Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reg88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
For my external (firewire 800) scratch drive, is there a "best way" to set it up? I am planning to make sure that:

1) CS6 (audition and premiere pro) are using it for scratch

2) screenflow is using it as the temp folder

3) all of the audio and video files I'm working on are stored on this drive while they are being edited/processed.

For whatever it's worth the only reason I'm using scratch is because I've read here that it's a best practice in terms of taking the extra read/write cycles off my fusion drive.

Thank you.

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
For my external (firewire 800) scratch drive, is there a "best way" to set it up?

What do you mean set up? Where to place folders?

Personally, for folders, for Premiere Pro, I have it set up like this:

• Hard drive
    • Projects
      • Project Folder
        • Video Files
        • Audio Files
        • Premiere Pro Preview Files
        • Premiere Pro Auto-Save
        • After Effects Auto-Save (If the project requires After Effects)
        • Exports
        • Project file itself
        • After Effects project itself (If the project requires After Effects)

Sometimes I may have several folders in the video/audio folders, for instance, for raw footage and proxies, depending on the project, but that's my basic set up.

Some people like to have a folder for the project file...but I very rarely need to make more than one project file, so it's a waste of time for me to click into another folder.

The Premiere Pro preview and auto-save files always automatically get created for me, since I have it set to 'Same as Project', whereby it will just put it within the folder that the project is in.

Everything is stored in a single project folder, this way I can easily move it across to other drives or delete it in one go, rather than looking through multiple folders trying to find each asset.

Reg88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
What do you mean set up? Where to place folders?

Personally, for folders, for Premiere Pro, I have it set up like this:

• Hard drive
    • Projects
      • Project Folder
        • Video Files
        • Audio Files
        • Premiere Pro Preview Files
        • Premiere Pro Auto-Save
        • After Effects Auto-Save (If the project requires After Effects)
        • Exports
        • Project file itself
        • After Effects project itself (If the project requires After Effects)

Sometimes I may have several folders in the video/audio folders, for instance, for raw footage and proxies, depending on the project, but that's my basic set up.

Some people like to have a folder for the project file...but I very rarely need to make more than one project file, so it's a waste of time for me to click into another folder.

The Premiere Pro preview and auto-save files always automatically get created for me, since I have it set to 'Same as Project', whereby it will just put it within the folder that the project is in.

Everything is stored in a single project folder, this way I can easily move it across to other drives or delete it in one go, rather than looking through multiple folders trying to find each asset.

Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.