: Repair & Salvage Macs
Quote: Nothing is impossible. Twitter: @Wayne_819
hackerwayne is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Macbook Air Stolen - Question GScottWest MacBook Air 12 Apr 12, 2014 02:37 PM
new macbook air just stolen purchased last week :( koimei MacBook Air 29 Aug 25, 2013 06:01 PM
Customer with stolen MacBook Air tgpctech MacBook Air 38 Aug 4, 2013 02:24 PM
Macbook Air Stolen - Need Advice Please eugmac MacBook Air 11 Jun 22, 2013 01:06 PM
MacBook Air Was Stolen - What Steps Should I Take? VTHockey11 MacBook Air 10 Jul 1, 2012 03:01 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:55 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC