Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:36 PM   #26
eric/

Quote:
Originally Posted by snberk103 View Post
I do know that we have fewer germs in our house than in public. And I do know we have less likelihood of having a truly nasty germ. But I also know that we have our fair share of ordinary germs, and I don't worry about those.
Prove it

Quote:
Nope, not ignoring that at all. We don't obsess about keeping our house antiseptic... we have, enjoy, and embrace our crop of household germs.
Great. What exactly constitutes a household germ? how do you prevent "non household germs" that you're scared of from getting in your home?

Quote:
However we are also not ignoring that there are exotic germs out there as well that the human body is not adapted to cope with.
So we take reasonable precautions - like washing our hands - to minimize the risk, and count on our immune system to deal with any that sneak past.
What germs is the human body adapted to cope with, and how does it become adapted to cope with germs?

Quote:
You yourself have said in other threads that you will take contrary views solely for the sake of argument. That is being 'provocative' in other words. Though I predict you will respond with the knee-jerk "no it's not" to move this discussion into semantics.
No, it's not being provocative. It's sharpening critical thinking skills, and looking at different perspectives.

Quote:
While you may claim that we can't hold you to points of view that you have taken in other threads, you can't as easily duck away from taking contrary views deliberately.
Yes I can.

Quote:
It was a fine analogy. Sorry you missed it.
Nope. Your turn

Quote:
Yep. And yep. I also put on the fan to minimize the effects and side-effects. I also wash my hands after pooping.
But you still smell it. So you've had fecal matter in your nose and body. That's as good as eating the same quantity.

Quote:
And I try not shake hands with people I know have just pooped until they have washed their hands.
You have literally no idea when somebody has pooped or if they washed their hands. Anything you touch in a public area has already been touched by plenty of people who have pooped and not washed their hands.

Quote:
It's called taking reasonable steps.
I disagree. I don't think paying attention to when people go to the bathroom, or holding my breath all day is reasonable at all.

Quote:
And.... ? So what? Poop molecules in my lungs are not easily passed on to everybody I meet and everything I touch. Poop molecules in the air are also not concentrated enough to very dangerous.
Right, but if there is something in there that could make you sick, guess what, you could probably make others sick. Even more so if you've ever flatulated in public.
eric/ is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:43 PM   #27
snberk103
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric/ View Post
Prove it
Ahhhh.... have we already reached that stage in our discussion? Sooner than I would have predicted.
Quote:
No, it's not being provocative. It's sharpening critical thinking skills, and looking at different perspectives.
See.... I predicted it....

Quote:
I disagree. I don't think paying attention to when people go to the bathroom, or holding my breath all day is reasonable at all.
Thank you for making my point. That is why I wash my hands on a regular basis.
Quote:
Right, but if there is something in there that could make you sick, guess what, you could probably make others sick. Even more so if you've ever flatulated in public.
I suggest you read up on "matter" vs "aerosolization".
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:56 PM   #28
noisycats
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple fanboy View Post
One guy even thought it was funny to use my mouth and keyboard to see if he could get me to catch his condition.
uhhh, what industry exactly do you work?
noisycats is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:58 PM   #29
PJ.
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glocke12 View Post
So about 3 weeks or so ago I was sick with the flu, and that eventually turned into a rather severe case of pneumonia. I ended up missing about a week and two days total of work because of that. In part because I didn't want to spread my germs around, and also because I had a fever of close to 103 for about 3-4 days straight and there was no way Id be able to do my work accurately like that.

Now, one of the people I share an office with is sick, seems like something entirely different from what I had (possibly strep throat although the guy refuses to go to the doctor) and has been coming into work every day since he fell ill last Friday...guy looks like hell and clearly is very sick..

Now it looks like Im sick with whatever this guy has...fever, sore throat...the works..this means it has pretty much been an entire month that I have been sick.

People, if you are sick, stay home...there is nothing admirable, manly, or "tough guy" about coming into work sick...its actually pretty ****ing selfish.
Praying for healing for you ASAP. Take care. Really hope for a better few weeks ahead for you.

PJ.
PJ. is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:17 PM   #30
eric/

Quote:
Ahhhh.... have we already reached that stage in our discussion? Sooner than I would have predicted.
Well if you're going to make claims and then say that mine are wrong, you should be expected to prove them.

Quote:
See.... I predicted it....
I predict you'll reply to this post.

Quote:
Thank you for making my point. That is why I wash my hands on a regular basis.
It doesn't prove your point at all. You have no idea when you actually touch the stuff, you just wash your hands at random. It likely doesn't even matter.

Quote:
I suggest you read up on "matter" vs "aerosolization".
No need
eric/ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:04 PM   #31
snberk103
macrumors 603

Quote:
Well if you're going to make claims and then say that mine are wrong, you should be expected to prove them.
Well the temptation is to say "You made the first claim, so shouldn't you prove it your claim first." But that get's even more childish.
Quote:

I predict you'll reply to this post.
Go buy yourself a small cigar. At least I predicted what you'd say. I even got some of the words right. I'lll treat myself to veggie chilli for lunch.
Quote:

It doesn't prove your point at all. You have no idea when you actually touch the stuff, you just wash your hands at random. It likely doesn't even matter.
But I do know. I know that when I'm out in public touching public things that I am putting bacteria on my hands that has come from the hospital, from other households, from other countries, etc etc. I know that when I shake hands with someone I am getting some of the bacteria from every surface they touched since the last time they washed their hands. I don't obsess about this... I go on with my day. And I wash my hands before I eat, when I get home, when I use the washroom ... in other words when I transition from a public place to our home, before I touch things that are going in my mouth, etc.

It's not random at all.
Quote:
No need
Well, the temptation is to say "Prove it" But I won't, too easy...

But I will say that you seem to think they are equally effective in spreading fecal matter.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:10 PM   #32
eric/

Quote:
Well the temptation is to say "You made the first claim, so shouldn't you prove it your claim first." But that get's even more childish.
Well no, you made the claim first.

Quote:
Go buy yourself a small cigar. At least I predicted what you'd say. I even got some of the words right. I'lll treat myself to veggie chilli for lunch.
Oh I could do that if you'd like a tour-de-force

Quote:
But I do know. I know that when I'm out in public touching public things that I am putting bacteria on my hands that has come from the hospital, from other households, from other countries, etc etc. I know that when I shake hands with someone I am getting some of the bacteria from every surface they touched since the last time they washed their hands. I don't obsess about this... I go on with my day. And I wash my hands before I eat, when I get home, when I use the washroom ... in other words when I transition from a public place to our home, before I touch things that are going in my mouth, etc.

It's not random at all.
Because the only way germs can get into your body is through touching other people?

Quote:
Well, the temptation is to say "Prove it" But I won't, too easy...
What am I supposed to prove?

you - read this
me - no thanks
you - prove it

Quote:
But I will say that you seem to think they are equally effective in spreading fecal matter.
Maybe you shouldn't make assumptions?
eric/ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:15 PM   #33
maflynn

[MOD NOTE]
Thread locked until a moderator can clean it up

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion