Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Dec 3, 2012, 02:07 PM   #1
davidmgamble
macrumors newbie

How to merge multiple seasons of TV shows on ATV

Hello,
I love the updated iTunes interface when it comes to viewing TV shows. However, when I look on my Apple TV, running the latest software, it still shows me each individual season of shows. For example, when I want to move past all of the Seinfeld shows, I have to scroll all the way down through the seasons just to get to the next show. Is there any way to consolidate these Seasons into simply one folder?
davidmgamble is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 04:03 PM   #2
iHailCarlo
macrumors 6502

I dont think there is, just goes to show you that people like different things. I like to see every season, and dislike them being consolidated.
iHailCarlo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 04:51 PM   #3
DP812
macrumors regular

No, the Apple TV gives you very, very few options for organizing and grouping content. You'll just have to wait for either Apple to add that feature or for a jailbreak to be released (assuming you have an aTV3). At this point, I'm not sure which is less likely.
DP812 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 07:41 PM   #4
Omne666
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmgamble View Post
Hello,
I love the updated iTunes interface when it comes to viewing TV shows. However, when I look on my Apple TV, running the latest software, it still shows me each individual season of shows. For example, when I want to move past all of the Seinfeld shows, I have to scroll all the way down through the seasons just to get to the next show. Is there any way to consolidate these Seasons into simply one folder?
I've been waiting for 2 years for apple to redo it. That's right, redo it, as they had it right on the atv1.
I've just recently, like 4 days ago, bit the bullet and started collapsing my multiseason tv shows into one. Removing the season number and then sequentially numbering each episode so they appear in order on the ATV. Thought it was going to be painful but thanks to a script from Dougs Scripts, fairly easy and fast.
As the focus of the ATV falls to the first unviewed episode in a column, it works rather well as I don't have to scroll down to the next episode.
I label the episode ID with the original season-episode number so if I ever have to go back I've got a reference number in there telling me the original details.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 07:57 PM   #5
Omne666
macrumors 6502a

Actually, just thinking about this and the recent changes in the iTunes interface, this will still work regardless of what apple does. I like it even more now!
Old Dec 4, 2012, 04:21 AM   #6
NiklasK
macrumors member

Can you point me in the right direction to the script from Dougs site?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omne666 View Post
Thought it was going to be painful but thanks to a script from Dougs Scripts, fairly easy and fast.
As the focus of the ATV falls to the first unviewed episode in a column, it works rather well as I don't have to scroll down to the next episode.
I label the episode ID with the original season-episode number so if I ever have to go back I've got a reference number in there telling me the original details.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 04:43 AM   #7
From A Buick 8
macrumors 68020

I use smart playlist and playlist folders. I create a folder for each show and then a smart playlist for each season.

You have to click through an extra menu layer but it groups them just the way I like.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 06:24 AM   #8
GarrettL1979
macrumors 6502

Didn't apple just a release a new atv beta? Maybe that will fix the problem.
GarrettL1979 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 06:34 AM   #9
Pyromonkey83
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarrettL1979 View Post
Didn't apple just a release a new atv beta? Maybe that will fix the problem.
Not likely. This has been an issue since the ATV 2 was released. This will practically deserve it's own keynote if they ever fix it. Funny part is the ATV 1 worked perfectly fine with this...
Pyromonkey83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 06:39 PM   #10
flyboym535i
macrumors newbie

I believe this is the script - at least, if it isn't, it does the same thing. I just tested it in iTunes 10.7 (I refuse to upgrade to iTunes 11!) and it's working really well.

I'm using it to solve the same problem of TV shows showing up as multiple seasons in Apple TV instead of consolidated under the TV Show's name.

Apple really screwed up on the TV Show sorting since Apple TV 2... I have the 1080p Apple TVs now - I've owned each version since ATV Gen 1, and the sorting was never better than it was in ATV Gen 1.
flyboym535i is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 07:26 PM   #11
Omne666
macrumors 6502a

That's the right script.

And if apple do eventually fix this issue, you just really have to reapply the season number to the episodes, which is easy enough also.

Last edited by Omne666; Dec 16, 2012 at 08:34 PM.
Omne666 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:49 PM   #12
WebHead
macrumors member

I'm just holding out hope that if seasons were consolidated in iTunes 11, they will on Apple TV eventually too.
WebHead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:57 PM   #13
beatledud
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by From A Buick 8 View Post
I use smart playlist and playlist folders. I create a folder for each show and then a smart playlist for each season.

You have to click through an extra menu layer but it groups them just the way I like.
How? Where do you find playlists on the AppleTV for TV Shows?
beatledud is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:57 AM   #14
From A Buick 8
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatledud View Post
I am not at home now so i can not check exactly where it is. You have to turn on playlist in the settings on the Apple TV
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:08 AM   #15
dvdlovr24
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatledud View Post
Change playlist in the settings menu from music to all and then it will show the playlist option at the top of you movie/tv list.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:36 PM   #16
DaveGee
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omne666 View Post
I've been waiting for 2 years for apple to redo it. That's right, redo it, as they had it right on the atv1.
I've just recently, like 4 days ago, bit the bullet and started collapsing my multiseason tv shows into one. Removing the season number and then sequentially numbering each episode so they appear in order on the ATV. Thought it was going to be painful but thanks to a script from Dougs Scripts, fairly easy and fast.
Ouch... Although I own 2 ATV 2s and 2 ATV 3s I'm in the process of ditching them all and moving to XBMC ... I -really- like the ATVs especially their size and horsepower ... It's too bad they locked the 3s down so damn hard since finding suitable XBMC set-top boxes isn't as easy as I'd hope.

Perhaps we need to gift the ATV 'man in power' with the complete Law & Order Series ALL TWENTY SEASONS and the entire Stargate Series another TEN FULL SEASONS oh and add Smallville another TEN BAGGER... 3 TV shows will take up FORTY LINES on the ATV. Hmmm and X Files to make it hit FIFTY+ combined seasons.

Oh well... I'm done waiting... It's XBMC all the way for me.
DaveGee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:32 PM   #17
johnthebivvy
macrumors newbie

iVI Pro does the job

HI all
I use iVI Pro this does a great job, Just drag your files into iVI and if you use the correct season number and episode number make sure you select TV Show and of it goes searches the net ,tags your files,and if you set up the copy to I tunes It does all for you ,It stores the files in one folder with episodes all named and in order on the ATV3 and in I Tunes
john.s
johnthebivvy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 02:39 PM   #18
Ronnoco
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthebivvy View Post
HI all
I use iVI Pro this does a great job, Just drag your files into iVI and if you use the correct season number and episode number make sure you select TV Show and of it goes searches the net ,tags your files,and if you set up the copy to I tunes It does all for you ,It stores the files in one folder with episodes all named and in order on the ATV3 and in I Tunes
john.s
LOVE iVI...

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater