Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jul 6, 2013, 12:54 AM   #1
TH55
macrumors 68000

Help! My contacts just suddenly disappeared!

I have an iPhone 4S running 5.01. The contacts just suddenly disappeared! Wtf??

I hooked up my phone to itunes to restore from backup. I backed up earlier today and usually do at least once a week. When I went to restore from backup tonight, it only had the backup that it automatically did when I just plugged in but none of the other ones from the last few days, the only other backups were from 2011 and earlier. How is this possible?? I backup every time I sync to iTunes!

I'm going insane, somebody please help me.
TH55 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2013, 01:10 AM   #2
jer04
macrumors regular

The automatic backup will only save the latest one as far as I know. You should have made it stop when it was trying to automatic backup as you plugged in.

Do you sync your contacts with icloud or google? If so, the reason might be that you accidentally turned off the sync and all contacts would be removed from the phone because of that, but they could be easily retrieved by turning the sync back on.
jer04 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2013, 01:35 AM   #3
KUguardgrl13
macrumors 65816

I was in the Apple Store a few weeks ago and a lady there had a similar issue with her iPhone that was also running iOS 5. The Genius helped her get her contacts back from the iCloud and updated her phone to iOS 6. Really, truly iOS 6 isn't that bad I promise!

Your issue may be what is described here: http://tasel.wordpress.com/2011/11/10/whered-my-ios-5-contacts-go/

If your computer does not support iCloud it's best to not sync contacts that way. Sync through Address Book on your Mac if you have one or possibly through Outlook on a PC.
KUguardgrl13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2013, 02:16 AM   #4
TH55
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jer04 View Post
The automatic backup will only save the latest one as far as I know. You should have made it stop when it was trying to automatic backup as you plugged in.

Do you sync your contacts with icloud or google? If so, the reason might be that you accidentally turned off the sync and all contacts would be removed from the phone because of that, but they could be easily retrieved by turning the sync back on.
Oh crap. So every automatic backup removes the previous one? If this is the case it shouldn't automatically start backing it up, it should ask. If for whatever reason you accidentally deleted info on your phone and want to restore you shouldn't have to "catch" it in time right after connecting. That's risky.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 05:45 AM   #5
jer04
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TH55 View Post
Oh crap. So every automatic backup removes the previous one? If this is the case it shouldn't automatically start backing it up, it should ask. If for whatever reason you accidentally deleted info on your phone and want to restore you shouldn't have to "catch" it in time right after connecting. That's risky.
It is the case on my Mac. That's why I disabled the automatically sync when connected...
Old Jul 6, 2013, 08:39 AM   #6
TH55
macrumors 68000

Quote:
It is the case on my Mac. That's why I disabled the automatically sync when connected...
Oh there we go, perfect. That should be the default, frustrating.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 09:06 AM   #7
jer04
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TH55 View Post
Oh there we go, perfect. That should be the default, frustrating.
Do you have any backup on icloud? You might wanna look into that or maybe call apple to see if they would offer any help.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 09:53 AM   #8
oaktree
macrumors regular

Same thing happened to me. Because I use iCloud, my phone doesn't automatically sync when I plug it in. But I still had trouble getting my contacts from iCloud. I ended up just tapping the contacts app several times and then by some miracle they reappeared. Scary.
oaktree is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2013, 10:24 AM   #9
Beyinsis
macrumors member

I merged all facebook + icloud + hotmail contacts with my old 3gs. It was look fine. All contacts has picture + email adr. and facebook account.
I bought an ip5 and restored from icloud. %95 of facebook contacts are lost. Also when I add a new contact, it saves as hotmail account. I filtered hotmail at contacts list so I can't ser new contact on my list.
What's wrong with my phone?
My ios is 6.1.2
Beyinsis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2013, 06:50 PM   #10
TH55
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Do you have any backup on icloud? You might wanna look into that or maybe call apple to see if they would offer any help.
Yeah but the backup is from a while ago
Old Jul 7, 2013, 09:58 PM   #11
bjb.butler
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to bjb.butler Send a message via Skype™ to bjb.butler
Google Contacts

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone