Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CrossoverDoc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
Hey, guys. My iMac is set to arrive in a few days, and I was wondering, which browser do you prefer to use on yours? I've always used Chrome on my iPhone, iPad, & Dell Laptop, but I didn't know if Safari or any other browser is more efficient on an iMac.

Thanks guys, and happy holidays!:)

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Hey, guys. My iMac is set to arrive in a few days, and I was wondering, which browser do you prefer to use on yours? I've always used Chrome on my iPhone, iPad, & Dell Laptop, but I didn't know if Safari or any other browser is more efficient on an iMac.

Thanks guys, and happy holidays!:)
There's no difference in Safari performance between Mac models, other than minor variances between CPU/RAM configurations.

For recommendations on browsers, you may find some useful information in some of the many existing threads, such as these:

Has safari 6 won you over from your current browser of choice?
Safari 6.0 vs Chrome Version X
Why use Safari over Chrome or Firefox?
Poll: Browsers for Lion
thoughts on browsers?
Which Web Browser do you use?
Poll: What Browser Do You Use, and Why?
Poll: Which web browser do you use?
Pro's/Con's Safari Vs Chrome Vs Firefox
Poll: Which Web Browser do you use?
Poll: What browser are you using?
Chrome vs. Firefox vs. Safari
What's the fastest browser for Mac?
What is the best browser for Mac?
chrome or safari?
Safari inferior to chrome?

CapnJackGig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2011
Until Safari stops devouring every last bit of memory it can find, it will never be the answer. Chrome is simply the best at the moment.

boto

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2012
Chrome, hands down. There is no other browser that integrates Flash, Java, and a large collection of quality add-ons than Chrome. It's the best browser in unifying all of your contacts, extensions, settings, and other information just by signing into your account. To me, that is magical. In addition, Chrome updates more frequently than its competitors to fix bugs promptly.

Last edited:

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK
I'm going to be getting an iMac in the coming months. I will use a combination of Safari, as I will find the iCloud tabs feature very useful for keeping up to date on websites that I'm viewing on my iPhone, iPad, iMac and vice versa.

I'll also be using Chrome (which is my favorite browser at present on my PC) and Firefox. I'll flick between them depending on what I'm doing and how I feel.

I don't have one browser of choice, but a shortlist of favorite browsers that I like to flick between.

Blkant

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2012
I'm going to be getting an iMac in the coming months. I will use a combination of Safari, as I will find the iCloud tabs feature very useful for keeping up to date on websites that I'm viewing on my iPhone, iPad, iMac and vice versa.

I'll also be using Chrome (which is my favorite browser at present on my PC) and Firefox. I'll flick between them depending on what I'm doing and how I feel.

I don't have one browser of choice, but a shortlist of favorite browsers that I like to flick between.

Safari 5.7, just have to downgrade it. It's quick, its clean, it doesn't try and force any special features on you, still has plug-in support even after downgrading, and doesn't feed into the google machine in giving them every last bit of information in where you go, what you do, etc... for them to sell. :)

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
Safari for some things, Chrome for others. I was using chromium as my most used browser but sign in to sync has been broken for the last 4 updates.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
Chrome, hands down. There is no other browser that integrates Flash, Java, and a large collection of quality add-ons than Chrome. It's the best browser in unifying all of your contacts, extensions, settings, and other information just by signing into your account. To me, that is magical. In addition, Chrome updates more frequently than its competitors to fix bugs promptly.

Im digging Chrome so far, care to recommend some extensions?

Scrapula

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
I use Chrome for speed, except for sites where it doesn't work. For instance, it has issues with Blackboard for my university classes. I use Firefox for that, and it is on the list of certified browsers. Other students have reported Blackboard issues with Chrome on both Mac & PC. I might just go back to Firefox full time.

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
Firefox (i find i can get to bookmark changes the fastest with firefox's sidepanel and using extension "Autoclose Bookmark&History Folders" (closes previous folder when opening another one with links...very helpful)

http://www.sephiroth-j.de/1/mozilla/

other extensions i like in ff...

adblock (no more utube ad's before videos)
http://adblockplus.org/en/

theme font and size changer (i find default ff bookmark text to small...this allows you to make bigger...)
http://barisderin.com/?p=286

boto

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2012
Im digging Chrome so far, care to recommend some extensions?

I would recommend Adblock, Adblock+ Element Hiding Helper, Chrome to Mobile (If you use Chrome on your iOS device), Webmail Ad Blocker, and Magic Actions for Youtube (customize youtube features/settings).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.