Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gary86

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2012
My desk isn't that big and I'm looking to save space. It is bad for the mini to be on its side?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21370549517.553552.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21370549560.006661.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
The only thing I can think of is the hard drive but then again, I worked on a desktop PC for decades where the tower was flipped on the side and it was fine. These weren't top of the line desktops either (Compaq/HP/Dell). I want to say you will be fine.

Also, give some consideration to H Mount, which is a reputable company that offers a mount for the Mac Mini (and has for years). They have provided a mount suitable for the Mac Mini to be mounted on the wall, under a desk, etc etc. I am not pimping the product as much as I'm saying that if it weren't safe, I doubt they'd still be pushing a product that does that. Perhaps.

Gary86

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2012
The only thing I can think of is the hard drive but then again, I worked on a desktop PC for decades where the tower was flipped on the side and it was fine. These weren't top of the line desktops either (Compaq/HP/Dell). I want to say you will be fine.

Also, give some consideration to H Mount, which is a reputable company that offers a mount for the Mac Mini (and has for years). They have provided a mount suitable for the Mac Mini to be mounted on the wall, under a desk, etc etc. I am not pimping the product as much as I'm saying that if it weren't safe, I doubt they'd still be pushing a product that does that. Perhaps.

Thank you very much. I will check them out now!

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013
My desk isn't that big and I'm looking to save space. It is bad for the mini to be on its side?

View attachment 415579
View attachment 415580

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

It's fine to run the mini on its side. I run two of my minis in the Newer Tech side stand. They also run cooler (a few degrees C) on their side.

There is no issue with running HDDs on their side. Many enclosures (seagate, owc, newer tech, LaCie) run HDDs on their side.

Gary86

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2012
It's fine to run the mini on its side. I run two of my minis in the Newer Tech side stand. They also run cooler (a few degrees C) on their side.

There is no issue with running HDDs on their side. Many enclosures (seagate, owc, newer tech, LaCie) run HDDs on their side.

Fantastic! Thanks for the info and advice, folks.

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
If I'm correct, MacMiniColo, the Mini based hosting firm, has racks full of mini's on their side running 24/7

Guess I am:
macminicolo-2.JPG

famous600

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
If I'm correct, MacMiniColo, the Mini based hosting firm, has racks full of mini's on their side running 24/7

Guess I am:

You would think they would build racks for those, one tumbles and way they go like dominos!

utekineir

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2008
mine is held vertical with a bookend

usually things say to orient the power supply at the top, otherwise that heat will be rising through the unit

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013
On off switch at top so heat from power transformer goes out the top and not through the mini.

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013
Thanks, I should have looked at the MacMiniColo photo before posting...

Despite what I said above about the theroetical best way to put it, I do not think it matters too much as you have a hot power transformer on one side and the CPU/GPU on the other, so either way you have heat rising through the mini.

I have two minis on their side, with my 2.6 quad with the power button at the top and a 2.0 quad with the power button on the bottom. I have had each individual mini on their alternate sides and haven't really noticed a difference in either with temps. Although there is a difference between them laying flat in the conventional way and being on their side (by a few degree celcius).

Jugney

macrumors member
May 6, 2008
Mini on its side = huge impact on WiFi for distant router

I just moved to a new house that's pretty big, where the router is on the opposite side of the building. WiFi reception has been pitiful and I've been on the verge of getting the new Airport Extreme with more antennas to get better reception.

Until it hit me - put the Mini on its side. It's made of metal, so the signal only comes in through the parts that are plastic - the Apple logo on top and the circular bottom base. Now the Apple logo directly faces the router.

It made all the difference. Transmit Rates went from 7 at worst to 80 - 145. Now I can watch Netflix again - and the unit looks even more futuristic!

esskay

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2008
I just moved to a new house that's pretty big, where the router is on the opposite side of the building. WiFi reception has been pitiful and I've been on the verge of getting the new Airport Extreme with more antennas to get better reception.

Until it hit me - put the Mini on its side. It's made of metal, so the signal only comes in through the parts that are plastic - the Apple logo on top and the circular bottom base. Now the Apple logo directly faces the router.

It made all the difference. Transmit Rates went from 7 at worst to 80 - 145. Now I can watch Netflix again - and the unit looks even more futuristic!

Interesting, we also have the Mini some distance from the router, I'll have to try putting it on its side and check signal. Thanks for the idea.

Chippy99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Whilst I don't doubt what Blanka says (and this is only a bit of fun):

sdejch.jpg

How do we know they aren't set up like this? ;-)

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
The only problem with running it sideways is it's less stable and could be knocked over. Easy enough to solve, though.

tuxon86

macrumors 65816
May 22, 2012
Whilst I don't doubt what Blanka says (and this is only a bit of fun):

How do we know they aren't set up like this? ;-)

In that orientation the rack doesn't touch the floor and the feeet/legs of the rack are attached to the wall...

Chippy99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
In that orientation the rack doesn't touch the floor and the feeet/legs of the rack are attached to the wall...

I can't see that.

On closer inspection, I can see that nothing is holding the Minis on their shelves though.

tuxon86

macrumors 65816
May 22, 2012
I can't see that.

On closer inspection, I can see that nothing is holding the Minis on their shelves though.

You can see the silver tube and silver circle pad that looks like feet for the rack. Beside, I don't see anything holding them in horizontal position inside the rack either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.