Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 3, 2012, 02:07 PM   #1
davidmgamble
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
How to merge multiple seasons of TV shows on ATV

Hello,
I love the updated iTunes interface when it comes to viewing TV shows. However, when I look on my Apple TV, running the latest software, it still shows me each individual season of shows. For example, when I want to move past all of the Seinfeld shows, I have to scroll all the way down through the seasons just to get to the next show. Is there any way to consolidate these Seasons into simply one folder?
davidmgamble is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 04:03 PM   #2
iHailCarlo
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
I dont think there is, just goes to show you that people like different things. I like to see every season, and dislike them being consolidated.
iHailCarlo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 04:51 PM   #3
DP812
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Japan
No, the Apple TV gives you very, very few options for organizing and grouping content. You'll just have to wait for either Apple to add that feature or for a jailbreak to be released (assuming you have an aTV3). At this point, I'm not sure which is less likely.
DP812 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 07:41 PM   #4
Omne666
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmgamble View Post
Hello,
I love the updated iTunes interface when it comes to viewing TV shows. However, when I look on my Apple TV, running the latest software, it still shows me each individual season of shows. For example, when I want to move past all of the Seinfeld shows, I have to scroll all the way down through the seasons just to get to the next show. Is there any way to consolidate these Seasons into simply one folder?
I've been waiting for 2 years for apple to redo it. That's right, redo it, as they had it right on the atv1.
I've just recently, like 4 days ago, bit the bullet and started collapsing my multiseason tv shows into one. Removing the season number and then sequentially numbering each episode so they appear in order on the ATV. Thought it was going to be painful but thanks to a script from Dougs Scripts, fairly easy and fast.
As the focus of the ATV falls to the first unviewed episode in a column, it works rather well as I don't have to scroll down to the next episode.
I label the episode ID with the original season-episode number so if I ever have to go back I've got a reference number in there telling me the original details.
__________________
One of everything. Don't forget the fries.
Omne666 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 07:57 PM   #5
Omne666
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Actually, just thinking about this and the recent changes in the iTunes interface, this will still work regardless of what apple does. I like it even more now!
__________________
One of everything. Don't forget the fries.
Omne666 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 04:21 AM   #6
NiklasK
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sweden
Can you point me in the right direction to the script from Dougs site?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omne666 View Post
Thought it was going to be painful but thanks to a script from Dougs Scripts, fairly easy and fast.
As the focus of the ATV falls to the first unviewed episode in a column, it works rather well as I don't have to scroll down to the next episode.
I label the episode ID with the original season-episode number so if I ever have to go back I've got a reference number in there telling me the original details.
__________________
Mac Mini 2.3GHz i7 (4GB RAM); iPhone 4 (16GB)
2x TV3; iPad2 (16GB/3G);
NiklasK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 04:43 AM   #7
From A Buick 8
macrumors 68020
 
From A Buick 8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ky Close to CinCinnati
I use smart playlist and playlist folders. I create a folder for each show and then a smart playlist for each season.

You have to click through an extra menu layer but it groups them just the way I like.
__________________
Homemade Interocitor, iPad 4iPhone 5 32GB Black & Slate, iPod Touch 4th and 5th Gen, iPad 1st gen, iPhone 4, Two Apple TV's, -- 21.5-inch: 3.2GHz Intel Core i3 iMac.
From A Buick 8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 06:24 AM   #8
GarrettL1979
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Didn't apple just a release a new atv beta? Maybe that will fix the problem.
GarrettL1979 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 06:34 AM   #9
Pyromonkey83
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarrettL1979 View Post
Didn't apple just a release a new atv beta? Maybe that will fix the problem.
Not likely. This has been an issue since the ATV 2 was released. This will practically deserve it's own keynote if they ever fix it. Funny part is the ATV 1 worked perfectly fine with this...
Pyromonkey83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 06:39 PM   #10
flyboym535i
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
I believe this is the script - at least, if it isn't, it does the same thing. I just tested it in iTunes 10.7 (I refuse to upgrade to iTunes 11!) and it's working really well.

I'm using it to solve the same problem of TV shows showing up as multiple seasons in Apple TV instead of consolidated under the TV Show's name.

Apple really screwed up on the TV Show sorting since Apple TV 2... I have the 1080p Apple TVs now - I've owned each version since ATV Gen 1, and the sorting was never better than it was in ATV Gen 1.
flyboym535i is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 07:26 PM   #11
Omne666
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Melbourne, Australia
That's the right script.

And if apple do eventually fix this issue, you just really have to reapply the season number to the episodes, which is easy enough also.
__________________
One of everything. Don't forget the fries.

Last edited by Omne666; Dec 16, 2012 at 08:34 PM.
Omne666 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:49 PM   #12
WebHead
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
I'm just holding out hope that if seasons were consolidated in iTunes 11, they will on Apple TV eventually too.
WebHead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:57 PM   #13
beatledud
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by From A Buick 8 View Post
I use smart playlist and playlist folders. I create a folder for each show and then a smart playlist for each season.

You have to click through an extra menu layer but it groups them just the way I like.
How? Where do you find playlists on the AppleTV for TV Shows?
beatledud is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:57 AM   #14
From A Buick 8
macrumors 68020
 
From A Buick 8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ky Close to CinCinnati
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatledud View Post
How? Where do you find playlists on the AppleTV for TV Shows?
I am not at home now so i can not check exactly where it is. You have to turn on playlist in the settings on the Apple TV
__________________
Homemade Interocitor, iPad 4iPhone 5 32GB Black & Slate, iPod Touch 4th and 5th Gen, iPad 1st gen, iPhone 4, Two Apple TV's, -- 21.5-inch: 3.2GHz Intel Core i3 iMac.
From A Buick 8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:08 AM   #15
dvdlovr24
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatledud View Post
How? Where do you find playlists on the AppleTV for TV Shows?
Change playlist in the settings menu from music to all and then it will show the playlist option at the top of you movie/tv list.
__________________
27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7, 1TB Fusion Drive, 24GB Ram, GTX 675MX 128GB iPad Air LTE 2 TB Time Capsule 3 Apple TVs 64 GB iPad Mini LTE
dvdlovr24 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:36 PM   #16
DaveGee
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omne666 View Post
I've been waiting for 2 years for apple to redo it. That's right, redo it, as they had it right on the atv1.
I've just recently, like 4 days ago, bit the bullet and started collapsing my multiseason tv shows into one. Removing the season number and then sequentially numbering each episode so they appear in order on the ATV. Thought it was going to be painful but thanks to a script from Dougs Scripts, fairly easy and fast.
Ouch... Although I own 2 ATV 2s and 2 ATV 3s I'm in the process of ditching them all and moving to XBMC ... I -really- like the ATVs especially their size and horsepower ... It's too bad they locked the 3s down so damn hard since finding suitable XBMC set-top boxes isn't as easy as I'd hope.

Perhaps we need to gift the ATV 'man in power' with the complete Law & Order Series ALL TWENTY SEASONS and the entire Stargate Series another TEN FULL SEASONS oh and add Smallville another TEN BAGGER... 3 TV shows will take up FORTY LINES on the ATV. Hmmm and X Files to make it hit FIFTY+ combined seasons.

Oh well... I'm done waiting... It's XBMC all the way for me.
DaveGee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:32 PM   #17
johnthebivvy
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
iVI Pro does the job

HI all
I use iVI Pro this does a great job, Just drag your files into iVI and if you use the correct season number and episode number make sure you select TV Show and of it goes searches the net ,tags your files,and if you set up the copy to I tunes It does all for you ,It stores the files in one folder with episodes all named and in order on the ATV3 and in I Tunes
john.s
johnthebivvy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 02:39 PM   #18
Ronnoco
macrumors 68000
 
Ronnoco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthebivvy View Post
HI all
I use iVI Pro this does a great job, Just drag your files into iVI and if you use the correct season number and episode number make sure you select TV Show and of it goes searches the net ,tags your files,and if you set up the copy to I tunes It does all for you ,It stores the files in one folder with episodes all named and in order on the ATV3 and in I Tunes
john.s
LOVE iVI...
__________________
2013 MBA 13" i7; MBP 15" 2.4GHz i5, 8GB RAM, Glossy; 27" ACD; iPhone 5 16GB black; iPad Air 32gb Space Grey; 2 AppleTV 3's; AudioEngine A5 powered speakers with Velodyne Micro Vee Sub;
Ronnoco is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:04 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC