Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2008
Sold my iPad 3 today after getting the mini on Friday. No regrets!

IbisDoc

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2010
Going to sell my 65" 1080P television, and purchase a 50" 720P instead, because it's lighter. Then I'm going to post everywhere I can about how much better it is, and that the lesser screen is not really a big deal. Then if anyone disagrees, I'm going to tell them that they're just envious and can't afford the 50".

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Interesting....

I just had my first extended experience with the mini a few hours ago. Now, I admit up front I have yet to own an iPad or any tablet

I would have walked out of the store with one today if they had them. It's perfect for everyone other than pixel peepers. IMO, the 30% of screen space is "very noticeable".

But, to the real point. When I went over to use the 4th Gen iPad, I swear, I said to myself, why would I want this over the mini? It felt like a brick after the mini. Now, I realize after one owns the an iPad one becomes used to it's mass.

But I'll tell ya. Someone going into an Apple store, IMO, is going to take home the mini 6 out of every 10 times.

Just saying.

That70sGAdawg

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2008
Athens, GA USA
It really depends on what other devices that you use, or carry daily. The Mini is a better "go between" a light weight computer and a phone of average size..

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
I love my mini iPad. I am also one of those who sold their iPad 3 after having the iPad mini for a day. Portability won the day here. I suspect thats why people would choose a nexus or galaxy tab over an iPad before this mini came out. The iPad is positioned to be a laptop replacement for most and the mini is supposed to be the tablet. Very few people (5-10%) actually need the power of a full fledged laptop.

It is probably just me but I cannot call any iPad a replacement for a full featured computer until I can do everything I want on a tablet. By then it will be as heavy and feature rich as a full featured laptop is today. :D

While I can do a lot, there is also a lot of things I can't do on the tablet securely or easily. My financial program requires Java. Don't care for solutions that offer online access because I don't trust them. Hence an iPad will not replace my desktop for this reason.

Can't use full fledged Photoshop or Aperture on an iPad so there are issues there as well. Yes, I use SnapSeed and I have in a pinch transferred images from my camera to an iPad. But I cannot color calibrate an iPad and my desktop is calibrated. Another reason why an iPad cannot replace my desktop.

There are a lot of things I do with the iPad and I've even created content with it. It is important to recognize limitations so we are not blinded from the truth. The truth is the iPad will not replace traditional computers for everyone. Heck, there are people still using film today in a digital world. :D

I have an Ipad 3 and I cannot hold it comfortable using my left hand holing on the left edge to read long article or play game for more than 15 minutes. Weight is a major issue for Ipad 3/4 and it is not a new thing. I use Ipad 3 mostly on my desk now or let it sit on my lap if I am sitting in a sofa. How do you use your Ipad 3/4 that you can hold it for a long time with one hand? I would love to learn the trick.

Holding in 1 hand would be taxing. I use 2 hands for mine, or use a stand if there is a flat surface about.

Then again, holding anything of any weight is going to tax holding ability. I remember having to hold a boot at arms length until the Drill Sargent told us we could drop our arms. Now that is heavy.

There are going to be situations and medical issues that may make using any device of any weight painful. Thankfully there are choices for people to select the device that fits their needs.

Take care,

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
Going to sell my 65" 1080P television, and purchase a 50" 720P instead, because it's lighter. Then I'm going to post everywhere I can about how much better it is, and that the lesser screen is not really a big deal. Then if anyone disagrees, I'm going to tell them that they're just envious and can't afford the 50".

I love this and completely agree. Love the size of the mini but the screen sucks ha. Last I checked a tablet is the screen. To each their own.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
People use to call an iPad a giant iPhone...I literally feel like that is what a mini is.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida

Really? You carry your TV with you that you need a lighter one? :confused:

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
It is probably just me but I cannot call any iPad a replacement for a full featured computer until I can do everything I want on a tablet. By then it will be as heavy and feature rich as a full featured laptop is today. :D

While I can do a lot, there is also a lot of things I can't do on the tablet securely or easily. My financial program requires Java. Don't care for solutions that offer online access because I don't trust them. Hence an iPad will not replace my desktop for this reason.

Can't use full fledged Photoshop or Aperture on an iPad so there are issues there as well. Yes, I use SnapSeed and I have in a pinch transferred images from my camera to an iPad. But I cannot color calibrate an iPad and my desktop is calibrated. Another reason why an iPad cannot replace my desktop.

There are a lot of things I do with the iPad and I've even created content with it. It is important to recognize limitations so we are not blinded from the truth. The truth is the iPad will not replace traditional computers for everyone. Heck, there are people still using film today in a digital world. :D

Holding in 1 hand would be taxing. I use 2 hands for mine, or use a stand if there is a flat surface about.

Then again, holding anything of any weight is going to tax holding ability. I remember having to hold a boot at arms length until the Drill Sargent told us we could drop our arms. Now that is heavy.

There are going to be situations and medical issues that may make using any device of any weight painful. Thankfully there are choices for people to select the device that fits their needs.

Take care,
Yeah i agree that an iPad isnt a replacement for a full fledged computer per se. However, I do think most people dont need the power of a full on computer honestly. I think 90% of users only really need an iPad honestly. It does all of the things people are used to doing on a regular basis.

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
What a load of pish about the mini being more portable. Is it lighter? Of course
Does it fit in your pocket? **** no. Oh and don't give me the cargo pants argument as that crap also applies to the retina iPad which I can fit into the leg pocket but its hardly practical.

Is it worth getting if you already have a retina iPad? Nope, as nice as it looks and feels it pales in comparison to the retina display iPads especially for reading. Once you go retina you can't go back to low res.

If you are on a budget go for it otherwise grab a proper iPad.

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
Received my mini yesterday. Missed the delivery Friday, pretty surprise when FedEx came knocking yesterday. I guess they worked yesterday to clear the backlog because of sandy.

I'm loving this thing! Typing on it right now. I already have an iPad 3. The mini is an addition (to replace a certain other 7" tab ;) I'm finding the mini much easier to touch thumb type (not looking at the keyboard) using the split keyboard in landscape mode than the iPad 3.

Many suggested that one is too weak if one can't support the 1.5lbs weight of the iPad 3? Do you seriously think it's entirely a weight issue? It's about the comfort of holding a lighter and smaller tablet. I'm your average sized guy, I do sets of biceps curls using 50lbs dumbbells, so I can handle the 1.5lbs iPad 3 just fine. But the mini is more *comfortable* to hold and I prefer it.

bigboar

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Ohio
Received my mini yesterday. Missed the delivery Friday, pretty surprise when FedEx came knocking yesterday. I guess they worked yesterday to clear the backlog because of sandy.

I'm loving this thing! Typing on it right now. I already have an iPad 3. The mini is an addition (to replace a certain other 7" tab ;) I'm finding the mini much easier to touch thumb type (not looking at the keyboard) using the split keyboard in landscape mode than the iPad 3.

Many suggested that one is too weak if one can't support the 1.5lbs weight of the iPad 3? Do you seriously think it's entirely a weight issue? It's about the comfort of holding a lighter and smaller tablet. I'm your average sized guy, I do sets of biceps curls using 50lbs dumbbells, so I can handle the 1.5lbs iPad 3 just fine. But the mini is more *comfortable* to hold and I prefer it.

I haven't used the 3 since the mini arrived for the same reasons.. You don't have to explain yourself to some of the dumb posts made here..the good thing is having both we don't have to be impartial one way or the other:D

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I haven't used the 3 since the mini arrived for the same reasons.. You don't have to explain yourself to some of the dumb posts made here..the good thing is having both we don't have to be impartial one way or the other:D

It's obviously a tricky situation b.c it boils down to screen vs portability. I think the mini is great if you are going out, but sitting in bed or on a couch I would rather have screen quality.

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012

It's obviously a tricky situation b.c it boils down to screen vs portability. I think the mini is great if you are going out, but sitting in bed or on a couch I would rather have screen quality.

Back to the 1.5lbs dumbbell :D I'm bs'ing if I say the iPad 3 screen is not any better, but the mini is not bad, certainly better than iPad 1 or 2. Speed is not an issue either, everything is still silky smooth. Doesn't matter I have both and will be happy to use either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.