Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Jan 7, 2013, 08:20 PM   #26
Pngwyn
macrumors regular

In a completely silent room there's the FAINTEST hiss from the Millenia CT, but I'd say it is pretty much the same amount as the MM-1s which is hardly anything at all.

No doubt the MM-1s are better desktop speakers while the CT are better TV speakers, but I guess that's a given. I wonder if the Millenia CT would sound as good as the MM-1 if I got a DAC for it?

I am considering getting the Paradigm over the MM-1 though just so I can use it for both my computer and my TV. The quality is still pretty dang good and the bass sounds and feels really good. I decided to pass on the A2s because I don't like how big the speakers themselves are, it doesn't fit with my furniture very well.

Last edited by Pngwyn; Jan 7, 2013 at 08:46 PM.
Pngwyn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 08:29 PM   #27
macrumorsuser10
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pngwyn View Post
In a completely silent room there's the FAINTEST hiss from the Millenia CT, but I'd say it is pretty much the same amount as the MM-1s. However for me the MM-1s hiss is only audible if you are 1-2 feet away from the speakers really trying to listen for it. It's really insignificant in either unit.
I can't quite understand your conclusion with the CT speakers. When you say that the "MM-1s hiss is only audible if you are 1-2 feet away from the speakers really trying to listen for it", are you implying that the CT speakers' hiss is audible not only at 1-2 feet but even further away?
Old Jan 7, 2013, 08:43 PM   #28
Pngwyn
macrumors regular

The hiss is the same for both units and pretty insignificant from my experience. People complaining about it either have sensitive hearing or faulty units.

..or I have bad hearing, but if that means built in hiss-protection, so be it
Old Jan 7, 2013, 09:11 PM   #29
macrumorsuser10
macrumors regular

I am wondering what's the best way to remove the hiss? Is it coming from the electrical wiring in my house? Have you tried power line conditioners, like from Furman or Panamax?

For example: http://www.amazon.com/Panamax-M5400-.../dp/B000SXWGAG
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:53 PM   #30
Pngwyn
macrumors regular

I'm not sure, sorry I have no hissing problems.

As much as I like the MM-1's clarity, I am starting to like the Millenia CT more... some music really needs that extra bass from the subwoofer and sometimes it just feels like the MM-1 is lacking something. I also started plugging the CT in through my Apogee ONE now, supposedly it's supposed to function as a DAC and make it clearer?

Not really sure, but I do like the Paradigm CT setup a lot for my desktop. I'm having a surprisingly hard time deciding which I like better though.

Last edited by Pngwyn; Jan 7, 2013 at 11:17 PM.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 02:27 PM   #31
macrumorsuser10
macrumors regular

Quote:
I'm not sure, sorry I have no hissing problems.
Not sure I understand. Previously you said "I can hear the hiss".

Quote:
As much as I like the MM-1's clarity, I am starting to like the Millenia CT more... some music really needs that extra bass from the subwoofer and sometimes it just feels like the MM-1 is lacking something. I also started plugging the CT in through my Apogee ONE now, supposedly it's supposed to function as a DAC and make it clearer?

Not really sure, but I do like the Paradigm CT setup a lot for my desktop. I'm having a surprisingly hard time deciding which I like better though.
If you can turn off the subwoofer, do the CT's satellites sound as good as the MM-1?
Old Jan 8, 2013, 03:17 PM   #32
JohnLT13
macrumors 6502

I going to demo the B&W M1s tomorrow. Will be using my MBA as a audio source. Will post results. Im very interested in this hissing problem.
JohnLT13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 04:05 PM   #33
Pngwyn
macrumors regular

There's no hissing problem. Hearing a super faint hiss when your ear is basically up to the speaker isn't a "problem" by any means. It's a super trivial issue and is basically non-existant, at least for me. I don't know how else to emphasize how insignificant the "hiss" is; the focus is really on the quality of these speakers.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:51 PM   #34
Pngwyn
macrumors regular

So I ended up sticking with the MM-1s. I found out that using the Audio MIDI Setup in OSX you can actually have a sub plugged in with the MM-1s. Right now I'm using the Millenia CT speakers with the MM-1s and it's amazing. I will be retuning the CTs and have a Corsair SP2500 system for the sub on the way.

I spent hours testing the Millenia CT, MM-1, and Focal XS 2.1 units. In the end I still found the MM-1 to be the best quality, though lacking a little bass. Once I found out I could use them with a sub, I immediately picked them up and have been enjoying the best listening experience I've ever had

Shame for those who are having hissing problems.....
Old Mar 15, 2013, 10:36 AM   #35
agoston.berko
macrumors newbie

MM1 with SUB

How could You use a sub with mm1 ?
agoston.berko is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2013, 10:46 AM   #36
Htin
macrumors regular

Quote:
So I ended up sticking with the MM-1s. I found out that using the Audio MIDI Setup in OSX you can actually have a sub plugged in with the MM-1s. Right now I'm using the Millenia CT speakers with the MM-1s and it's amazing. I will be retuning the CTs and have a Corsair SP2500 system for the sub on the way.

I spent hours testing the Millenia CT, MM-1, and Focal XS 2.1 units. In the end I still found the MM-1 to be the best quality, though lacking a little bass. Once I found out I could use them with a sub, I immediately picked them up and have been enjoying the best listening experience I've ever had

Shame for those who are having hissing problems.....
how do you link the MM1s with a sub???

Here's my setup...

Htin is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice