Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you like a MacRumors iPhone App?

• Yes, that would be great!

Votes: 130 82.8%
  • No, what's the point/I like mobile Safari better

Votes: 27 17.2%

• Total voters

SamGabbay

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
Yeah... Reviving this seems like an important thing to do. I would even do it, for free. Just needs to get done.

trombo22

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2013
Not specifically a Macrumors app but MacHash iOS app has push notifications and includes multiple apple news feeds, if you wish you can configure it for only Macrumors.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
There's also Tapatalk when it comes to forums (where MacRumors forums can be used).

countryside

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2016
Hello,
I know there is the Newsletter, RSS, Apple News, and such, but I think it would be very neat if there was an app just for MacRumors. This is pretty much the only site I use for my Apple news. It would be amazing if you guys were to make an apple that also supported Apple Watch.

Just wanted to put that idea out there. I am sorry if this has been already posted, I did a quick search for "MacRumors App" and it had over 341 threads listed.

Cheers,
Saphiria

kevinkyoo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
Not sure if this is the right sub-forum, but I thought I'd throw my idea in for this one. Definitely not the first one to have one, but it'd be nice to see what you guys think. I'd love to have a MacRumors app. Getting notifications for the latest news (Filters for certain topics, ex. MacBook's, iPad's, iPhone's, executive positioning, relations to companies, etc.), while also having easy access to the forums (Similar to Reddit apps, where you can choose which sub-forum you would like to follow and connect with; ex. I really only view the MacBook Pro sub-forum, so I can subscribe to that and directly access the aforementioned sub-forum).

Are there any thoughts on this? Would love to hear some feedback.

countryside

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2016
Hi,

I would like to know if any official statement could be made on this? I would appreciate a simple yes, no, or maybe even being told that it is currently being worked on.

Thanks,
countryside

Last edited:
Hi,

I would like to know if any official statement could be made on this? I would appreciate a simple yes, no, or maybe even being told that it is currently being worked on.

Thanks,
Noah
While I have no direct knowledge of current plans, I can tell you that this was being actively worked like 4 years ago. It obviously must have been scrapped, and my personal opinion is that it will never happen. The MacRumors team would rather continue to optimize the mobile site rather than build an app. That does make sense. There are a few benefits of a dedicated app, but perhaps not to outweigh the effort.

countryside

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2016
While I have no direct knowledge of current plans, I can tell you that this was being actively worked like 4 years ago. It obviously must have been scrapped, and my personal opinion is that it will never happen. The MacRumors team would rather continue to optimize the mobile site rather than build an app. That does make sense. There are a few benefits of a dedicated app, but perhaps not to outweigh the effort.
I just want notifications. It is all I want. :p

I have tried Tapatalk, I even use it on my own forum. Though, I find it quite annoying. Things do not work on it. I know there are many XenForo add-ons you can purchase to put your forum in App Store.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
We have indeed been working on an app. It's not a full replacement for the site, but should have some helpful functionality including some notifications. I don't know the latest status on things, but it's definitely not dead. Just not our highest priority, so progress has been slow.

Reactions: countryside

countryside

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2016
We have indeed been working on an app. It's not a full replacement for the site, but should have some helpful functionality including some notifications. I don't know the latest status on things, but it's definitely not dead. Just not our highest priority, so progress has been slow.
Thank you so much for letting us know! I am excited for the release. Just an idea, a form to quickly submit tips.

We are fleshing out a MacRumors app now. It is still prob many months off, esp since one of our developers had an accident and is out of commission for a while. But I wanted to let you know that a MacRumors App is in consideration, and the goal is to make it a great experience... but that will take time.

arn
Out of curiosity I searched for the first official acknowledgment that a MR app was actively being worked. May of 2012. So yeah, I wouldn't hold your breath. :p

sniffies

macrumors 603
Jul 31, 2005
somewhere warm, dark, and cozy
Omg!! We need a Macrumors app!! I'm surprised Macrumors themselves haven't had one made.
Don't care about MR app; current web app is just fine, Tapatalk works great too. But what we really really do need is to have Arnold update AppShopper app for iOS. It's been ages. With the new App Store federal law going into effect on September 7th, AppShopper is bound to be purged.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Don't care about MR app; current web app is just fine, Tapatalk works great too. But what we really really do need is to have Arnold update AppShopper app for iOS. It's been ages. With the new App Store federal law going into effect on September 7th, AppShopper is bound to be purged.
Apple won't allow the AppShopper app to be updated.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Seems slightly unintuitive from Apple being as it would help drive sales, but them be the rules.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.