Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
I never said it was special. I was just proving that it could be seen on chrome on the mac.
I never said it was special. I was just proving that it could be seen on Leopard.

Next time, track the conversation better instead of jumping in please.

Thank you very much!

;-)

----------

Safari is for me I see no reasons to waste hard drive/SSD space for adding huge FireFox and Chrome files!!
The Firefox .dmg-file is much smaller than the Safari .pkg file.

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
I never said it was special. I was just proving that it could be seen on Leopard.

Thank you very much!

;-)

----------

The Firefox .dmg-file is much smaller than the Safari .pkg file.

Oh great, trying to use my own words against me. It ain't workin'. You did say it was "nothing special". But, since you want to argue back in forth so much I'll end here.

Anyway, sorry for jumping on you there. Guess i got irritated by your slightly cynical tone.

Toadkillerdog

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2008
I generally use safari but to surf secure navy websites with my CAC reader safari often is incompatible with the website. For example, Navy Knowledge online will not allow me to open courses in safari but chrome has no problem. Government is still using Win XP almost three OS versions behind.

Anyhow safari is convenient and I usually use it over chrome except for above.

azpekt

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2012
hp, illinois
Used Safari all time long while on Mac. Before that, I was on Linux/Solaris desktops, and gents, I seriously miss all the plugins on Firefox.

If only Vimperator would work on Safari - that would made me a happy person...

FFX definately slow compared to Safari on load, but it head and shoulders above it in terms of functionality and plugins. And this annoying Safari habit to reload page when you hit/slide back is just driving me nuts.

Cheers.

sinser

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
I like Safari a lot, I love the UI and features like iCloud synch, read it later and the social options. Honestly I don't find Chrome any faster and see no reason to use it on the Mac. Firefox UI is just horrible IMO and I don't use it.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
I prefer.....

Firefox over any other browser. My only use for Safari right now, with all the complaints about, it is in a Windows machine for sequentially download group of files without renaming it all, one by one:(

:):apple:

wcdamsch

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2011
I use Chrome for most of my surfing. Why? Safari is a little slower for me and has this annoying habit of not returning to the same point on the previous webpage after hitting the back button or gesture. Safari does not do this on all websites but it does on the MacRumors site for some reason. It's not an issue with Chrome. Maybe something to do with the gesture settings?

HMI

Contributor
May 23, 2012
How do you get rid of the ad spam? It seems to be overwhelming me.....

I've tried to like safari a bunch of times, but always end up going back to Firefox.
If I have to choose between speed or personal security and privacy, the latter wins every time!

For additional security, I load a bunch of FF add-on extensions (some of which are available for safari as well):

Adblock Plus
Collusion
NoScript
Ghostery
Better Privacy
TrackerBlock

Then of course all the basic things like:
No Facebook
No Google
No twitter
Etc.

Also add filters to block sites like:
DoubleClick.net
Viglink.com
Google AdSense

Also, watch this video about newer technologies and activities used in web tracking:
http://www.ted.com/talks/gary_kovacs_tracking_the_trackers.html

Install all these add-on extensions and visit Macrumors.com to see just how many third-party servers are normally aware of your presence here, but were blocked now. Imagine what may be happening on shadier sites!

For the record, I happen to be on Win 7 now, but am trying to get another Mac soon. Some of these add-on extensions might not be available on the Mac version of Firefox.

Last edited:

Blakeasd

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2009
My Reasons:

1. Core Animation Scrolling

2. iOS Device Syncing

3. Best web browser UI on OS X

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
I've tried to like safari a bunch of times, but always end up going back to Firefox.
Me too. Safari seems to offer best battery life especially if you don't use gfxCardStatus on the 15".

Me I never could stand the usability. Ended up installing various add-ons which always have been of such crappy quality that I never could bear it for long.
I already think Chrome is a step down from Opera but Opera on Mac gave me too much trouble since 10.6 and I never tried to migrate back. Chrome is okay and the GUI and Usability is way better than Safari.

To me Safari is only for those that like useless animations and otherwise don't expect much from a browser or never used a better one.

