[iPad Mini] Consumer Reports on iPad Mini - Page 2 - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Dec 4, 2012, 11:27 AM   #26
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic311 View Post
...using your example of a graphics card - i said that apple has so much money and resources that it would be capable of developing its own custom graphics card that would provide extra graphics capabilities in the MBA 11". it wouldn't be cost effective for them to do so, with margins in mind.
You missed the part where I said without increasing wieght, thickness and running hotter. Its impossible to do this, a discrete GPU will always require more space than a shared card, and it will always run hotter. Apple has the Money to create it's own graphics cards, but money can't overcome certain laws of physics. Just like no amount of money will get a Retina screen in the Mini without it being thicker, heavier and run hotter and still keep the 10 hour battery life.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 05:37 PM   #27
richardmu
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
The question was "Overpriced compared to what?" to which I answered with the other tablets. Its immaterial whether amazon is selling it at cost or not. The bottom line is that to the consumer, the iPad represents a much higher cost and I really do not care how that benefits apple's shareholders.

With that said, I own an iPad mini, but lets be clear its probably the most expensive 7" tablet out on the market.
I bought a Kindle Fire HD for far less than the mini. A very good tablet.

However, still tried a mini but was not impressed. It felt like a bit of a an expensive kiddies toy so returned it.

Have now bought an iPad 4 to partner my iPad 2 which will probably go on ebay some time soon. You really can't beat a big boys tablet!
richardmu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 05:45 PM   #28
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrkactjob View Post
Reviews are so subjective, you really have to see the film or product for yourself.
Agreed. Although, I tend to look at multiple reviews for products that I am about to purchase.
ucfgrad93 is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 07:43 PM   #29
Medic311
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by darngooddesign View Post
You missed the part where I said without increasing wieght, thickness and running hotter. Its impossible to do this, a discrete GPU will always require more space than a shared card, and it will always run hotter. Apple has the Money to create it's own graphics cards, but money can't overcome certain laws of physics. Just like no amount of money will get a Retina screen in the Mini without it being thicker, heavier and run hotter and still keep the 10 hour battery life.
while a discrete GPU is currently physically thicker than integrated graphics, that is only due to the current way they are designed and built.

what we think is impossible today, is entirely possible tomorrow.
Attached Images

Medic311 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 08:00 PM   #30
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

Yes. We are talking about today, or actually a year ago as the engineering for the Mini was being worked out.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad