Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Actha

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2011
Hi

Installed Windows 7 Professional via BOOTCAMP on my new Macbook Air 2011 13" i5 (base model). All updates to Windows 7 and Apple software updated.

In OSX the Air is silent all the time, and the alu-body is room-temperature-like.
But in Windows 7:
When starting from cooled alu-body the Windows 7 causes no fan-noice the first 5-10 minutes. Even running Windows completely idle with 0-5% CPU activity the alu-body gets very hot in the top-left corner.
Slowly the fans kicks up in speed, and becomes very loud.

Just doing some few things in Windows 7, causes the alu-body to get extremely hot, and the fans at the highest speed = very loud.
CPU activity is still very low at 5%. No flash-browsing or anything else.

Scenario 1:
Idle in Windows 7, hot alu-body, high-speed fans. Restart to OSX, OSX starts. Slowly the fans start to slow down in speed. In 2-3 minutes the fans are silent and the alu-body is cool.
Therefore, I do not think it's a driver-issue with the fans. The speed up because of the heat...

Scenario 2:
Idle in Windows 7, hot alu-body, high-speed fans. Put to standby.
The fans goes off due to standby.
Open the lid after 10 seconds standby - Windows 7 starts - fans are silent even though alu-body is very hot.
Hmmm?

Anyway:
My dream was to do a little gaming at low graphic-setting, which the CPU can easily do on my windows-laptop with C2D ULV 1.3 GHZ.
But the fans are very loud, even when idle in Windows.

What is causing this?

Bonus:
Previously I have owned a Macbook Pro 2009 with two internal graphic chips. The high-performance graphic-chip was ON as default in Windows 7. That explains why the Macbook Pro got hot in Windows 7.
But that is not the case in the Macbook Air...?

Drivers:
I let BOOTCAMP assemble a USB-disc with Windows 7 .iso, which means BOOTCAMP integrates apple-drivers.
After Windows 7 installation, I installed drivers via the application created by BOOTCAMP in the USB-disc.

What can I do?
Has it something to do with the CPU-settings?

falconxp

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2011
The Netherlands
I disabled the cpu turbo mode in Windows 7 which keeps my Air 11 i7 relatively cool in Windows 7.:D

Control panel -> Power Options -> change active plan settings -> change advanced power settings -> processor power management -> maximum processor state -> On battery / plugged in : 100% -> 99%

Reactions: Drapoel

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
I installed Windows 7 on Bootcamp on my MBA yesterday. The computer was running quite and cool when I finished the installation. No issues. I was surprised as my iMac had gotten really hot and I went the virtual machine way on that one.

So then I started with the service packs, and Windows software for work(VS,SQL etc). Which in turn bought in another GB worth of updates.

Meanwhile I ran the Windows Experience Index to see what the rating was and I was in for a big surprise. I got an score of 7.2 on everything except the SSD!! It was 5.9 !!! Unbelievable. I get around 450 MB/s in mac using the Blackmagic test so no issues while I am in Mac.

So then I noticed that the fans were running at 4500 RPM and the temp was around 167 F. The top portion of my keyboard was getting hot. My battery was running out so then I plugged in the charger.

After a while when I went to unplug the charger it got very hot as well.

Something is draining power like crazy and then looking around the net for answers came up with this.

http://www.zdnet.com/the-other-hidden-cost-of-running-windows-on-a-mac-battery-life-7000000906/

Notice he says the SSD performance takes hit along with the battery in Windows 7 due to lack of appropriate drivers by Apple. And my Windows experience index, agrees with him.

This is the second Mac I have where running Bootcamp has become a nightmare and I have come to the conclusion that "Bootcamp" is another marketing Jargon by Apple and it really loathes and hates having to support Windows and gives half baked drivers which eventually will toast your computer.

I have given up bootcamp once again after having went through the same on my iMac to virtual machines.

Apple.. is a bag of hurt when it comes to supporting Windows. I understand their stance on this as they really don't want to pool in resources to a competing OS, but for god's sake the hardware is theirs and they advertise saying it runs on Windows. If they don't like to deal with Windows why not just stop bootcamp? So consumers can make a better decision on what laptop will suit their needs.

Have also been looking at Samsung and Sony laptops. Love the Mac OS and MBA for my personal use but I also need to be able to do some work when needed on Windows.

Have to decide quick before my return period is up on my MBA.

Last edited:

Drapoel

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2015
I disabled the cpu turbo mode in Windows 7 which keeps my Air 11 i7 relatively cool in Windows 7.:D

Control panel -> Power Options -> change active plan settings -> change advanced power settings -> processor power management -> maximum processor state -> On battery / plugged in : 100% -> 99%

Thanks for this post. The solution to the issue above works on my MACAIR 13" i7-2677M (4GBRAM) 64Bit Win7 ENterprise SP1. Regards Mikka

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.