Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Imola Ghost

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
I've got a iPhone 5 that I've had since launch day. I've noticed that the screen stays dark even after I wake it up.

I keep my screen brightness all the way up however every now and then once I wake it up the screen will stay darker. I'll usually have to hit the sleep button to get it to brighten up where it should be.

Anyone else?

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
I've got a iPhone 5 that I've had since launch day. I've noticed that the screen stays dark even after I wake it up.

I keep my screen brightness all the way up however every now and then once I wake it up the screen will stay darker. I'll usually have to hit the sleep button to get it to brighten up where it should be.

Anyone else?

Yes, every once in awhile my phone does that too. Usually happens right before phone goes to sleep. Phone will dim, and if I catch it at the right moment and hit home button, screen will remain dim and then I have to hit sleep button to turn off and on the screen. Otherwise a perfect phone.

sandwicher

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2012
Yes, every once in awhile my phone does that too. Usually happens right before phone goes to sleep. Phone will dim, and if I catch it at the right moment and hit home button, screen will remain dim and then I have to hit sleep button to turn off and on the screen. Otherwise a perfect phone.

Because "Auto screen lock" was selected. This dimming won't occur if Auto lock function was set to "never".

Has been an iOS feature since... i don't know when. haha!

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
Because "Auto screen lock" was selected. This dimming won't occur if Auto lock function was set to "never".

Has been an iOS feature since... i don't know when. haha!

I understand that. But with my phone, as phone goes dim, not dark, and i touch home buttom just as it goes dim, screen remains dim, even using apps. I have to push sleep button off then on again to brighten screen back up.

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
Try calibrating your Auto-Brightness. In Settings > Brightness & Wallpaper, set slider in a normally lit room, a very dark room and outdoors. Auto-Brightness should remember your choices and adjust accordingly.

If you have a glitch, that might work it out.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
I exactly know what your talking about, it only has happened to me 2-3 times..happens very rarely and really does not bother me. Just a simple push of the sleep button works and thats it.

mbookpro

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2012
New Jersey

Anyone else?
Ive got a iPhone 5 too same issue