Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 12, 2014, 11:23 AM   #1026
eattherich
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Berlin
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMJS View Post
I agree 100% The local Apple certified repair shop charged me $105 to replace my HD in my 27" iMac
My local one (Gravis, here in Germany) said I need to pay for their special C-Breeze chip that stops the fan speed changing. I told them that I thought that was only the case if I replaced the HD with another 3.5" but they won't change their quote. Plus, they won't let me provide my own drive (I want an 840 Pro). Instead, I have to pay them for the 840 Evo (which is more expensive there than the Pro is on Amazon) plus 5 hours labour at 20/hour. Hmm. Does your iMac still keep the warranty (or AppleCare) now that it's been opened up by a certified store?
eattherich is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2014, 11:50 AM   #1027
eattherich
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Berlin
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfg View Post
Yes, you can use the small SSD for Windows. Windows can be installed on the same physical disk, or on a separate disk without problem. I run Windows8 on an external Thunderbolt 256GB SSD (LaCie "Rugged") on my 2012 iMac.

While there are conversion brackets (IcyDock and simple metal ones), I would probably simply use "velcro" to attach the lightweight SSD.


-howard
Thanks!
eattherich is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2014, 02:25 PM   #1028
MrMJS
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by eattherich View Post
My local one (Gravis, here in Germany) said I need to pay for their special C-Breeze chip that stops the fan speed changing. I told them that I thought that was only the case if I replaced the HD with another 3.5" but they won't change their quote. Plus, they won't let me provide my own drive (I want an 840 Pro). Instead, I have to pay them for the 840 Evo (which is more expensive there than the Pro is on Amazon) plus 5 hours labour at 20/hour. Hmm. Does your iMac still keep the warranty (or AppleCare) now that it's been opened up by a certified store?
My iMac is a 2009, so the warranty was long gone. The technician told me what specs I needed and said I could use any HD. I bought a 2GB drive from Newegg.
__________________
2009 27" iMac 2.66 GHz Core i5, 16 GB Ram, 2 GB HD -- 2009 24" iMac 2.93 GHz Core 2 Duo, 8 GB Ram
MrMJS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2014, 10:32 AM   #1029
WilliamG
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Seattle
Quote:
Originally Posted by magbarn View Post
Which is what's expected as your Samsung 830 is a 2.5" SSD which doesn't draw power from the 12 volt line like a 3.5" HDD would do. Drop in any 3.5" HDD and since you're using >128gb blade SSD you will have higher RPM fan speed=noise
Question:

I have the Fusion setup in my 2012 iMac (128GB SSD + 1TB Seagate). If I replace the Seagate 1TB 3.5" disk with, say, - a 1TB Samsung 840 Evo 2.5" SSD, will there be any fan issues at this point? Or do fan issues only occur with 3.5" disks?

Thanks!
__________________
iMac, MacBook Air, Mac mini, iPad, iPhone, 55-11
www.bighugenerd.com
WilliamG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2014, 10:46 AM   #1030
eattherich
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Berlin
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
Question:

I have the Fusion setup in my 2012 iMac (128GB SSD + 1TB Seagate). If I replace the Seagate 1TB 3.5" disk with, say, - a 1TB Samsung 840 Evo 2.5" SSD, will there be any fan issues at this point? Or do fan issues only occur with 3.5" disks?

Thanks!
Hey. Look back a page or so to my previous posts as I had the exact same question. Basically, it doesn't seem like that will cause any problems as it's a 2.5" drive. I've not done it yet but once my replacement adhesive strips arrive I'll be grabbing a 512GB 940 Pro and cracking it open!
eattherich is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2014, 11:31 AM   #1031
WilliamG
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Seattle
Quote:
Originally Posted by eattherich View Post
Hey. Look back a page or so to my previous posts as I had the exact same question. Basically, it doesn't seem like that will cause any problems as it's a 2.5" drive. I've not done it yet but once my replacement adhesive strips arrive I'll be grabbing a 512GB 940 Pro and cracking it open!
Oooh fun. Well do let us know how you get on.

I do want to replace the 1TB Seagate with an SSD, so it would be good to see if this causes any issues. On my 2009 27" iMac I just had to short out the fan-sensor cable to resolve the fan noise, but on the 2012/2013 that's not possible. Since I use Windows (Boot Camp) a lot, I'd rather not have to do fan software since I'm not sure how well that would even work in Windows.

Anyway, good luck! Your results will determine my course of action!
__________________
iMac, MacBook Air, Mac mini, iPad, iPhone, 55-11
www.bighugenerd.com
WilliamG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2014, 11:54 AM   #1032
eattherich
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Berlin
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
Oooh fun. Well do let us know how you get on.

I do want to replace the 1TB Seagate with an SSD, so it would be good to see if this causes any issues. On my 2009 27" iMac I just had to short out the fan-sensor cable to resolve the fan noise, but on the 2012/2013 that's not possible. Since I use Windows (Boot Camp) a lot, I'd rather not have to do fan software since I'm not sure how well that would even work in Windows.

Anyway, good luck! Your results will determine my course of action!
Haha, ok. Well, it might be a couple of weeks before I manage to get it done but I'll definitely report back. If you're good to go then there's a lot of solid advice in this thread. Good luck!
eattherich is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2014, 08:26 AM   #1033
magbarn
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
Question:

I have the Fusion setup in my 2012 iMac (128GB SSD + 1TB Seagate). If I replace the Seagate 1TB 3.5" disk with, say, - a 1TB Samsung 840 Evo 2.5" SSD, will there be any fan issues at this point? Or do fan issues only occur with 3.5" disks?

Thanks!
You'll be fine as your ssd won't be drawing any power from the 12 volt power line only the 5 volt.
__________________
13" 2012 rMBP i5/8/512
15" 2012 rMBP 2.6/8/512
magbarn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2014, 10:40 AM   #1034
WilliamG
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Seattle
Quote:
Originally Posted by magbarn View Post
You'll be fine as your ssd won't be drawing any power from the 12 volt power line only the 5 volt.
Groovy. Thanks. I'm inching closer to popping in a 1TB SSD...
WilliamG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2014, 10:42 AM   #1035
eattherich
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Berlin
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
Groovy. Thanks. I'm inching closer to popping in a 1TB SSD...
Ah, yeah. The 1TB Evo is really tempting. As of now, I'm still set on the 940 Pro. If storage was more of an issue I'd get the Evo and be happy but I don't need that much so I think I'll be getting the 512GB Pro. Any ideas on which bracket to use? I'm still waiting for my replacement adhesive strips to be dispatched.
eattherich is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2014, 02:36 PM   #1036
WilliamG
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Seattle
Quote:
Originally Posted by eattherich View Post
Ah, yeah. The 1TB Evo is really tempting. As of now, I'm still set on the 940 Pro. If storage was more of an issue I'd get the Evo and be happy but I don't need that much so I think I'll be getting the 512GB Pro. Any ideas on which bracket to use? I'm still waiting for my replacement adhesive strips to be dispatched.
Haven't gotten that far yet. Assume you mean the 840 Pro, fyi...
__________________
iMac, MacBook Air, Mac mini, iPad, iPhone, 55-11
www.bighugenerd.com
WilliamG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2014, 02:38 PM   #1037
eattherich
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Berlin
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
Haven't gotten that far yet. Assume you mean the 840 Pro, fyi...
Ah yeah. I wish there was a 940...
eattherich is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2014, 03:34 AM   #1038
zuri
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu3Blood View Post
I just want to say special thanks to R.OG and zuri for their great contribution to this thread. Following the notes from R.OG and the tutorial that zuri posted on vimeo (http://vimeo.com/63435766), I've successfully upgraded my 27" 2012 iMac to a i7-3770 CPU after using it with a stock i5-3470 for about 10 months.
I am glad it helps :-)
__________________
MacBook Pro Retina 2,3GHz 16GB 512SSD 750GT
zuri is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2014, 07:48 PM   #1039
tylerdemar
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2014
1 of 2 SSDs unmounting

So I've been running the dual samsung evos via maxupgrades kit for about 2 months. I'm having an issue with one of the SSDs unmounting. Looks like the one that's using the module. Anybody having similar issues? (Also, I'm running them in RAID 0, not sure if that matters)
tylerdemar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:19 PM   #1040
sunstarfire
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfg View Post
Of course ... any drive can fail, whether single or in RAID. That is why we all keep backups, so we don't have to worry that our main drive will fail (which they don't all that often). Simply repair the drive and restore from your backup in the event that you have a failure. Meanwhile, enjoy the speed.

No big deal...
Wrong. If you create a single (virtual) drive out of two or more physical drives, you will double (or triple) the risk of a failure. It certainly is a big deal, and people should be aware of the fact that it is twice as likely that their drive fails. Listening to you makes me feel sick, because that is exactly the attitude that makes people lose their data.

To reduce the risk, create redundancy. Create a RAID which will copy all the data on one disk on the fly to another one, that way if one drive fails, replace it, and you are done. With your suggestion, if either one of the drives fail, I need to rebuild the whole thing and restore from a backup.

Which, by the way, is also becoming more and more challenging.... with 6TB of data, do you want to backup all of that onto DVDs or BDs?
sunstarfire is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can't screenshot, open Skype, delete files, open itunes.... delab99 OS X 12 Dec 19, 2013 01:45 PM
Refurbished and open-box Macs after Xmas? dogen Buying Tips and Advice 1 Dec 16, 2013 01:21 PM
open a single mp3 track with quicktime while others open with itunes quickquestion Mac Basics and Help 2 Oct 22, 2013 12:33 AM
Why does Finder open so tiny how can I set it to open in bigger window? bobright OS X 2 May 6, 2013 12:17 PM
Macs binding to Open Directory twice lotsofjam OS X 0 Feb 4, 2013 01:55 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:52 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC