Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Aug 14, 2013, 01:36 PM   #26
Night Spring
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxosx View Post
Only until that nasty message appears: you must have iOS (whatever the then current version is) to use this app. Now you're screwed. I've been there and its not long before the frustration of being locked out gets horribly maddening. Apples the master of taking huge piles of money.
While Apple may indeed be a master at parting us from our money, I don't see how making us upgrade iOS is an example of that, seeing how iOS upgrades are free.

Back to the topic, I have an iPad 3, but am looking forward to the 5, just because it is supposed to be significantly lighter. I love my 3, but it can get heavy if I carry it with me all day.
Night Spring is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 02:42 PM   #27
Ladybug
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I'd much rather use either my 11" MBA or 13" MBA, for any work I do.

Yet I also own an iPad mini and iPad 4. In addition I keep a Nexus 7, 7.2 and 10, all for fun and variety. I've tried several of the highest rated iPad keyboards yet don't like any.

If seems one has to be very determined to make an iPad into a laptop replacement.
Especially given the wonderful keyboard, larger display, and overall excellence of either size of MBA.

----------

Only until that nasty message appears: you must have iOS (whatever the then current version is) to use this app. Now you're screwed. I've been there and its not long before the frustration of being locked out gets horribly maddening. Apples the master of taking huge piles of money.
It really depends on what you use your iPad for on whether or not you get that nasty message. If an app I buy stops working with my iPad then they have just lost a customer. That's bad business and I won't support them.
Ladybug is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 02:59 PM   #28
neutrino23
macrumors 65816

iPad 3 is not a bad machine. If it works for you then keep it. I use my iPad a lot and I carry it a lot on business. I'm looking for the iP5 to to lighter, to charge more quickly, to be faster (PDF updates sometimes lag) and to have a better digitizer which will help note taking. Plus there will be the usual small niceties that you don't expect. Maybe a better camera, stereo speakers, better wifi, BT.
neutrino23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 08:00 PM   #29
maxosx
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Spring View Post
While Apple may indeed be a master at parting us from our money, I don't see how making us upgrade iOS is an example of that, seeing how iOS upgrades are free.
Free?

Free?

Really, do you really believe that
Old Aug 14, 2013, 08:36 PM   #30
Night Spring
macrumors G3

Quote:
Free?

Free?

Really, do you really believe that
Um, yeah. I don't pay to upgrade iOS, so it's free.

How do you reckon it's not free?
Old Aug 14, 2013, 11:08 PM   #31
maxosx
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Spring View Post
Um, yeah. I don't pay to upgrade iOS, so it's free.

How do you reckon it's not free?
One has a choice. Step back & look at the big picture, or be shortsighted. The "free" upgrade leads to further purchases not only for apps but many other related expenses.

I do give Apple a lot of credit for creating the "app based smartphone" look at all the money it's made them. I for one, prior to creation of the iPhone, would never have guessed Apple would eventually be making their cut selling "Fart Apps". I thought they were classier than that.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 11:20 PM   #32
Zerilos
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
One has a choice. Step back & look at the big picture, or be shortsighted. The "free" upgrade leads to further purchases not only for apps but many other related expenses.

I do give Apple a lot of credit for creating the "app based smartphone" look at all the money it's made them. I for one, prior to creation of the iPhone, would never have guessed Apple would eventually be making their cut selling "Fart Apps". I thought they were classier than that.
Name one app or product I'll have to purchase because of iOS 7.
Zerilos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 11:48 PM   #33
Badrottie
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by sim0n View Post
I'm sure the 3 would be capable for another 1-2 years yet, the ipad 2 is still for sale through apple after all!
and when iPad 5 comes out Apple will no longer sell iPad 2. Of course iOS 7 will be able to run on iPad 2 anyway.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 12:36 AM   #34
Night Spring
macrumors G3

