Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Nov 12, 2012, 04:14 AM   #1
jimbo1mcm
macrumors 6502a

New iMac: Easy Access?

I like to be able to have access to my computers. The ifixit guide to disassembly of the 2011 Imac is great, but shows just how complicated it is. I was wondering if anyone had thoughts about the potential for full access to the insides of the new Imac, with the glass " friction stir welding!!". I guess we won't be using suction cups. Can we get inside it?

One of the reasons I was interested is I might get the basic 21.5 with the 5400 HD and put a SSD in instead

Last edited by jimbo1mcm; Nov 12, 2012 at 10:16 AM.
jimbo1mcm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 04:21 AM   #2
Macman45
macrumors G5

Well, ifixit are bound to do a teardown, but I wouldn't try it personally...I leave my Imac's alone. Apart from RAM upgrades, I'm not happy with the idea of splitting them open.

As you also point out, "Friction Welding" sounds like a "Stay Put" technology. I'm happy enough to open my MBP, but my MBA and my Imac remain as is.

I'll leave the heavy engineering to you youngsters!
Old Nov 12, 2012, 04:49 AM   #3
kaellar
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo1mcm View Post
glass " friction stir welding!!"
There's no welding to merge glass and metal together, I'm telling you. Friction stir welding is used to merge the rear cover and the front part containing Apple logo. I believe we'll still be opening the new iMacs in traditional way - by removing the glass(+display in new ones) with suction cups
kaellar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:10 AM   #4
Macman45
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaellar View Post
There's no welding to merge glass and metal together, I'm telling you. Friction stir welding is used to merge the rear cover and the front part containing Apple logo. I believe we'll still be opening the new iMacs in traditional way - by removing the glass(+display in new ones) with suction cups
Well, I always watch the teardown videos with interest...Just not a job I would relish myself.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:13 AM   #5
DrRadon
macrumors regular

It could be much worse when everything is shut tight, it could be much easier because the thinner design has stuff clustered up less on the inside.
DrRadon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:58 AM   #6
MojoRisinSD
macrumors member

It seems like it might be easier to get into than the previous gen iMac. I'm sure it will still use magnets and since the glass and display are fused, they will come off as one piece and there will be no worrying about dust or fingerprints.
Now I work on electronics for a living, so I may look at this a little differently than most, but I really don't think it will be too bad... UNLESS there is any glue involved at all!
MojoRisinSD is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:11 AM   #7
kaellar
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoRisinSD View Post
UNLESS there is any glue involved at all!
Oh, great point! Assuming Apple's late love for gumming the things up in rMBPs and iPads, we should have fingers crossed for new iMacs internals not being glued all the way.
kaellar is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac