Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
Firefly, on the other hand, was a failed series, having lasted only 1 season (and barely that at only 14 episodes).

Firefly wasn't a failed series. Fox never gave it a chance to fail or succeed. It's more accurate to say it was unproven--although its refusal to go away might tell you something about where it would have gone, had Fox taken it seriously.

Executives at Fox intentionally derailed the show. The theories about the motives behind that are numerous but it's most likely that someone was not happy with the expense (Firefly was a pricey production for its day) and intentionally derailed it. Fox refused to air the original pilot until the end of its run. They showed the episodes out of order, moved it around to different time slots erratically and occasionally pre-empted it for sports events.

And despite that, it gathered an enormous fan following, spawned numerous comics and a feature film.

Is that really a failure? Considering how many obstacles were thrown in its way, I'd say not.

Last edited:

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
Firefly was an amazing television series that died too young... And the movie that was supposed to wrap things up did just that... and removed any hope of more seasons coming out ever (if there was any to begin with).

You missed the hints at the end that Mal had just potentially started a war with the Alliance's government. Look at the exchange at the end of the movie between the Operative and Mal.

Operative: It's not over. I can't guarantee that they won't come after you. The Parliament. Your broadwave about Miranda has weakened their regime, but they are not gone and they are not forgiving.

Mal: That don't bode especially well for you, given your order to let us go, patching up our hurt.

Operative: I told them the Tams were no longer a threat. Damage done. They might listen....

But they probably won't. :D

To me, a sequel where the Alliance is now focused directly on Mal as opposed to him via River and Simon would be fantastic. It would be the next logical step in Mal's development and push things toward a resurgence of the Browncoats and a new assault on the Alliance. That could easily fill two more films. I don't think Serenity closed the door on that at all.

Zealous

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2010
Charleston, IL
You missed the hints at the end that Mal had just potentially started a war with the Alliance's government. Look at the exchange at the end of the movie between the Operative and Mal.

But they probably won't. :D

To me, a sequel where the Alliance is now focused directly on Mal as opposed to him via River and Simon would be fantastic. It would be the next logical step in Mal's development and push things toward a resurgence of the Browncoats and a new assault on the Alliance. That could easily fill two more films. I don't think Serenity closed the door on that at all.

I see what you're saying here. But at the same time I really hope that they don't touch it. I think those last quotes were more of a brain chew then anything. And the idea that an entire federation would be pit against 1, dirt broke, firefly pilot is a little far fetched for this series. Now, should Mal turn around and start up the revolution again... that would be something worth writing and watching. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.