Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
This may be good news to some of you... not that it's 'early' when they were actually supposed to start on the 22nd, but still. Here's to overpaying and getting some back! :p

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-01-25 at 4.56.55 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-01-25 at 4.56.55 AM.png
    368.5 KB · Views: 131

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
So I guess the IRS is accepting returns early...

Edit. I see what you're saying now but my returns were accepted this early before. I double checked.

Last edited:

JoshMKB24

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2013
Midwest
Technically they'll be accepted anytime after the 2nd since the 1st is a holiday......just no company/organization would send out W2s/1099s/etc that early?

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
Overpaying not really a wise thing to do financially.

You're giving your money to the government for a year and getting no return when they have it give it back.

Still works out for the best for me personally. It's a forced savings. Sure, I could throw the extra couple thousand in the bank to accrue (pathetic) interest but I wouldn't. :D

JoshMKB24

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2013
Midwest

You're giving your money to the government for a year and getting no return when they have it give it back.

Well for someone like me in sales, its unavoidable. Since you are paid bonuses or commission they tax you like you are going to make that every week just so you don't end up having to pay any in.

Also, in theory its bad, because you are giving the govt a free loan and you could be investing the money yourself. I would venture to say 99% of people don't end up doing that. I work in finance and even I don't think I'd do that! :D

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Yep, I believe employers are only required to send them by the end of January.

I don't think a year has gone by where I haven't had to chase after an employer for a W2 or 1099 (I'm a freelancer). Every damn year.

I know!! I could have made like $4.66 in interest with that money!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The only risk is that you used software that is not based on finalized tax tables. I'll do my tax returns soon but I prefer to make sure my tax software is all set.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
The only risk is that you used software that is not based on finalized tax tables. I'll do my tax returns soon but I prefer to make sure my tax software is all set.

What do you mean? I'm no tax expert but my corporation allows us to log on the intranet and look at pay stubs, accrued paid days off, year-to-date income, tax withholding, etc. This is the same info that I'll receive on my W2, nothing will change so I see no harm.

djjclark

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2008
What do you mean? I'm no tax expert but my corporation allows us to log on the intranet and look at pay stubs, accrued paid days off, year-to-date income, tax withholding, etc. This is the same info that I'll receive on my W2, nothing will change so I see no harm.

He is talking about the preparation software you used. Lots of things changed at the end of the year and might have not made it in to the software yet. Some forms don't get updated for a couple months.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
I am still waiting on 1099s and I'm pretty sure the state turbo tax doesnt show up until sometime in february, so no sense in doing it til i can do it all at once...just got my w2 yesterday

JoshMKB24

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2013
Midwest
I am still waiting on 1099s and I'm pretty sure the state turbo tax doesnt show up until sometime in february, so no sense in doing it til i can do it all at once...just got my w2 yesterday

I use turbotax and claimed income in 2 states and finished mine. Anytime after Jan. 1st you can do your taxes as long as you have all your docs

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
I use turbotax and claimed income in 2 states and finished mine. Anytime after Jan. 1st you can do your taxes as long as you have all your docs

Dont the state downloads come later though? its been a few years since ive used turbo tax since i was out of the country where i couldnt get it and my returns were too complicated so i just did them old school by hand, but im going to get TT this year since i have a simple return again finally. I remember the state downloads always coming later on in february, and the availability varied by state, that seems to have changed?

JoshMKB24

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2013
Midwest
Dont the state downloads come later though? its been a few years since ive used turbo tax since i was out of the country where i couldnt get it and my returns were too complicated so i just did them old school by hand, but im going to get TT this year since i have a simple return again finally. I remember the state downloads always coming later on in february, and the availability varied by state, that seems to have changed?

I've used Turbotax since like 07 I think? I've always done them right away. As it stands I had income from 2 states and real estate in 2 states as well and I've always done mine right away. It just comes down to when you get all your forms in the mail or available online.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

He is talking about the preparation software you used. Lots of things changed at the end of the year and might have not made it in to the software yet. Some forms don't get updated for a couple months.

In fact I had an update waiting for me on my turbotax the other day. I'm almost done getting my financial ducks in a row (waiting on some various 1099s from banks and what not) but it just shows that software seems to be in flux.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I filed mine with H&R Block's software last night. My taxes are pretty straightforward so the latest update was enough for me.

They don't have Missouri ready, but MO has a fillable 1040 PDF on their website that's dead simple to use so I did that one by hand. H&R charges to e-file state, so I'd be printing and mailing it in anyways. 45 cents for a stamp versus $20 bucks for e-file. Easy choice. H&R Block can take their $20 e-file charge and shove it.

I kinda regret paying for the H&R Block software all these years though, I checked out TaxAct and I meet all the requirements for free prep and federal e-file.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.