Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old May 12, 2013, 03:28 AM   #26
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by determined09 View Post
No, I don't workout now. My diet needs a lot improvement it's mostly highly processed food aka fast foods,soda, ice cream, breakfast tacos, bacon, french fries, cheeseburgers, very few fruits and vegetables. I really need to start taking my lunch to work and learn to cook at home. I want to loss weight to prevent diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol. In addition, I my size it's hard to find clothes that I like. I'm only 37 yrs old and the clothes that fit me make me look like someone's grandmother. I would like to look better, too.

I would think a trainer will give me jump start and guide for exercise plan and diet.
It varies. Trainers may give dietary advice, but they won't necessarily have a meal plan. I spent a lot on training at one point. I added a lot of muscle, improved balance. I think my weight during that time dropped maybe 10 pounds, but I wasn't trying to cut huge amounts of weight.

Personally I think it will take a long damn time before real food that can be prepared quickly enough to hold your interest is palatable to you coming off that diet. Getting rid of processed items helps a lot. Whole grain oatmeal tends to be better than most cereal as it has a reasonable amount of fiber and protein without added sugar. You can add something like fruit or berries. I would just get away from the use of anything from a jar or can. Canned sauces and bottled dressing are often loaded with preservatives and added sugar. I just use olive oil and vinegar for salads or mix a vinaigrette if I feel like spending the time. Fish or chicken breast works well. If you want to make something like pasta, you can find either whole wheat (normal pasta is wheat based anyway) or brown rice pasta.

Just keeping the added sugar low may help manage issues like appetite. Ideally keep the salt low too. Fruit has a lot of sugar, but also typically contains soluble fiber. Soluble fiber limits the rate of uptake, so it's not such an issue. I would also avoid drinking your calories. This means if you like coffee, drink it unsweetened. Avoid fruit juice. You get acclimatized to these kinds of things after some time. Certain kinds of junk food may continue to taste good. Others may taste gross. I would get used to reading labels as well.

Fruits and vegetables are quite important. I would find a grocery store in your area with good produce. You don't want to make this stuff so tedious that you become unmotivated to continue after a few months. I think that is an important point. For example it's a better idea to bring your lunch to work rather than order out, but to maintain that habit the effort needs to be sustainable. I don't think trainers at some of the national chain gyms are the best place to look for such things. They can be really hit and miss.

As for exercise, I like a combination of strength training and cardio. For the cardio make sure you have a decent pair of running/jogging shoes even if you're just going to use the treadmill. Make sure they fit both feet appropriately. It's not a thing of requiring excessive cushioning either. I personally prefer the ones with the least cushioning. I can jog in them comfortably. Cross trainer shoes were awful for me. It was way easier to jog on the beach barefoot (which I occasionally do if I can get there early morning) for 30 minutes or so at a constant pace than it was for me to jog the track at my gym. My ankles would grow tired with cross trainers. It doesn't happen in running shoes or barefoot.

Quote:

Thanks. I have no workout experience. Now, a few years back I lost 40 lbs over 7 months,but I had some loose skin. I don't have a diet plan. I was thinking about joining weight watchers for about 3 months.
I would look for reviews on that. It looks like a scam to me. They want you to buy their food, which isn't that great for you anyway. You would just be paying them to control portions for you. What would you do after that 3 months anyway?

The loose skin issue is going to happen. There are probably ways to minimize it, but muscle just fills out some of the space that was left. Diet isn't going to somehow fix that part. Muscle does help with metabolism, which is why strength training can be a good idea. Most women are incapable of becoming truly buff due to the difference in testosterone levels compared to men, so I wouldn't worry about that. Ideally a trainer would educate you on appropriate range of motion and workout cycles. You can walk into any gym and find people lifting a lot of weight with poor form. If you don't plan on having a spotter for anything involving strength training, I would get used to primarily dumbbells and some machine use. You still to pay attention and become aware of when your muscles are close to failure.

Anyway I hope some of that helps. My concern was that this sounds very typical for a lot of people. Consider whatever advertised diet business. Consider a trainer. Solicit random people for advice. There still needs to be long term changes, which is why I emphasize sustainability so much.
Old May 12, 2013, 10:39 AM   #27
determined09
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekev View Post
It varies. Trainers may give dietary advice, but they won't necessarily have a meal plan. I spent a lot on training at one point. I added a lot of muscle, improved balance. I think my weight during that time dropped maybe 10 pounds, but I wasn't trying to cut huge amounts of weight.

Personally I think it will take a long damn time before real food that can be prepared quickly enough to hold your interest is palatable to you coming off that diet. Getting rid of processed items helps a lot. Whole grain oatmeal tends to be better than most cereal as it has a reasonable amount of fiber and protein without added sugar. You can add something like fruit or berries. I would just get away from the use of anything from a jar or can. Canned sauces and bottled dressing are often loaded with preservatives and added sugar. I just use olive oil and vinegar for salads or mix a vinaigrette if I feel like spending the time. Fish or chicken breast works well. If you want to make something like pasta, you can find either whole wheat (normal pasta is wheat based anyway) or brown rice pasta.

Just keeping the added sugar low may help manage issues like appetite. Ideally keep the salt low too. Fruit has a lot of sugar, but also typically contains soluble fiber. Soluble fiber limits the rate of uptake, so it's not such an issue. I would also avoid drinking your calories. This means if you like coffee, drink it unsweetened. Avoid fruit juice. You get acclimatized to these kinds of things after some time. Certain kinds of junk food may continue to taste good. Others may taste gross. I would get used to reading labels as well.

Fruits and vegetables are quite important. I would find a grocery store in your area with good produce. You don't want to make this stuff so tedious that you become unmotivated to continue after a few months. I think that is an important point. For example it's a better idea to bring your lunch to work rather than order out, but to maintain that habit the effort needs to be sustainable. I don't think trainers at some of the national chain gyms are the best place to look for such things. They can be really hit and miss.

As for exercise, I like a combination of strength training and cardio. For the cardio make sure you have a decent pair of running/jogging shoes even if you're just going to use the treadmill. Make sure they fit both feet appropriately. It's not a thing of requiring excessive cushioning either. I personally prefer the ones with the least cushioning. I can jog in them comfortably. Cross trainer shoes were awful for me. It was way easier to jog on the beach barefoot (which I occasionally do if I can get there early morning) for 30 minutes or so at a constant pace than it was for me to jog the track at my gym. My ankles would grow tired with cross trainers. It doesn't happen in running shoes or barefoot.

I would look for reviews on that. It looks like a scam to me. They want you to buy their food, which isn't that great for you anyway. You would just be paying them to control portions for you. What would you do after that 3 months anyway?

The loose skin issue is going to happen. There are probably ways to minimize it, but muscle just fills out some of the space that was left. Diet isn't going to somehow fix that part. Muscle does help with metabolism, which is why strength training can be a good idea. Most women are incapable of becoming truly buff due to the difference in testosterone levels compared to men, so I wouldn't worry about that. Ideally a trainer would educate you on appropriate range of motion and workout cycles. You can walk into any gym and find people lifting a lot of weight with poor form. If you don't plan on having a spotter for anything involving strength training, I would get used to primarily dumbbells and some machine use. You still to pay attention and become aware of when your muscles are close to failure.

Anyway I hope some of that helps. My concern was that this sounds very typical for a lot of people. Consider whatever advertised diet business. Consider a trainer. Solicit random people for advice. There still needs to be long term changes, which is why I emphasize sustainability so much.

This man that I might hire any my personal trainer is Fitness competitor. His has charge for the personal training and charge for the nutritional planning.
Old May 24, 2013, 09:47 PM   #28
determined09
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquorpuki View Post
I have a trainer too and agree w/ almost everything here

Cons: expensive, unnecessary if you're disciplined and know what you're doing
Pros: if they're good, they're a health knowledge warehouse. And most people lack discipline and have no clue what they're doing anyway

Even after working out for over a decade, I get form corrected all the time and key things like ideal muscle proportions I would have never known w/out a trainer. Same for specialized cutting and bulking diets. I see guys in the gym who are curling 100+ lbs but are using their back more than their biceps. Also guys with massive upper bodies who are too lazy to do squats so their legs have zero muscle. Also the fat girl on the treadmill who's on it for an hour going 3 mph. These people should've all gotten a trainer.

Some random thoughts:
- If all you want is to lose weight, diet will take care of 80% of it. Cut out anything that spikes insulin (sugars, high glycemic carbs) and institute a reasonable calorie deficit.
- If you want to lose weight, realize once you get down to a healthy BF%, body composition (amount of muscle vs fatty tissue) matters more than your actual weight. If you lose weight and most of it's muscle, you're just wasting your time.
- Mainstream nutritional info has been wrong for years. IE if a trainer tells you saturated fat is bad because it increases LDL cholesterol, he has no clue what he's talking about. I recommend reading a lot so you can understand what your body is trying to do when you feed it and workout. "Fat Chance" by Robert Lustig is a good book for understanding the nutrition side of things and why sugar makes you fat and screws up your health. Eventually it be good to get a working knowledge of hormones.
thanks
Old May 24, 2013, 10:38 PM   #29
senseless
macrumors 65816

Yes, use the trainer for the first few months at least, so you know how to exercise properly. I was injuring my neck lifting dumbbells straight out in front of me, until a trainer pointed it out to me.
senseless is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2013, 09:20 PM   #30
determined09
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by senseless View Post
Yes, use the trainer for the first few months at least, so you know how to exercise properly. I was injuring my neck lifting dumbbells straight out in front of me, until a trainer pointed it out to me.

thanks for the tip
Old Aug 20, 2013, 08:44 PM   #31
determined09
macrumors 6502

if a personal trainer has a meal plan, do they usually have recipes to go alone with those meal plans?
Old Aug 21, 2013, 09:46 AM   #32
mscriv
macrumors 68040

determined09, it's been three months since you started this thread, any progress towards you goal? Give us an update on how things are going.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 10:29 AM   #33
sdilley14
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
if a personal trainer has a meal plan, do they usually have recipes to go alone with those meal plans?
This question makes me think you haven't gotten a personal trainer yet. And I'm guessing you haven't made any other strides towards your goal yet either. It's been three months...stop over thinking and overanalyzing it and just start DOING it! Get a personal trainer to work with for a month to show you workout routines, proper form, and an outline for a diet. Recipes, tips, EVERYTHING can be found online. bodybuilding.com is an invaluable source of information. The "Nutrition" and "Losing Fat" forums over there are overflowing with extremely useful information. Take the time, read the information, and DO THE WORK. Quit analyzing it, quit waiting, jump into the pool and figure out how to swim!

Don't want to spend the money on a personal trainer? Go to bodybuilding.com, browse through the many different workout programs they have on there, find a beginner program, check out the instructional videos that show proper form, and follow the program/videos exactly. Go to the "Nutrition" and "Losing Fat" forums, read through the stickies and follow them exactly. The information is all out there and well within your capabilities to utilize...you can either choose to act on it, or choose to sit there and struggle with it in your head and overanalyze it and rationlize why you're not doing it.

Last edited by sdilley14; Aug 21, 2013 at 10:39 AM.
sdilley14 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2013, 02:13 PM   #34
CountryBobs
Banned

If you can find a really hot trainer, then pro.
CountryBobs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2013, 07:05 PM   #35
determined09
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryBobs View Post
If you can find a really hot trainer, then pro.
He's nice looking but He's married with 4 children

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdilley14 View Post
This question makes me think you haven't gotten a personal trainer yet. And I'm guessing you haven't made any other strides towards your goal yet either. It's been three months...stop over thinking and overanalyzing it and just start DOING it! Get a personal trainer to work with for a month to show you workout routines, proper form, and an outline for a diet. Recipes, tips, EVERYTHING can be found online. bodybuilding.com is an invaluable source of information. The "Nutrition" and "Losing Fat" forums over there are overflowing with extremely useful information. Take the time, read the information, and DO THE WORK. Quit analyzing it, quit waiting, jump into the pool and figure out how to swim!

Don't want to spend the money on a personal trainer? Go to bodybuilding.com, browse through the many different workout programs they have on there, find a beginner program, check out the instructional videos that show proper form, and follow the program/videos exactly. Go to the "Nutrition" and "Losing Fat" forums, read through the stickies and follow them exactly. The information is all out there and well within your capabilities to utilize...you can either choose to act on it, or choose to sit there and struggle with it in your head and overanalyze it and rationlize why you're not doing it.
No, I haven't loss any weight. I've gained some weight. I've been stressed out with looking for a new job. I still have a job. Thank you for the encouragement.

Last edited by determined09; Aug 31, 2013 at 03:52 PM.
determined09 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2013, 10:16 PM   #36
mscriv
macrumors 68040

Quote:
No, I haven't lose any weight. I've gained some weight. I've been stressed out with looking for a new job. I still have a job. Thank you for the encouragement.
Hang in there. Motivation can be a hard thing to find sometimes. For years I completely ignored, made excuses, and then procrastinated for a long time before finally taking the steps needed to resolve my health issues. It's strange how hard it can be sometimes to simply take action on things in our lives that we know we need to do. What I've found most helpful is simply to try to find one small thing that I can do and start with being consistent there. As you make progress with that one thing it will often help you find the motivation to do more. Let us know if there is anything we can do to help.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 03:52 PM   #37
determined09
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscriv View Post
Hang in there. Motivation can be a hard thing to find sometimes. For years I completely ignored, made excuses, and then procrastinated for a long time before finally taking the steps needed to resolve my health issues. It's strange how hard it can be sometimes to simply take action on things in our lives that we know we need to do. What I've found most helpful is simply to try to find one small thing that I can do and start with being consistent there. As you make progress with that one thing it will often help you find the motivation to do more. Let us know if there is anything we can do to help.

Thank you for your support. I've been dealing with a hostile home environment ( I'm trying to move out now) and hostile working environment( which I'm looking for a new job , too) In addition, to looking for a new job and running into my ex boyfriend's best friend at work ( which I don't like) and I have a helpless 50 yrs old cousin, who's preacher begging me for help for one of her church members about financial aid because of the fact that I work at a college. The cousin is one of those people that will ask for help, but if you ask them to do anything for me, they go MIA.

----------

I've loss 2 lbs this week.

Last edited by determined09; Aug 31, 2013 at 03:51 PM.
determined09 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion