Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:27 PM   #1
dmw16
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2011
What's it worth - 20" Intel iMac

On a whim I bought a 20" intel 2.16ghz c2d iMac on eBay that needs a new display. My plan is to replace the display and resell it.

What do these go for these days?

Thanks.
dmw16 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:40 PM   #2
TechyRod
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: South FL
Send a message via AIM to TechyRod
whats it worth?

I have a display for that Imac sittin in my garage, the unit i have needs a motherboard which isnt even worth replacing, I dont see why a fully functional Imac this year model shouldn't fetch atleast $250-350 right buyer might pay 400 with things included. But this is just my opinion
__________________
2010 Macbook "polycarbonate",2.4ghz,8gb ram,120 gb ssd boot, 500gb optibay ,Ipad 1st gen 16gb, Ipod touch 4 gen, Apple tv 3rd gen
TechyRod is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:32 PM   #3
phoenixsan
macrumors 65816
 
phoenixsan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Two years ago.....

I saw same machine sold, albeit with a replaced motherboard going for $600. Mild use, good cosmetic condition, 4 GB RAM. Maybe adjusting for depreciation, use and cosmetic state, you can get $350-400.

Also, if sold through a online site, factor in shipping costs/fees

__________________
Mac Pro 2012 3.06 Westmere version, 12 Core 64 GB RAM, 4 TB , iPhone 5 (black), Moto G 8 GB (black)
phoenixsan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:36 PM   #4
spork183
macrumors 6502a
 
spork183's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
sold the 24 inch version of that machine for around $450 last week.
__________________
"I'll buy almost anything if it's shiny and made by Apple..."
-Macbook Wheel Ad
spork183 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:15 AM   #5
Yebubbleman
macrumors 68020
 
Yebubbleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmw16 View Post
On a whim I bought a 20" intel 2.16ghz c2d iMac on eBay that needs a new display. My plan is to replace the display and resell it.

What do these go for these days?

Thanks.
Not enough to make that procedure worth doing.
__________________
MacBook Pro (15" Mid 2012); PC Tower (3.4GHz Phenom II x4; Radeon HD 6850); 5th Gen iPod touch; 2nd and 3rd Gen tv; iPad Air Verizon; Galaxy S5 Verizon
"Don't Cry, Eat Pie"
Yebubbleman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:56 AM   #6
dmw16
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yebubbleman View Post
Not enough to make that procedure worth doing.
I like fiddling with things, so if I break even I'll at least be able to enjoy doing the work.

But it sounds like I'll at least make a few bucks.
dmw16 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:26 PM   #7
Yebubbleman
macrumors 68020
 
Yebubbleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmw16 View Post
I like fiddling with things, so if I break even I'll at least be able to enjoy doing the work.

But it sounds like I'll at least make a few bucks.
If you had a spare panel lying around, I'd say do it. But as it stands, you will likely not make back the cost of the panel. If anything, you'll lose money doing it. If the experience is worth the cost, go for it. But if you're hoping to make money, I can assure you, you will not.
__________________
MacBook Pro (15" Mid 2012); PC Tower (3.4GHz Phenom II x4; Radeon HD 6850); 5th Gen iPod touch; 2nd and 3rd Gen tv; iPad Air Verizon; Galaxy S5 Verizon
"Don't Cry, Eat Pie"
Yebubbleman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:38 PM   #8
dmw16
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yebubbleman View Post
If you had a spare panel lying around, I'd say do it. But as it stands, you will likely not make back the cost of the panel. If anything, you'll lose money doing it. If the experience is worth the cost, go for it. But if you're hoping to make money, I can assure you, you will not.
I picked up a panel too. All told I'm $227 into it.

Like I said it was on a whim. Quick research suggested $300-$400 but maybe I'm off. But I think I'll at least break even.
dmw16 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:51 PM   #9
Yebubbleman
macrumors 68020
 
Yebubbleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmw16 View Post
I picked up a panel too. All told I'm $227 into it.

Like I said it was on a whim. Quick research suggested $300-$400 but maybe I'm off. But I think I'll at least break even.
Two things to bear in mind: 1) iMacs do not retain their value as well as the laptops do. They retain their value much better than PCs, for sure. But they don't retain their value all that well. Your machine is six years old at this point and it, at the absolute best, can only run up to Lion, making it a poor buy for anyone, especially given that a Mac mini capable of running Mountain Lion (if not beyond) will cost $350. 2) I doubt you will get $300 for it.

Again, that ought to be a fun repair and that might, alone be worth the extra money, but don't get your hopes up on breaking even.
__________________
MacBook Pro (15" Mid 2012); PC Tower (3.4GHz Phenom II x4; Radeon HD 6850); 5th Gen iPod touch; 2nd and 3rd Gen tv; iPad Air Verizon; Galaxy S5 Verizon
"Don't Cry, Eat Pie"
Yebubbleman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:12 AM   #10
dmw16
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yebubbleman View Post
Two things to bear in mind: 1) iMacs do not retain their value as well as the laptops do. They retain their value much better than PCs, for sure. But they don't retain their value all that well. Your machine is six years old at this point and it, at the absolute best, can only run up to Lion, making it a poor buy for anyone, especially given that a Mac mini capable of running Mountain Lion (if not beyond) will cost $350. 2) I doubt you will get $300 for it.

Again, that ought to be a fun repair and that might, alone be worth the extra money, but don't get your hopes up on breaking even.
But I've got the box and everything

All good points. Maybe the lesson here is don't make quick-decision eBay purchases It's all good tho. It will be fun to try and fix. I'll tell you what tho, if I had a magic potion for fixing water-damaged MacBook's I could make millions.
dmw16 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:04 AM   #11
Spink10
macrumors 68020
 
Spink10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmw16 View Post
But I've got the box and everything

All good points. Maybe the lesson here is don't make quick-decision eBay purchases It's all good tho. It will be fun to try and fix. I'll tell you what tho, if I had a magic potion for fixing water-damaged MacBook's I could make millions.
So true - its hard to make much money off eBay - buying and reselling. However if you enjoy working on Macs and the experience that brings - then you have scored. I find working on Macs is a fun hobby.
Spink10 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can I use an Intel "K" processor in late 2013 Haswell iMac? CompanionCube iMac 39 May 30, 2014 03:50 AM
Is it worth upgrading to Intel Core i7 on the MacBook Air 13"? Kacper244 MacBook Air 6 Jun 30, 2013 11:50 PM
Use G5 iMac 17" display on Intel 17" version robla64 iMac 0 Feb 27, 2013 09:33 AM
Worth it for 20" iMac? tonyy iMac 0 Nov 19, 2012 09:34 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:25 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC