Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 17, 2007
What's the best route for acquiring a cheap PC box for use as a DAW slave. I see cheap ones online but I want at least three 3.5 HD bays, a reliable power supply and it needs to be quiet. Quiet is very important but just minimum onboard graphics.

Should I drive to a FRYS and have a sales person help me with choosing the components?

Maybe have a shop construct one if they are competitive with costs?

Find a PC geek that will tell me what component to order?

Any thought on this?

spoonie1972

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2012
i did this for awhile running a hackintosh - worked great until i needed more cpu (of course, now those amazing i7 chips are out now, cheap by comparison!)

i'm with you on the noise though - i could not get the thing quiet. it's possible if you deal with the expensive specialty fans, but otherwise - since it's a slave and all - why not just have it in another room and screenshare/vlc it?

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 17, 2007
I've researched this and it look like if you want t cheap PC it will be noisy.

There's a room next to me but I gave it to my lady friend use it for her own space but she's not in there much.

I also have a high crawl space under the house. Maybe I could stick it down there if it's legal.

spoonie1972

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2012
http://www.quietpc.ca/

that might help.

i have my mac pro in another room - the only time i access it is when i'm tweaking a vep5 template. as quiet as they are, i'm happy to never hear it.

i'm curious about your crawl space having a legal issue?

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 17, 2007
i'm curious about your crawl space having a legal issue?

I probably could have a PC down there. I have seen houses with furnaces in their crawl space.

The issue might be installing an electrical outlet that would be code or just running an electrical cord down there. I do have a dead 220 volt line down there which I had put in during construction for a hot tube option. I think I could have an electrician install an outlet with a 220 to 110 converter and after running the cat cable down there and something stable to set the PC on with lighting, I would be good to go. With the moister barrier it seems to be dry and never very warm or very cold.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.