Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

in2tech

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 23, 2012
So I have had my MBA for about 2 weeks and I am trying to look ahead to the future so I have sone a clean install already, etc... learning time machine, so in the future hopefully I'll know how to handle some issue's.

I started to download a large file and stopped it in the middle of the download as I noticed my SSD HD space go from the 80 GB to 13 GB. So I stopped the download and deleted the part that had downloaded but I could never get any of the HD space back. Ended up learning how to do a recovery from Time Machine. What exactly could have happened. How come I didn't get the space back by putting items in the trash and emptying it. I did restarts, shut downs, disk utility, and nothing would get the space back but a restore.

Putting this thing through the paces to learn about Mac OS again!

Thanks!

in2tech

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 23, 2012
It was about 55 GB ( guess I should of said about 80-13 GB). I was messing around mostly and was never going to download the entire file. But I still don't get how come it wouldn't let me delete it and regain the space. Especially since it never got even close to actually downloading that amount!

Guess I still have a lot of learning to do about my MBA and OSX since making this my main computer. Haven't had a Mac since the early to mid nineties. Been wanting a MBA for some time, and a new operating system helped me with my decision. Kind of gave me an excuse to get the MBA :) I was going to get one anyway just made the process faster!

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
It was about 55 GB ( guess I should of said about 80-13 GB). I was messing around mostly and was never going to download the entire file. But I still don't get how come it wouldn't let me delete it and regain the space. Especially since it never got even close to actually downloading that amount!

Guess I still have a lot of learning to do about my MBA and OSX since making this my main computer. Haven't had a Mac since the early to mid nineties. Been wanting a MBA for some time, and a new operating system helped me with my decision. Kind of gave me an excuse to get the MBA :) I was going to get one anyway just made the process faster!

Were you downloading through Safari or a torrent app (since it sounds to be the size of an uncompressed blu-ray disk). Most torrent apps will, I think, pre-allocate the entire size of the file when the download starts.

Regardless of what app you used, you're likely to find out most easily by googling something like "delete partial downloads app name"

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
It sounds like Time Machine put that file in local backups. Just turn Time Machine off then back on and the space will be reclaimed. Or you can just ignore it, and OS X will free up the space if you need it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.