Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Whackintosh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 8, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Got my new 2012 iMac a few hours ago and have finally gotten to trying air play mirroring. For some reason, any full-screen video content stutters and freezes on my Apple TV (version 2). I'm outputting with the setting optimized for my ATV so I can't help but wonder if this is due to the slower processor in the ATV2? Have others had this experience? I'd like to know what I can do to fix this (or if I simply need to buy a 3rd gen ATV)?

Last edited:

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
]I can't help but wonder if this is due to the slower processor in the ATV2? ... (or if I simply need to buy a 3rd gen ATV)?

No and no*.

it's probably network related.

try hardwiring one of your devices, if not both.
also a reboot of your router, and other network hardware couldn't hurt.

*if you have no interest in jailbreaking, sell the 2 on ebay, and buy a 3. you'll probably come out at least $75-100 ahead.

]I'm outputting with the setting optimized for my ATV

all that does is set the resolution on your computer to match the TV, you basically decide which screen you want the black bars on.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Got my new 2012 iMac a few hours ago and have finally gotten to trying air play mirroring. For some reason, any full-screen video content stutters and freezes on my Apple TV (version 2). I'm outputting with the setting optimized for my ATV so I can't help but wonder if this is due to the slower processor in the ATV2? Have others had this experience? I'd like to know what I can do to fix this (or if I simply need to buy a 3rd gen ATV)?

Network issues. It has nothing to do with the ATV2. Airplay Mirroring is basically just converting what is on your screen into an h.264 feed which the Appletv2 plays just fine. Are both on wifi? Really seriously, anything like video really needs to be hardwired (at least one or the other).

Whackintosh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 8, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Tried hard-wiring my router to my iMac. Same results (frames being dropped, freezes happening etc). Tried resetting my router. Same results. :(

----------

I should mention, it will play smooth for up to 10 seconds at a time before freezing up for a second or two, then continuing smooth etc.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
mirroring does not look like a directly connected monitor, it will be a bit blurry, and maybe drop a frame here or there, but shouldn't pause every 10 seconds like you're seeing.

what kind of network are you using?
-802.11g
-802.11n (g compatable)
-802.11n only
* what i'm really asking is 2.4GHz or 5GHz. if you alt-click the wifi icon on your mac you can see that there.

how far apart are the router and the aTV?
what's between them?
* walls, cabinet full of metal pans, refrigerator.
how many bars of signal strength on your aTV?

2.4 will go through walls better than 5. 5 is faster with a good signal, but a couple walls can kill it pretty quick.

Ajsam

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2013
Georgia
I was having very similar issues with playing video converted for iTunes.
I tried 2.4ghz wireless with the cable companies router and a linksys, then moved to using power line adapters. I knew my issues were all network related, but could run a cat 5 wire in our apartment directly to the Apple TV 3.
I found a solution using a dual band Asus RT-N66U router. I can now play any content that I have from my 2012 Mac mini to the Apple TV 3 with no buffering or video freezing issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.