Quote:
I understand that some app developers might charge you for the iOS 7 version of their apps. Apart from that, I can't thnk of any "related expenses" from upgrading iOS. Could you tell me what they are?
Old Aug 15, 2013, 10:00 AM   #35
mtneer
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerilos View Post
Name one app or product I'll have to purchase because of iOS 7.
I think he meant that upgrading iOS on older devices introduces a slight performance lag as the newer OS's are more demanding on the older hardware. This may overtly/ subliminally tip people to upgrade. iPhone 4, on iOS 4 and 5 was perfectly responsive, has a noticeable lag on iOS 6 - and is slow on iOS 7.
mtneer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2013, 10:58 AM   #36
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Does your current iPad still do everything you need it to? If so, then why not keep it?
ucfgrad93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2013, 11:14 AM   #37
Zerilos
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneer View Post
I think he meant that upgrading iOS on older devices introduces a slight performance lag as the newer OS's are more demanding on the older hardware. This may overtly/ subliminally tip people to upgrade. iPhone 4, on iOS 4 and 5 was perfectly responsive, has a noticeable lag on iOS 6 - and is slow on iOS 7.
Certainly not what he said. Not upgrading is an option; however I'm hearing it's running fair well on the 4 right now.
Zerilos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2013, 12:04 PM   #38
mtneer
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerilos View Post
Certainly not what he said. Not upgrading is an option; however I'm hearing it's running fair well on the 4 right now.
Did you mean iPad 4 or iPhone 4?
mtneer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2013, 01:19 PM   #39
jreuschl
macrumors 6502

I am getting one because I need a 128GB iPad, otherwise I'd stick with my 3rd.
jreuschl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2013, 01:38 PM   #40
Chad McCan
macrumors newbie

Do you want any of these features with iOS7? Because they aren't available on the 3rd gen iPad. Airdrop makes me want to upgrade.

Filters in Camera app
Panoramic photos
AirDrop
Chad McCan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 10:00 PM   #41
Dr Charter
macrumors regular

Quote:

If seems one has to be very determined to make an iPad into a laptop replacement.
Especially given the wonderful keyboard, larger display, and overall excellence of either size of MBA.
The only keyboard I really like to use with the iPad is the Apple bluetooth keyboard in my office paired with a stand. It is a great setup at work for me for productivity apps but I just take my 11" Air when working anywhere else.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 09:13 AM   #42
Davidkoh
macrumors 65816

I'll upgrade my iPad 4 with cellular to the iPad 5 with cellular, mostly for fun but also because of the new form factor. Why not upgrade?
Davidkoh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 09:18 AM   #43
Sodner
macrumors 68000

Smaller, lighter, faster. SOLD!
Old Sep 5, 2013, 10:13 AM   #44
hagr182
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokyo1138 View Post
Is it worth upgrading from the Third gen to the 5? seening as of right now the changes i think are largly cosmetic? And i do so as of right now but imo what can they change that isnt already perfect going since the retina ipad other thrn the brezel maybe.... Love to hear you guys opinions
Depends, Im still rocking my launch iPad 2 and see no reason to upgrade, however ghosting is becoming more and more noticeable, still a great tablet for what I use it, some games and mainly reading.

I wish I had gotten a bigger one though, 16 gb is not enough. Im gonna keep my 2 and purchase a mini 2.
hagr182 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 10:25 AM   #45
CausticPuppy
macrumors 65816

I have an iPad3 and I'll [most likely] be replacing it with an iPad Mini 2, assuming it has a retina display.

I have a 13" rMBP as my portable work machine so my iPad is mainly used at home for web/reading/games and I think the Mini is the best form factor for that.

Depending on what hardware is available in both new models though I could still sway toward the iPad5. I can't imagine the iPad5 being that much lighter than the current model, since most of the weight is the battery. Even in a smaller case, it will still take just as much battery to drive the 9.7" display, unless they're using a more efficient display in the next gen.
iPad Air/iPhone5S
CausticPuppy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2013, 09:14 PM   #46
28Gauge
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzuten View Post
Unless you think the performance of the 3 is slow there is no reason to upgrade. I have the 3 and everything is still snappy and there are no current apps it cannot handle well. Personally I only upgrade if I feel my current device cant keep up with the newest apps or essential os features.
I couldn't explain it better.
Airport Extreme (5th Gen), Apple TV (3rd Gen)
28Gauge is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2013, 12:39 AM   #47
neutrino23
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino23 View Post
iPad 3 is not a bad machine. If it works for you then keep it. I use my iPad a lot and I carry it a lot on business. I'm looking for the iP5 to to lighter, to charge more quickly, to be faster (PDF updates sometimes lag) and to have a better digitizer which will help note taking. Plus there will be the usual small niceties that you don't expect. Maybe a better camera, stereo speakers, better wifi, BT.
Exactly. You hit every point I was going to make. I have a 3 and will get the 5 as soon as I can.
neutrino23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2013, 03:22 AM   #48
michaeltsikov
macrumors newbie

If the new ipad will be more beneficial to you then buy. but if the its uses is just like in ipad 3 then better to wait for another ipad

Visit my site - Contemporary Design Ideas
michaeltsikov is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad