Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Old Jan 5, 2013, 06:30 AM   #1
dhokes
macrumors regular

Connect to Windows networked printer

I've got an Epson Stylus D78 currently shared on the home network via a Windows computer and I'd like to be able to print from it via my iMac.

When I try to add the printer via the Windows option, the printer prints a bunch of random characters as shown here ... http://i45.tinypic.com/9jq902.jpg

When I try to add the printer via the IP option, I get the "unable to verify the printer on your network" message.

Can someone please provide some assistance.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 02:41 PM   #2
dhokes
macrumors regular

Anyone?
Old Jan 7, 2013, 04:10 PM   #3
takeshi74
macrumors 601

What exactly have you tried so far? What's the "Windows option"? Tried this?
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3049

The characters look like a printer language mismatch but I don't see the option on the Epson site to choose PCL versus PS drivers.

Sorry I'm not much help with this. All our printers have print servers which makes them a bit easier to deal with IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhokes View Post
Anyone?
http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:Forum_Rules
Quote:
Bumps. Posts that bring a thread to the top of the New Posts list but add no content to the thread (bumps) are not permitted. This applies not only to posts that say "bump" but to those with the intent to bump, e.g. posts saying "anyone?" or the equivalent. See why and how to avoid bumping.
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 05:00 PM   #4
dhokes
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi74 View Post
What exactly have you tried so far? What's the "Windows option"? Tried this?
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3049

The characters look like a printer language mismatch but I don't see the option on the Epson site to choose PCL versus PS drivers.

Sorry I'm not much help with this. All our printers have print servers which makes them a bit easier to deal with IMO.

http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:Forum_Rules
Thanks for your reply.

By the 'Windows option' I mean:
System Preferences -> Print & Fax -> + button to add a printer -> Windows

Which works and the printer prints. The output is simply unreadable.

I've just the instructions in your link. The printer manages to feed paper and then it simply feeds out blank pages extremely quickly.

Re. PCL and PS drivers, which one do I need? And am I correct in saying that I only need to install it on my iMac and not on the Windows system that the printer is connected to?
Old Jan 7, 2013, 07:35 PM   #5
MisterMe
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhokes View Post

Re. PCL and PS drivers, which one do I need? And am I correct in saying that I only need to install it on my iMac and not on the Windows system that the printer is connected to?
Don't overthink it. Whether you share a Mac-connected printer or a Windows-connected printer, other computers treat the shared printer as a PostScript printer.
MisterMe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:19 PM   #6
dhokes
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMe View Post
Don't overthink it. Whether you share a Mac-connected printer or a Windows-connected printer, other computers treat the shared printer as a PostScript printer.
I'll be honest, I've just switched over to the Mac-world and I have no idea what the likes of PostScript, PCL, LPD and IPP mean.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals