Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

NewImage2.png
Yelp is adding a new local delivery ordering option to its iOS app, allowing users to order and pay for food right within the app. The company is partnering with local delivery services, beginning in San Francisco.

Reports VentureBeat:
The service will start out in San Francisco through partnerships with food delivery startup Eat24 and Delivery.com, including 100 local businesses. Stoppelman described this as a "staging" before the platform enters new verticals and markets. The goal was to make it as scaleable as possible, and there are already a slew of other partners signed up. Ultimately people will be able to book home and personal services as well.
The updated description for the Yelp app says the delivery options will "be rolling this out to more locations in the coming weeks".

Yelp is a free download for the iPhone and iPad from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Yelp Adding In-App Local Delivery Ordering Option

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
I wonder if they need to give Apple a cut of the order...
If so, does that mean the extra cost is passed on to the customer?
If not, how did they get Apple to allow it?

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2002
Charleston, SC
When will they allow us to post reviews from the app? I still don't understand why I can write a review but I have to go to my computer to actually post it...

flounder021

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2008
When will they allow us to post reviews from the app? I still don't understand why I can write a review but I have to go to my computer to actually post it...

Probably to give you time to process your FULL experience instead of an in the moment experience..

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada

Yep, with every update I think this addition is coming but no. Strange that mobile users of this otherwise great app have to leave the app and sign into their desktop site separately to publish a review. :rolleyes:

NOS2U

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2012
That would be great! I use it to find the phone numbers of restaurants in the local area and call to place an order. Now it can save me a call.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
I wonder if they need to give Apple a cut of the order...
If so, does that mean the extra cost is passed on to the customer?
If not, how did they get Apple to allow it?

I'd like to know as well. When I buy stuff for Starbucks on the app, is Apple taking a 30% cut? Or is the 30% cut only related to services used within the app, like with Dropbox providing storage and usability only within the app, Office providing usability only within the app, whereas buying clothes, toys, and food is not used within the app.

Keane16

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2007

Yep, with every update I think this addition is coming but no. Strange that mobile users of this otherwise great app have to leave the app and sign into their desktop site separately to publish a review. :rolleyes:

Quality reasons:

But why not full reviews? Well imagine what it would be like if reviews were done in SMS shorthand: "OK so, IANAE, but AFAIC this place has THE best Cfood. It was gr8! ADBB"

http://officialblog.yelp.com/2009/12/ask-yelp-why-cant-i-write-reviews-from-my-mobile.html

I also read another company didn't allow reviews from mobiles as when they did a test all users left were a bunch of emojis. Can't find that link though or remember which company. :(

trainwrecka

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2007
Earth
Still no word on when an app based around user reviews will let its users... review.

And the reasons given in this 2009 article are insane now that the iPhone has been around for over 6 years! Most computing is done from an iPhone or iPad (or similar device) when it comes to social stuff. No one in my Facebook, iMessage, SMS or Twitter feed talks like that.

I used the Yelp site, downloaded the app, found out reviews required the desktop and never touched it again.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.