Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VideoBeagle

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2010
App Q&A testing by request.
The power brick on my out of warranty Macbook Pro wasn't working. I went in to get it diagnosed and buy a replacement if needed. It had indeed died, and I was going to buy a new one, but the tech's hand unit for credit card wasn't working, so she took the broken one, but it in the new ones' box, gave me the new one, and sent me on my way, gratis.

It wasn't a new macbook, but I felt good about the experience.:)

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
I suggest you look up exactly what consumer laws you're referring to if you're going to sarcastically talk down to others regarding it.

A company is well within its rights to offer preferential service to people paying for an extended warranty. It doesn't JUST extend the time limit. Like how if you have AppleCare they'll pay for shipment, but you have to pay if you don't. And like how Dells turn around time for repairs is 2 weeks, but you can have an engineer our NBD if you pay for it, or are a loyal customer.

There is no such law, in any country I am aware of, which prevents companies from treating people with extended warranties better. Feel free to point one out though, because as you seem to be aware, you can't just trust anything you read on the Internet - can you

The vast majority of consumer laws actually offer very little protection in reality (good luck proving that your iMac which has become faulty after 18 months was actually faulty at the point of sale, and hasn't developed a fault, etc,).

You know what dude, I gave you a pass the first time you came at me because you said it was accidental but now I'm starting to think otherwise. :rolleyes:
I wasn't being sarcastic with anyone. Also make sure you read properly before you respond with your nonsense. I never said a company can't OFFER preferential treatment with extended warranties. I'm sure that happens often and honestly there's really nothing wrong with that.

I said they can't come right out and verbally tell a customer that they will do that if they buy the extended warranty, especially if the warranty in writing doesn't offer anything beyond what's in the TOC of the original warranty. That's bait and switch. If you don't think Bait and Switch is against the law then I'm sorry for you.
For your information, that was an employee that whispered that to the OP in regards to getting preferential treatment. Guess what? If that employee quits and then the OP comes back later needing service he can't say the employee told him he would get preferential treatment since there's nobody there to back him up and furthermore the store can seriously go by the book on repairs and don't offer a replacement ever and the OP can't do anything about it. Also for your information I'm only referring to products that still have a manufacturer's warranty.

No problem though, if you guys here want to be that naive and believe everything a store tells you without reading it first then by all means, play the fool. Don't bother responding. I defended the OP in regards to his replacement while others were flaming him. Then the OP accuses me of calling him a liar and now you can't seem to read posts properly before responding. I'm outta here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.