Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lastmboy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 16, 2012
I can't find a single instance of this when googling, so thought I would try here. When I either perform a shutdown of my iMac, or set the default to bootcamp and re-boot, it automatically triggers an emergency shutdown on my CyberPower UPS. The UPS displays "2 minutes to shutdown", and then it shuts off. This is really inconvenient, particularly when re-booting to bootcamp, as it's about enough time for Window to be up and running when the power drops. It also hammers all my external drives, office phone, etc. If I restart from OSX to OSX, it works fine. If I restart from Windows to Windows or from Windows to OSX, it works fine. I have emailed CyberPower tech support, and they are blaming the iMac, since it only happens when coming out of OSX. If I unplug the USB cable to the UPS just before shutdown or re-boot, then everything is fine. CyberPower recommends this as the solution.

Has anyone heard of or experienced this? I'm wondering if there is a "tweak" somewhere that is telling the UPS to shutdown. I'd like to be able to tweak it the other way. Yes, I can unplug the cable to the UPS when I re-boot, but that isn't really a "solution". Any ideas?? :confused: Thanks.

retani

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2013
this is just what i am looking for

This is a very interesting post. In fact I am looking for a solution to trigger an emergency shutdown on my cyberpower DX800E. The reason is that I want a Mac Mini to restart when the power is restored. Up to now I have no clue how to do this. Did you gather any more information about how this happens? I am sorry that I cannot really help you but would be happy to share information.

ickystay

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2006
I thought some nasty iMac had caused the fleet of brown trucks to grind to a halt. Bad iMac! :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.