Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Dec 19, 2014, 06:48 AM   #26
flynz4
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgendreau View Post
Depends on what the paper is. If amenable to a sheet feed scanner, use that, OCR software, and something like Evernote, Yep, DevonThink Pro, Leap, etc to organize it. I prefer making PDFs and using Yep to organize them.

If not sheet feedable, either a flatbed or a smartphone and a scanner app. They work remarkably well. I think some have OCR, or use Evernote's premium edition and get the OCR from them.
Personally, I think flatbed scanners are obsolete.
  • Nothing beats (or comes close) to a sheetfed scanner for the vast majority of paper. Just buy a Fujitsu ScanSnap and do not look back.
  • For anything that does not fit through a sheetfed scanner, then I would recommend a smart phone scanner app. There are several. They will be used infrequently for most people... but sometimes you just need something other than a sheetfed scanner.

Document organization is a tougher question. I think DevonThink Pro Office is hard to beat. The more you use it, the smarter it gets. I think it is impressive.

Some people want iOS device integration. For me... that has near zero interest. I really do not want my entire digital life available on my phone/tablet. Too much risk of sensitive information being pirated if my device was lost or stollen. My data lives safely on my encrypted iMac at home, which is double backed up (locally and remotely). Hence, that data is both safe and secure.

/Jim
flynz4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2014, 08:00 PM   #27
robgendreau
macrumors 68020

BTW Devonthink Pro is on sale for 25% off as part of the WinterFest 2014 promo. Through that promo you can also get some other terrific software like Nisus Writer Pro and Scrivener and others. Not a bundle; just some applications people use together.

And YMMV on the sheet feeder. I have hard stock and photos that would never make it in my sheet feeder, so I still use a flatbed. Not technically receipts, but still you might need something multiuse. I sold my big sheet feeder a while ago; once you've got you're old stuff in nothing beats the smartphone IMHO since you can use it right away and it's so handy (and cheap). Unless you're stuck in a dinosaur business like law or something.
robgendreau is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2014, 09:18 PM   #28
glenthompson
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljrkrispes View Post
So this is mostly a 2 year old thread. For me, the not-too-computer savvy person, what would be the simplest 2014 approach to organizing household paper so that it is searchable? I have looked at iBook Paperless but have not had good luck with Hazel in the past.
I use the Scansnap with supplied software to scan my documents to searchable PDF. I then file them into a folder structure that mirrors the old paper filing system I abandoned. It works well for me. I rarely search by keyword as I can usually find the document I need by folder and date.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 08:25 AM   #29
cyb3rdud3
macrumors 6502

Paperless from Mariner creates searchable pdf and hooks into general apple search. Can't be easier than that.
cyb3rdud3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store