Firefox is my secondary primarily because it still offers exclusively some of the most powerful and best add-ons. I only use it when I need those.

pedromartins

Suspended
Sep 7, 2012
Porto, Portugal
Me too. Safari seems to offer best battery life especially if you don't use gfxCardStatus on the 15".

Me I never could stand the usability. Ended up installing various add-ons which always have been of such crappy quality that I never could bear it for long.
I already think Chrome is a step down from Opera but Opera on Mac gave me too much trouble since 10.6 and I never tried to migrate back. Chrome is okay and the GUI and Usability is way better than Safari.

To me Safari is only for those that like useless animations and otherwise don't expect much from a browser or never used a better one.

Firefox is my secondary primarily because it still offers exclusively some of the most powerful and best add-ons. I only use it when I need those.

Don't be a fool.

Safari is much faster, has great Facebook/twitter/icloud integration, has amazing gestures (when you get used to them, you can't go to another browser), great UI, extra features (read later, etc). It just works better.

The only people I know that use chrome is related to windows.

Also, chrome uses much more CPU and kills battery life, while firefox besides looking old has no gestures (do you seriously still go with the mouse pointer and click those arrows?).

Jord5i

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2012
I prefer safari over firefox for a couple of reasons
- nicer UI
- iCloud
- Firefox (I didn't think I would really notice this, but I did) has a terrible scrolling compared to safari, which is a lot smoother.

I use firefox for webdevelopment stuff, safari for everything else.

AppleDeviceUser

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
Canada
If Im not mistaken 5% of users are Safari. What advantages does this application has over Firefox or Chrome?

Ive been testing Safari and I find Firefox to be way superior. Am I missing something?

Well Safari (Version 6.0) has iCloud tabs that sync to your 'iDevice' running iOS 6.0 or later; it allows extensions such as ad blocker or google translate; plus it works seamlessly with all other Mac apps, iOS apps and iCloud; it also has 'Reader' that removes ads and anything else from a page and makes the font size bigger for an enjoyable reading experience. There are a lot more features that I could list however it all comes down to what YOU like to use not what other people say you should use. I use Safari, thats what I like :) Have a great day! -Dave

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Having alternated between safari and chrome for some time now, I find that chrome tends to lag when scrolling through image heavy websites, while safari remains just as smooth.

I also use safari for iCloud integration with my iPhone and ipad, since I find that chrome for iOS seems slower than safari, and the latter offers full-screen landscape browsing.

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
My guess is that users of non Apple apps use them on a Mac because they are [ex]Windows users. I don't like Firefox or Chrome because they strike me as unApplelike.

How are they "unApplelike"? I'm not trying to be snarky, I'm honestly asking. I see this said alot around here, but I'm not sure what it means. They all pretty much look the same to me.

MUBiomed

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2010
I too often switch between chrome and safari. I would stick with Safari if it would get rid of its habit to refresh pages when going back. I just want the previous page to show up...I do not need a refresh Safari.

Firefox looks like crap IMO and is laggy. I was always a chrome guy on windows though too, so perhaps it's bias.

opinioncircle

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2009
Safari is my banking browser, because of the safe guard I hope Apple has on it.

Firefox still is my go to guy, but Chrome has been my test field for a few weeks now. The flash is better treated both on Firefox and Safari than it is on Chrome (go look the NBA Daily Zap on Chrome, not working for me).

interbear

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2012
UK
I'm happy using Safari on my Mac and iOS devices, it's quick, easy to use and integrates nicely. The bookmark sync is useful across those devices.

I use Chrome on my work Windows laptop though, it's the best browser in Windows world by a mile.

ZenErik

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2007
Massachusetts
I use Safari because of iCloud. I've been a Chrome user for a longer time, but Safari has been mostly good. There are certainly some bugs that need to be addressed.

esskay

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2008
I use all three, for work I often need to log in as different users for the same site. I find of the three I most often use Safari and Chrome for productivity and use Firefox with Firebug for mild debugging.

Lately, Chrome is not displaying YouTube videos (audio only, video is blank). I've goggled it a couple times but the stated solutions don't seem to work for me (besides restarting). Has anyone else experienced this or found a reliable solution for it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.