Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old Jun 28, 2013, 07:18 PM   #1
ayres
macrumors regular

2nd gen touch questions

Hi all, I just landed a 16gb 2nd gen touch that will be used strictly for music when in the car and videos for my daughter (when we're stuck in honolulu's terribly congested traffic)...

Given my other devices, I see no reason to do anything else with it. I have no expectation of downloading apps, so iOS compatibility is not an issue. I doubt I'll even set up mail.

My question is, is there any reason to run iOS 4 instead of iOS 3 (isn't iOS 3 what it will restore to)? Honestly, it's been so long since these were released, I don't recall the differences between the to operating systems. I just want the smoothest operation.

Also, would I be able to find an app to play avi, or should I convert movies for play in iTunes?

Cheers
ayres is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2013, 09:09 PM   #2
ohbrilliance
macrumors 6502a

My iPod touch 2nd gen is running iOS 4. The main feature that stands out is folders for apps. A full list of features can be found here: http://webtrickz.com/new-features-in...os-4-software/

I don't actually use it any more, as the battery only gives me a few minutes. It's served me well. I once had it running a PHP project on the Internet.
ohbrilliance is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2013, 08:39 PM   #3
frank.deale
macrumors member

I hesitated a bit before moving on to IOS 4 because I read that it slowed down many 2Gs, but I took the plunge a couple of years ago and have not looked back. I only use it occasionally for mail and weather checks but it was a great initiation to mobile computers, for me and my daughter.
frank.deale is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2013, 12:21 AM   #4
ayres
macrumors regular

good to hear guys, thnx

I can always revert back to 3, so I'm not too concerned.

also when first plugging it into my computer, will iTunes initially want to update to 4? or will it try to force me to iOS 5?
Old Jul 3, 2013, 03:09 AM   #5
moonman239
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayres View Post
good to hear guys, thnx

also when first plugging it into my computer, will iTunes initially want to update to 4? or will it try to force me to iOS 5?
The iPod touch 2G is not capable of running any iOS version after version 4.2.1, so that's the version iTunes will want your device to run.

Warning: The look and feel of the software might seem old.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 09:32 AM   #6
AppleCruncher
Banned

Yea, it won't restore back to 3. We have one kicking around here also.
AppleCruncher is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2013, 01:26 PM   #7
kaielement
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
good to hear guys, thnx

Not true once you upgrade to the highest version ios your iPod touch will run if you ever restore it it will restore to what ever version you are running currently on the iPod. And no it wouldn't force you to update to an ios that isn't compatible with the iPod. It will just ask if you would like to upgrade to what ever the highest ios that your 2nd gen iPod will run.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 06:53 PM   #8
ayres
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaielement View Post
Not true once you upgrade to the highest version ios your iPod touch will run if you ever restore it it will restore to what ever version you are running currently on the iPod. And no it wouldn't force you to update to an ios that isn't compatible with the iPod. It will just ask if you would like to upgrade to what ever the highest ios that your 2nd gen iPod will run.
hey, thanks for the clarifications...
Old Jul 3, 2013, 08:25 PM   #9
jonathan.c
macrumors newbie

Quote:
hey, thanks for the clarifications...
If you want new features, try whited00r. I have never used it before but I heard it gives your old hardware a few more years.

http://www.whited00r.com/features
Old Jul 4, 2013, 06:40 AM   #10
Bear
macrumors G3

Quote:
My question is, is there any reason to run iOS 4 instead of iOS 3 (isn't iOS 3 what it will restore to)?
Also, would I be able to find an app to play avi, or should I convert movies for play in iTunes?
Some of the AV players in the App Store might still run on iOS 4. That might answer your question of whether to upgrade or not.

As for conversion, the question is, will the videos be smaller, the same size or larger when converted for iTunes? If they're noticeably smaller when converted, it would be worth converting since you only have 16GB.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 09:04 PM   #11
ayres
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
Some of the AV players in the App Store might still run on iOS 4. That might answer your question of whether to upgrade or not.

As for conversion, the question is, will the videos be smaller, the same size or larger when converted for iTunes? If they're noticeably smaller when converted, it would be worth converting since you only have 16GB.
I noticed that av player, which I use on my iPad 2 will prob not run on a 2g touch - their details in the App Store say 3G touch and up... A ram issue. But maybe if the movie files are compressed enough and nothing else is running in the background, it will be fine.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 12:26 AM   #12
ayres
macrumors regular

So I received my 2g touch... Restored it - it was already running 4.2.1

Perfect for my music needs. I little lagy when scrolling through album artwork.

As a side note, it is amusing to use 4.2.1 after several years of newer iOSs. It's very unrefined in certain regards.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch