Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GhostMac24

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
NC
So we decided to pay for my mothers phone service and add her to our family plan. Decided to get her an iPhone and have a couple questions.

1. Instead of getting a "free" iPhone4, I figured I'd give her my 4S and get a new 5 for me. If so, is it as simple as just moving the SIM card from my phone to the other?

2. Can she keep her number or does she need to get new number? She currently has ATT and is not under contract. I know that you can port a number when moving service but wasn't sure if you could do it within the same company.

3. Anything else I need to know?

Thanks in advance for any advice or input!

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
The iPhone 5 uses a smaller SIM than the iPhone 4s, so you can't just swap them out. The people at the AT&T store should be able to help you do the swap, though (from what I've read).

If your mom's telephone number is the same area code as you, she should be able to keep it. I live in VA and my mom lives in PA, so there was no way for met to add her without her getting a new VA number (so we all went to Verizon, which doesn't have this restriction).

She will have to assign responsibility of her account over to you. There's a web-based process to start this.

You can always go to AT&T's website and chat with an associate. They were always very helpful with information when I was thinking about doing what you're about to do.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
If so, is it as simple as just moving the SIM card from my phone to the other?

Basically, yes, except for the fact that the iPhone 5 has a new smaller SIM card.

So, yes, that's right, except you can't do it! :p

The short answer is, go in to an AT&T store. They can do absolutely everything you've asked for. I find it easier to deal with them in person which is why I suggest going to their store instead of buying the phone online and having to call them.

GhostMac24

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
NC
Makes perfect sense. Thanks for the replies.

She is not opposed to having a new number so no need to worry about porting it.

Now I just need to make sure that I prefer to get the 5 now and give her my 4S or just wait and get her the "free" iPhone4. I really don't "need" to move to the 5 and since I've only had the 4S for a short time, I could easily wait for a future model.

Thanks again for all the input!

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
You're not really porting if you're sticking with the same carrier. They can merge her account into a family account with a transfer of responsibility as outlined above. I'd suggest calling and seeing what your options are and selecting whatever sounds like it would suit the both of you best.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
Take over responsibility of her line and upgrade. Once they activate her iPhone 5 if you do get it just have them get a micro sim and nano sim for the switch. I ported the gfs mom over from sprint and added her to my account to make it a family plan and everything went smoothly. I suggest getting the iPhone 5 tho since our mom is upgrade eligible so you don't miss out on the upgrade.

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
I think people are misreading the OP's post. The OP is getting the iPhone 5 with the nano-SIM. No problem there - AT&T will simply activate it on his number. The 4S has a micro-SIM, so assuming that his Mom's phone has a micro-SIM, that micro-SIM can easily be moved into the iPhone 4S. If not, a visit to the AT&T store will be required to get a new micro-SIM for the iPhone 4S.

Otherwise there is no need to go to an AT&T store - everything else can be done over the phone with AT&T.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
I think people are misreading the OP's post. The OP is getting the iPhone 5 with the nano-SIM. No problem there - AT&T will simply activate it on his number. The 4S has a micro-SIM, so assuming that his Mom's phone has a micro-SIM, that micro-SIM can easily be moved into the iPhone 4S. If not, a visit to the AT&T store will be required to get a new micro-SIM for the iPhone 4S.

Otherwise there is no need to go to an AT&T store - everything else can be done over the phone with AT&T.

I think you need to re-read. He will be getting the upgrade on his moms line since she is not under contract and has an upgrade. In that case once he gets the 5 under his moms line it will need to be activated on her line then he'll need a nano sim on his line to go into the 5 and a micro sim for his moms line for the 4S.

GhostMac24

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
NC
Looks like the easiest thing to do is just close her account and we will get a new phone added to our family plan to give her. She is fine with having a new number. Just need to figure out now if I really want the 5 and give her my 4S or if I am fine with the 4S and get her a "free" 4.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
Looks like the easiest thing to do is just close her account and we will get a new phone added to our family plan to give her. She is fine with having a new number. Just need to figure out now if I really want the 5 and give her my 4S or if I am fine with the 4S and get her a "free" 4.

I say might aswell get the 5 and give her your 4S.

GhostMac24

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
NC
Jordan, funny you should say that as I was just thinking about it on my way home. I am thinking since she is able to upgrade right now and I am next year, I could get the 5 now giving her my 4S and then if I were to want to upgrade next, our two phones would be one alternating years upgrading which would theoretically give me the ability to upgrade every year if I so choose.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
Jordan, funny you should say that as I was just thinking about it on my way home. I am thinking since she is able to upgrade right now and I am next year, I could get the 5 now giving her my 4S and then if I were to want to upgrade next, our two phones would be one alternating years upgrading which would theoretically give me the ability to upgrade every year if I so choose.

Sounds like a plan to me! I would love to update my iPhone every year.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area

It's worth it to just upgrade instead of getting a free 4. Now you can upgrade every year and if your mom is happy with the 4S for awhile you can sell the 5 next year for a profit.

GhostMac24

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
NC
Consider it done. Will take care of this week. I'm assuming an ATT store would have the 5 in stock?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.