Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Mar 14, 2013, 09:59 AM   #1
helpanoobout
macrumors newbie

Any recommendations for where to buy cheap Apple Laptop for iOS development

Hello,
Looking for the cheapest bare minimum laptop for iOS development. What specs would you say are needed? I'm just learning how to program so I just want to test it out first. Was looking for a 13" screen. Also, someone was telling me you can't replace the battery on some macs as they are soldered in place? That would be my only concern with buying used is that it would have horrible battery life and I would not be able to change it out easily. Budget would be sub $600. Is the latest Mac OS required?
helpanoobout is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2013, 10:06 AM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by helpanoobout View Post
Hello,
Looking for the cheapest bare minimum laptop for iOS development. What specs would you say are needed?
iOS Dev Center - iOS Developer Program
Quote:
To develop with the iOS SDK and Xcode, you must have an Intel-based Mac running Mac OS X Snow Leopard or later
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2013, 10:10 AM   #3
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
If you do this at home a Mac Mini would be an option and a cheap monitor.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2013, 10:17 AM   #4
helpanoobout
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by justperry View Post
If you do this at home a Mac Mini would be an option and a cheap monitor.
Yeah, I actually just bought a mac mini at home. I work on the road a lot though so I wanted a very cheap mac laptop for this. Any suggestions on places to buy used or refurb? Little wary of eBay/craigslist. Apple store refurb price is still pretty rediculous.

----------

I'm thinking about getting the 2008 model MB466LL/A Macbook. Is 2gb enough memory or should I be upgrading to 4gb?
Old Mar 14, 2013, 10:45 AM   #5
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Yeah, I actually just bought a mac mini at home. I work on the road a lot though so I wanted a very cheap mac laptop for this. Any suggestions on places to buy used or refurb? Little wary of eBay/craigslist. Apple store refurb price is still pretty rediculous.

----------

I'm thinking about getting the 2008 model MB466LL/A Macbook. Is 2gb enough memory or should I be upgrading to 4gb?
Think the only option is just that, Ebay and Craigslist.

For a few dollars more I would go to at least 4 GB.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2013, 10:57 AM   #6
helpanoobout
macrumors newbie

Yeah, think I will go for ebay. Thanks. How easy is it to change the battery on an older model say 2008? Read somewhere that some mac laptops had batteries glued or soldered or something like that...
Old Mar 14, 2013, 01:34 PM   #7
notjustjay
macrumors 603

If you can scrape together a little more, I'd consider a refurb MacBook Air from the Apple store. I've seen them in the $800-900 range. They'll last longer, have a warranty, and you won't need to worry about upgrading batteries or anything right off the bat.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 01:40 PM   #8
helpanoobout
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustjay View Post
If you can scrape together a little more, I'd consider a refurb MacBook Air from the Apple store. I've seen them in the $800-900 range. They'll last longer, have a warranty, and you won't need to worry about upgrading batteries or anything right off the bat.
Yeah, really not looking to spend more than $600. When do the 2013 models come out? Maybe I'll wait till then, prices for the 2009, 2010 models may fall some after that?
Old Mar 14, 2013, 04:17 PM   #9
notjustjay
macrumors 603

Quote:
Yeah, really not looking to spend more than $600. When do the 2013 models come out? Maybe I'll wait till then, prices for the 2009, 2010 models may fall some after that?
I think last year (and possibly the year before that, too) the updated MacBook Airs showed up in mid-July.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 05:06 PM   #10
rusty2192
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Yeah, think I will go for ebay. Thanks. How easy is it to change the battery on an older model say 2008? Read somewhere that some mac laptops had batteries glued or soldered or something like that...
2008 models are super simple to replace the battery. It wasn't until much later that they started making the batteries non-user-replaceable.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice