Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NYRangers11

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2011
Hi Guys,
I got my iPhone 4S on the Verizon unlimited internet plan with tethering (2gb) extra $20 per month. I recently got an iPad (LTE Verizon) and wanted to connect it. I was thinking to drop the tethering and add a internet plan to the iPad. Do you guys know if they will remove the unlimited if I remove the tethering?

TsuaSai

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2006
TX
No you will still keep your unlimited data. I add my moonless hot spot plan off and on all the time and still keep my unlimited.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
I have unlimited and add tethering for a few weeks at a time when I travel. I just do it online. Add it before I go, and then remove it when I get back. I never have lost unlimited. I do it online. I never call them because a rep might mess it all up.

Lunchbox700

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2008
MN
Yea you are fine. I had a 5gb tether plan that I dropped 2 months ago no problem I never used it was a waste of $30.

NYRangers11

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2011
Thanks for the replies. I read that Verizon has changed their policy on free tethering but not on the unlimited plan.

Now i'm thinking whether to switch to Share everything and add my new iPad for ten bucks or month. Or keep my current plan and add the iPad on the plan or just do prepaid for the iPad.

I rarely go over 4 gigs a month on 3 lines but Im thinking I can still keep my unlimited. Not sure for what though.

Any opinions?

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
It might be cheaper to move to Share Everything, but not add the iPad to the plan and just use the included tethering. You'll need to run the numbers on the data needs for all the lines.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.