Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6

Old Nov 6, 2012, 06:57 PM   #1
PDFierro
macrumors 68030

If you absolutely need transit directions, how are you faring with iOS 6?

I'm smartphone-less right now. Really the only reason I've opened my eyes to Android is because I absolutely need transit directions. I do think it is the superior OS, but there are things about iOS and Apple that I do like too.

So, if transit directions are a must on your smartphone, how's that going for you with Apple Maps? Should I just go ahead and pull the trigger on an iPhone or go Android?

I've done some searching and it seems like developers are making apps to integrate with Apple Maps.

Thoughts? Any must-have transit apps out there? Thanks.
PDFierro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 07:09 PM   #2
MozMan68
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDFierro View Post
I'm smartphone-less right now. Really the only reason I've opened my eyes to Android is because I absolutely need transit directions. I do think it is the superior OS, but there are things about iOS and Apple that I do like too.

So, if transit directions are a must on your smartphone, how's that going for you with Apple Maps? Should I just go ahead and pull the trigger on an iPhone or go Android?

I've done some searching and it seems like developers are making apps to integrate with Apple Maps.

Thoughts? Any must-have transit apps out there? Thanks.

Hopstep is awesome. Walking, transit, taxi...everything. Works in every major city I have hit in the US and extremely accurate.
MozMan68 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 07:59 PM   #3
Brazuca
macrumors regular

Third party apps have improved a lot since apple made its move. It's been working great for me, much better than google ever did.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 03:30 PM   #4
PDFierro
macrumors 68030

Sweet. I guess I just dismissed third-party apps because there weren't any at the time of launch, but it seems a pretty good solution. Not as easy as Google Maps, but nothing that should prevent someone from owning an iPhone because of it.
PDFierro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 04:14 PM   #5
orestes1984
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDFierro View Post
Sweet. I guess I just dismissed third-party apps because there weren't any at the time of launch, but it seems a pretty good solution. Not as easy as Google Maps, but nothing that should prevent someone from owning an iPhone because of it.
I've downloaded the Google maps web client as an icon for my iOS dock, not sure if I need it, but until Google comes along with something better in an app it's there, works the same and gives you reasonably accurate directions if your not local to the area.
orestes1984 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 11:48 PM   #6
csixty4
macrumors regular

HopStop is pretty good here in Boston
csixty4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 02:34 AM   #7
Kukulcan
macrumors 6502

For germany Google Maps Transit is useless as they don't have buses and trams.

The official app of the Deutsche Bundesbahn on the other hand is perfect. I am sure there are similar apps for most cities/countries around the world.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6