Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:27 PM   #1
dmw16
macrumors regular

What's it worth - 20" Intel iMac

On a whim I bought a 20" intel 2.16ghz c2d iMac on eBay that needs a new display. My plan is to replace the display and resell it.

What do these go for these days?

Thanks.
dmw16 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:40 PM   #2
TechyRod
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to TechyRod
whats it worth?

I have a display for that Imac sittin in my garage, the unit i have needs a motherboard which isnt even worth replacing, I dont see why a fully functional Imac this year model shouldn't fetch atleast $250-350 right buyer might pay 400 with things included. But this is just my opinion
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:32 PM   #3
phoenixsan
macrumors 65816

Two years ago.....

I saw same machine sold, albeit with a replaced motherboard going for $600. Mild use, good cosmetic condition, 4 GB RAM. Maybe adjusting for depreciation, use and cosmetic state, you can get $350-400.

Also, if sold through a online site, factor in shipping costs/fees

Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:36 PM   #4
spork183
macrumors 6502a

sold the 24 inch version of that machine for around $450 last week.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:15 AM   #5
Yebubbleman
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmw16 View Post
On a whim I bought a 20" intel 2.16ghz c2d iMac on eBay that needs a new display. My plan is to replace the display and resell it.

What do these go for these days?

Thanks.
Not enough to make that procedure worth doing.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:56 AM   #6
dmw16
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yebubbleman View Post
Not enough to make that procedure worth doing.
I like fiddling with things, so if I break even I'll at least be able to enjoy doing the work.

But it sounds like I'll at least make a few bucks.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:26 PM   #7
Yebubbleman
macrumors 68020

Quote:
I like fiddling with things, so if I break even I'll at least be able to enjoy doing the work.

But it sounds like I'll at least make a few bucks.
If you had a spare panel lying around, I'd say do it. But as it stands, you will likely not make back the cost of the panel. If anything, you'll lose money doing it. If the experience is worth the cost, go for it. But if you're hoping to make money, I can assure you, you will not.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:38 PM   #8
dmw16
macrumors regular

Quote:
If you had a spare panel lying around, I'd say do it. But as it stands, you will likely not make back the cost of the panel. If anything, you'll lose money doing it. If the experience is worth the cost, go for it. But if you're hoping to make money, I can assure you, you will not.
I picked up a panel too. All told I'm $227 into it.

Like I said it was on a whim. Quick research suggested $300-$400 but maybe I'm off. But I think I'll at least break even.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:51 PM   #9
Yebubbleman
macrumors 68020

Quote:
I picked up a panel too. All told I'm $227 into it.

Like I said it was on a whim. Quick research suggested $300-$400 but maybe I'm off. But I think I'll at least break even.
Two things to bear in mind: 1) iMacs do not retain their value as well as the laptops do. They retain their value much better than PCs, for sure. But they don't retain their value all that well. Your machine is six years old at this point and it, at the absolute best, can only run up to Lion, making it a poor buy for anyone, especially given that a Mac mini capable of running Mountain Lion (if not beyond) will cost $350. 2) I doubt you will get $300 for it.

Again, that ought to be a fun repair and that might, alone be worth the extra money, but don't get your hopes up on breaking even.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:12 AM   #10
dmw16
macrumors regular

Quote:
Two things to bear in mind: 1) iMacs do not retain their value as well as the laptops do. They retain their value much better than PCs, for sure. But they don't retain their value all that well. Your machine is six years old at this point and it, at the absolute best, can only run up to Lion, making it a poor buy for anyone, especially given that a Mac mini capable of running Mountain Lion (if not beyond) will cost $350. 2) I doubt you will get $300 for it.

Again, that ought to be a fun repair and that might, alone be worth the extra money, but don't get your hopes up on breaking even.
But I've got the box and everything

All good points. Maybe the lesson here is don't make quick-decision eBay purchases It's all good tho. It will be fun to try and fix. I'll tell you what tho, if I had a magic potion for fixing water-damaged MacBook's I could make millions.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:04 AM   #11
Spink10
macrumors 68020

Quote:
But I've got the box and everything

All good points. Maybe the lesson here is don't make quick-decision eBay purchases It's all good tho. It will be fun to try and fix. I'll tell you what tho, if I had a magic potion for fixing water-damaged MacBook's I could make millions.
So true - its hard to make much money off eBay - buying and reselling. However if you enjoy working on Macs and the experience that brings - then you have scored. I find working on Macs is a fun hobby.
Spink10 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice