Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Can anybody remember the base 2011 iMac price in $? I know it was £999 in the UK, and I'm trying to work out what conversion rate apple use. I know it's not just the standard. My BTO iMac is going to cost $2197 with apple care and extras.

mazakii

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2012
Can anybody remember the base 2011 iMac price in $? I know it was £999 in the UK, and I'm trying to work out what conversion rate apple use. I know it's not just the standard. My BTO iMac is going to cost $2197 with apple care and extras.

Just convert it to £, then + 30%
One thing I know for sure is Fusion drive is £200 ($250) extra.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
If anybody from across the pond can remember the $ base price I can do it exactly. It's not like I'm using credit or anything but would just like to be able to transfer the correct amount in advance. I wish it was Friday already.

Mic2904

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
Bit late for me :)

Can anyone roughly guess the price for the low end 21" with 16gb. And the low end with fusion?

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
They probably use a conversion rate that allows for some amount of fluctuation in exchange rates. It's also important to note that sales tax is at a state level in the US. It's tacked on at the end. You don't see prices listed that way as you do with VAT.

mazakii

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2012
They probably use a conversion rate that allows for some amount of fluctuation in exchange rates. It's also important to note that sales tax is at a state level in the US. It's tacked on at the end. You don't see prices listed that way as you do with VAT.

Some people make a trip to NYC just for apple products and still get it cheaper.

But I can't really fit the 27inch to my suitcase. What a shame.

Sometimes you just have to leave it.

----------

Get it from a third party like Crucial and it'll only cost about £30. Get it from apple and it'll cost around £150.

----------

They don't do the 3TB for the mac mini, I checked. :(

Then.. find out soon! ;)

Ademordna

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2012
UK
Get it from a third party like Crucial and it'll only cost about £30. Get it from apple and it'll cost around £150

----------

I'm after the 21.5"....

(messed quote up, sorry)

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Some people make a trip to NYC just for apple products and still get it cheaper.

But I can't really fit the 27inch to my suitcase. What a shame.

Sometimes you just have to leave it.

It could be a bit cheaper. As I mentioned, Apple likely leaves some room for currency fluctuation. Sales tax in NYC is also cheaper than VAT in the UK. I'm not sure how well the imac would work even if you could fit it. It's a lot easier to take a notebook through customs if you don't take the box along. They aren't going to give you problems for bringing along your notebook as it's extremely common.

darkanddivine

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2007
Don't take this as gospel, but this might be OK as a rough guide. The base level 21" one with 16GB RAM comes out at £1259 for me, and the next one up with 16GB and Fusion comes out at £1609, I just based this on the RAM being £160 and the Fusion being £200.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
£1609 looks about right to me as well for hi end 21". I will also be adding AppleCare, SuperDrive and MSOffice. Not much change from £2000 for me then!

barca bear

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2012
Scotland
I'm actually looking at £1750 for 21" i7 with 16gb RAM and fusion drive. My budget was £1500 but I feel it's gonna be worth the extra in long run - I need 4/5 years from this imac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.