Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics

Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:02 AM   #1
Dr. McKay
macrumors 6502a

Adobe CS licenses

If you buy an Illustrator CS6 license, does that give you the right to use CS3 and CS4 legally as well ?
I'm assuming you'd get a download link from Adobe for 3 and 4.
Have to do work that will be delivered in CS3 and/or CS4 but you can only buy CS6 now...
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:44 AM   #2
designs216
macrumors 65816

No it does not and I don't think Adobe will even sell you 3 or 4. However Illustrator will allow you to save to back levels so you can pass your work to project collaborators that haven't upgraded.
designs216 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:24 AM   #3
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

Yeah, I have CS2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and older versions of Photoshop. Adobe is pretty good about backwards compatibility. Most of the stuff you'd probably use in Illustrator is in all versions anyway. I used to go back and forth with CS5 and CS3 all the time, and a lot of times I bring my stuff from CS6 to the iMac running CS2 in my living room.

But no, every version has a different serial.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:31 AM   #4
Dr. McKay
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by designs216 View Post
However Illustrator will allow you to save to back levels so you can pass your work to project collaborators that haven't upgraded.
So basically, when I receive an Illustrator CS4 file to work with, and I save it as Illustrator CS4 from within CS6, there shouldn't be any problems ?
Old Jan 23, 2013, 08:41 AM   #5
aaron.lee2006
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to aaron.lee2006 Send a message via MSN to aaron.lee2006 Send a message via Skype™ to aaron.lee2006
It probably won't make a difference anyway between CS4 and CS6. Very specific tools perhaps.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:03 AM   #6
mkjj
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. McKay View Post
So basically, when I receive an Illustrator CS4 file to work with, and I save it as Illustrator CS4 from within CS6, there shouldn't be any problems ?
CS5 gives you an option to save back to Illly 3!!
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:09 AM   #7
designs216
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. McKay View Post
When you first save the file in CS6, Illustrator will warn you that saving will upgrade the format to CS6. Saving backward, you'll be prompted that some functionality will be lost by saving into a legacy format but I've found that this doesn't affect the primary functions that most people use.
designs216 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 04:46 AM   #8
Jim Campbell
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by designs216 View Post
When you first save the file in CS6, Illustrator will warn you that saving will upgrade the format to CS6. Saving backward, you'll be prompted that some functionality will be lost by saving into a legacy format but I've found that this doesn't affect the primary functions that most people use.
Agreed. You may want to check transparency-based effects and soft drop shadows if you're saving back a LOT of versions, but I've never noticed a problem saving back from CS5.5 to CS3 or CS6 to CS5.

Side note: if you branch out into InDesign, backward compatibility is almost non-existent. 5.5 couldn't even save back to CS5.

Cheers

Jim
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:02 AM   #9
PrePressAcrobat
macrumors member

[QUOTE=Jim Campbell;16716678]Agreed. You may want to check transparency-based effects and soft drop shadows if you're saving back a LOT of versions, but I've never noticed a problem saving back from CS5.5 to CS3 or CS6 to CS5.

Side note: if you branch out into InDesign, backward compatibility is almost non-existent. 5.5 couldn't even save back to CS5.

Illustrator made somewhat drastic changes to its type engine after Illy 10 (I believe) and another revision later. You will almost see type change when jumping versions - ie. Later versions can save a "copy" of the legacy type as curves "underneath" the new altered type when opening a file to give you a reference for rebuilding the type as before.
-
InDesign can certainly create "backsave" files. I regularly create CS3 files from CS6 for clients.
(Maybe I save back to 5 then 3 - I forget - but it is easily done).
Look into "Export to .idml

MSD
PrePressAcrobat is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics