Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Sep 3, 2013, 11:33 PM   #1
2010mini
macrumors 6502

HBO Go verification question

I searched but didn't come up with an answer.

Can anyone tell me why the hbo go app on my apple tv is asking to reverify my apple tv?

its annoying to have to do this every so often. is their a way to make the verification process permanent? I know its tied to my Fios account which has never lapsed.

TIA
2010mini is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 09:08 AM   #2
2010mini
macrumors 6502

No one???
Old Sep 5, 2013, 02:27 PM   #3
barkomatic
macrumors 68040

I don't know why, but I had this issue with HBO Go verification through my own fios service. It got really annoying but eventually it "took" and I didn't have to keep re-verifying. In the end it didn't matter, since I dumped my cable connection. I just got tired of all the issues like this and the price.

If you've got an ipad or iphone--its much easier to sign into HBO GO on there and just use airplay.
barkomatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2013, 01:37 AM   #4
ElectronGuru
macrumors 6502a

Because Apple isn't controlling the authentication system and those who are are jumpier than jackrabbits at a bald eagle convention - afraid their content will 'escape'.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 07:39 AM   #5
2010mini
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectronGuru View Post
Because Apple isn't controlling the authentication system and those who are are jumpier than jackrabbits at a bald eagle convention - afraid their content will 'escape'.
that is really silly of them
Old Sep 6, 2013, 11:05 AM   #6
slimjimtx
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
If you've got an ipad or iphone--its much easier to sign into HBO GO on there and just use airplay.
My experience with this has been that the iOS app signs you out after a period of inactivity, so I still have to type in my e-mail address and password (pretty much) every time you use the mobile version...

FWIW, I don't recall having to reverify any of my Apple TV devices, but I'm using UVERSE rather than FiOS...
slimjimtx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2013, 01:50 PM   #7
Lord Hamsa
macrumors 6502

PURE SPECULATION: I wonder if it isn't the ATV itself, but possibly that you're getting a different public IP address from your provider when your DHCP lease is renewed. HBO's servers may see that IP jump as a reason to ask for re-verification.
Lord Hamsa is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2013, 07:37 PM   #8
2010mini
macrumors 6502

Do you think running it by LAN instead of wifi will help? Hmmmm that would be about a 50' cable....hmmmm.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 12:24 AM   #9
ElectronGuru
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010mini View Post
that is really silly of them
This is part of same group that dug in their heals for the transition to HD, making us wait year after year while the competing standards 'shook themselves out'.

You don't get/keep power by doing good.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 05:53 PM   #10
hallux
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Hamsa View Post
PURE SPECULATION: I wonder if it isn't the ATV itself, but possibly that you're getting a different public IP address from your provider when your DHCP lease is renewed. HBO's servers may see that IP jump as a reason to ask for re-verification.
As long as the public-facing device doesn't change or go offline for an extended period of time, very unlikely. DHCP, while dynamic, will give you the same address as long as your device still has the "lease" on that address. My work laptop, while going home every night and weekend (and even offline for a week of vacation) maintains the same "dynamic" address that it's had forever and I don't have an address reservation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010mini View Post
Do you think running it by LAN instead of wifi will help? Hmmmm that would be about a 50' cable....hmmmm.
Won't help with a public-facing IP issue (if the post by Lord Hamsa is why you consider this option), that's beyond the connection from the ATV to the router.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater