Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cfcboy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
Ive been looking to stream any type of video in the easiest way possible over the last couple of years.

Ive gone from placing my files onto a ext box onto my laptop to then hook into xbox and play from there. Then moved to streaming to xbox and works half decent but i do get problems with connection and some file types.

Last week I got apple tv and started to convert all my avi's into Itunes. After about 4 hours and lots of bordem I thought sod this i need something easier so had a long hard search. then I found AirVideo....

Ive tried a few apps/server streams and most have been poor or not what im after but I have to say this AirVideo is IMMENSE! I booted up my ATV3, ran the small AirVideo Server on my laptop and within a minute I could watch my entire video library stored on my laptop. Not only was it direct on the ATV but also my IP5 and Ipad2!

If a file is not in correct file it converts on the fly, it took all of 5 seconds to play a movie. You can control the entire library from IP5 or ipad and ask it to stream to ATV for full HD viewing on TV! You can even use it remotly over your phone connection. Ive been using it all weekend and its amazing.. hence why i though id share my love! :D

Poonz

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2012
Tecumseh, ON, CA
I've been using it for about a year. It's great for streaming to my iPad when watching shows and I don't want to lay in front of the tv or carry my laptop upstairs. Never used it with my Apple TV will try that out too.

Rushli0n

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2012
Thought I'd chime in about Air Video as well.

One of the best things I like is that if you buy a movie through iTunes and it comes with iTunes Extras, and you have your Movies folder in Air Video, you can actually watch the Extras right on your iPad. If you click play, it launches the movie in Safari and eureka you have your extras on the go.

I did attempt to Air Play the video from Safari to the Apple TV, but for some reason, that doesn't work...

PCforever?

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
Hi Guys,
For a complete ATV3 noob, would you please detail how airvideo is set up to work from my macbook?.... is it via my ipad.

Please excuse my ignorance

cheers and thanks for your time :)

Rushli0n

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2012
http://www.inmethod.com/air-video/index.html

This should detail to get the server setup on your mac. You basically just point it to folders on your desktop and as long as your computer is up and running you can watch the videos anywhere on your ipad. Then you can Air Play them to your Apple TV (in theory).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.