Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old May 8, 2012, 07:22 AM   #1
thebassmanmac
macrumors newbie

ATV 3 icloud only

Hi guys,
I'm after some advice.
I am looking at getting the ATV 3 and I have all my music in itunes music match.
I want to use this without having a permanent streaming source as i only have a MacBook and only use it occasionally.

Reading up on this it looks like i can stream my music from music match but i would like to have my photos shown, like i can with my ATV 1, is this possible?

I did read about photostream, will this show a selection of my photos from iphoto or is it just the new pics taken with my iphone.

I hope this make sense.

cheers

thebassmanmac
thebassmanmac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 08:19 AM   #2
radiogoober
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebassmanmac View Post
Hi guys,
I'm after some advice.
I am looking at getting the ATV 3 and I have all my music in itunes music match.
I want to use this without having a permanent streaming source as i only have a MacBook and only use it occasionally.

Reading up on this it looks like i can stream my music from music match but i would like to have my photos shown, like i can with my ATV 1, is this possible?

I did read about photostream, will this show a selection of my photos from iphoto or is it just the new pics taken with my iphone.

I hope this make sense.

cheers

thebassmanmac
You are correct that AppleTV will play iTunes Match music without a computer being turned on. And you are correct it can display photos from Photo Stream. Photo Stream will store 1,000 photos, and keep photos for 30 days. It is just new pics you take with your iPhone. If you have a Mac, it also works with iPhoto, so any photo you add into Photo Stream from your Mac will show on your AppleTV as well.

http://www.apple.com/icloud/features/photo-stream.html
radiogoober is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 11:35 AM   #3
thebassmanmac
macrumors newbie

That's a shame about the photos, I really want to get an ATV3.
I thought this was the case. I will have to look into uploading photos to the cloud.
I see the ATV has a USB port, is it the same as the original ATV, where it is just a service port.
I guess I cannot connect an external hard drive.
Cheers
Thebassmanmac
thebassmanmac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 01:25 PM   #4
radiogoober
Banned

Correct. There is nothing you can do with the USB port (at least without jail breaking)
radiogoober is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater