Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

absolut_mac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 30, 2003
Dallas, Texas
I have about 30 compact cassettes of music that I compiled from my long gone LP collection that I would like to convert and transfer to my HD. Fortunately I still have an excellent player to play them with, but that still leaves the problem of tape hiss.

Any recommendations for software that will remove as much tape hiss as possible but without degrading the sound? The only one that I'm aware of is Sound Soap - surely there's got to be more and better options out there than only that one?

Thanks in advance for your help.

PS Hopefully I put this in the right sub-forum, or would it be better to post this in the software sub-forum?

fsck-y dingo

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
I have about 30 compact cassettes of music that I compiled from my long gone LP collection that I would like to convert and transfer to my HD. Fortunately I still have an excellent player to play them with, but that still leaves the problem of tape hiss.

Any recommendations for software that will remove as much tape hiss as possible but without degrading the sound? The only one that I'm aware of is Sound Soap - surely there's got to be more and better options out there than only that one?

Thanks in advance for your help.

PS Hopefully I put this in the right sub-forum, or would it be better to post this in the software sub-forum?

Audacity has the feature you're looking for and it's a free, open source, application.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net

Here's a tip for cassette noise removal from their wiki page: http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Noise_Removal#Special_cases

I really don't know much about removing noise so hopefully this helps. Good luck! Oh, and the Digital Audio sub-forum would probably be better for this type of question.

https://forums.macrumors.com/forums/81/

SparkyCanada

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2008
Too young to remember other tape formats like 8-track, reel-to-reel, etc? :D

Actually - never used the term "compact" with cassette - they were just cassettes....:D

Grew up placing matchbooks in my 8-track machine between the tape and the chassis - so it would play properly....:D:D

SparkyCanada

fsck-y dingo

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
I posted on the Digital Audio sub-forum and got a few more suggestions. Thanks for your help and suggestions.

You're welcome. Good luck!

Actually - never used the term "compact" with cassette - they were just cassettes....:D

I feel a little better now. :)

I always called them either cassettes or tapes. I remember seeing Compact Cassette printed on a few so I recognized what it was right away.

Grew up placing matchbooks in my 8-track machine between the tape and the chassis - so it would play properly....:D:D

SparkyCanada

You'd think Nintendo would have learned before creating the NES. I always had to stick a second game cartridge in backwards so the one I was trying to play would stay down.

7enderbender

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2012
North East US
Audacity will work well if used carefully and conservatively. I wouldn't try to kill all tape hiss since it may effect other stuff in that same frequency range. Don't remember what the actual frequencies are but they're clearly low enough to affect other high frequency sounds.

If you have a good tape deck you might want to try the build in NR first and then boost highs later in Audacity (or similar program). For eliminating tape hiss between songs and such I would try a gate also.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.