Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Apr 19, 2015, 01:31 PM   #251
r.j.s
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scepticalscribe View Post
Wow. That Macallan 21 looks absolutely fantastic. Superb. Is it as good as it looks? That is a bottle I would be more than happy to make the acquaintance of.

Sorry to learn of your health issues, but I really hope that you are able to really fully enjoy those few sneaked and snatched sips of that luscious Macallan.

It's amazing, and worth every penny. It's a Speyside, so it's easier on the peat taste than Islays, and is quite smooth. When I first opened it, a friend and I finished about 1/2 the bottle before we realized it.
r.j.s is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2015, 02:04 PM   #252
Scepticalscribe
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.j.s View Post
It's amazing, and worth every penny. It's a Speyside, so it's easier on the peat taste than Islays, and is quite smooth. When I first opened it, a friend and I finished about 1/2 the bottle before we realized it.
Ah, wonderful.

I can only read your post with a combination of suppressed envy and vicarious pleasure. And I can only agree with you: A bottle like that is worth every penny.

In any case, I'm not surprised that the best part of half a bottle was consumed before you realised it; such, smooth, rich, and exquisite stuff is firstly, best drunk in good and congenial company, and secondly, disappears surprisingly easily. Well, that has been my experience. It only remains to say, that I will express the fervent hope that you thoroughly enjoy the remainder of the bottle.
Scepticalscribe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2015, 02:06 PM   #253
Huntn
macrumors G3

Quote:
Each to their own….enjoy.
I was saying Southern Comfort was too sweet so I was not disagreeing with you.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2015, 03:05 PM   #254
Scepticalscribe
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntn View Post
I was saying Southern Comfort was too sweet so I was not disagreeing with you.
While I sometimes like the idea of the adjective 'sweet' in an alcoholic drink, it has to come in a form of sweetness that is a smooth and velvet sweetness, a sweetness that is properly balanced with a depth of textured and layered flavour, and perhaps, leavened by a touch of acidity, too.

This means that such a version of 'sweetness' ('dulce') patently excludes an interpretation which includes 'cloying' and 'sticky', both of them, alas, adjectives which have ben known to describe Southern Comfort.

Scepticalscribe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2015, 03:31 PM   #255
Huntn
macrumors G3

Quote:
While I sometimes like the idea of the adjective 'sweet' in an alcoholic drink, it has to come in a form of sweetness that is a smooth and velvet sweetness, a sweetness that is properly balanced with a depth of textured and layered flavour, and perhaps, leavened by a touch of acidity, too.

This means that such a version of 'sweetness' ('dulce') patently excludes an interpretation which includes 'cloying' and 'sticky', both of them, alas, adjectives which have ben known to describe Southern Comfort.

I like sweet such as found in Bailey's, or certain flavored tequilas, but that half shot of Southern Comfort was a real eye opener, tasting more like a orange liqueur than a whiskey. I may try it again because I've noticed frequently my first taste of a new whiskey is not the final impression. I need to have several tastes over a period of time. And I do limit myself, usually sipping 1 to 1.5 shots in a session. I don't like the whiskey buzz as compared to a beer buzz- curious. Maybe of interest, whiskey tastes best when I gulp a half shot, instead of sipping at it.
Old May 17, 2015, 11:03 AM   #256
Huntn
macrumors G3

Today on PBS, I heard a very interesting report about a company called Terressentia that with its bourbon speed aging process, just might turn the whisky industry on its head. How about 12 hrs, not 6 years? What really got my attention was a whisky taster who visited them and participated in multiple blind taste tests and reports that he ranked this new style bourbon consistently in the top one or two.

I'm no expert, but my impression is that aging besides adding complexity to the taste, removes the rough edges, the latter is exactly what this speed aging process accomplishes.

The question is how much lowering of price will this result in, if any? The company claims this will result in top shelf whiskey at mid shelf pricing. I don't know any brand names. The sad thing is that this will reduce the perceived value of aging, something that was nurtured for 4-8 year (or more), to a day. Kind of mind boggling.

This PopSci article is from 2011: http://www.popsci.com/technology/art...e-older-faster

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion