Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 28, 2013, 01:32 AM   #26
darster
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
If Apple wants to win, there is one simple solution. Win the bid for the NFL package which expires after the 2014 season and DirecTV has stated they no longer want. The NFL package, by far, is the biggest sport jewel you can get. Apple gets that, and they will sell at least 10 million ATV devices in a month, plus a share of the $300 a year price.
darster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2013, 06:06 PM   #27
StinDaWg
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by darster View Post
If Apple wants to win, there is one simple solution. Win the bid for the NFL package which expires after the 2014 season and DirecTV has stated they no longer want. The NFL package, by far, is the biggest sport jewel you can get. Apple gets that, and they will sell at least 10 million ATV devices in a month, plus a share of the $300 a year price.
They aren't going to make it exclusive anymore, it's going to be available on every provider who wants to carry it.
StinDaWg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2013, 06:36 PM   #28
darster
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post
They aren't going to make it exclusive anymore, it's going to be available on every provider who wants to carry it.
You never know what some big company may do. For now DirecTV chose not to bid again, so the NFL will offer it to others. However, if Apple, Amazon, or someone else offer a huge wad of money for exclusive rights, the NFL may change their tune. It still has 2 years to go under the current contract, so a lot may change.
darster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2013, 12:23 AM   #29
StinDaWg
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by darster View Post
You never know what some big company may do. For now DirecTV chose not to bid again, so the NFL will offer it to others. However, if Apple, Amazon, or someone else offer a huge wad of money for exclusive rights, the NFL may change their tune. It still has 2 years to go under the current contract, so a lot may change.
For the sake of the NFL I hope they don't. The quality would be terrible streaming online compared to what you get with cable or satellite. I just don't see apple going this route. I think they will try to throw their weight into getting all the channels onto an apple tv like device before they would try to target the NFL only. The problem is getting all the deals made. These corporations won't let go of the old cable model until it no longer becomes profitable.
StinDaWg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2013, 06:52 AM   #30
richman555
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Reading, PA
I've owned every iteration of the Apply TV and there is absolutely no reason to wait to buy one.

The biggest argument had always been that it didn't support 1080p HD content... and now with ATV 3 it does.

Simply for $99 you can't go wrong.

As for the NFL Sunday ticket argument, the quality would be just fine dependent on your internet connection speed. I watch many MLB games with no issues at all.

__________________
Macbook Pro 2.66 GHz Intel Core i7 , 2 ATV3s, iPhone 5 32GB
richman555 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2013, 08:32 AM   #31
nosnhojm
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
It's also a safe bet to assume any new apple product will have the faster 802.11ac wireless. So if a new Apple TV does come out in the future it will probably have 802.11ac.
I disagree. The Apple TV does not saturate 802.11n as-is (streaming 1080p content only requires ~5 Mbps, while 802.11n provides 300+ Mbps), so why include a more expensive component that would increase the price of the device? This is the same reason why the Apple TV has a 10/100 ethernet port instead of a gigabit ethernet port.
__________________
iMac 2012 | iPad Air | iPhone 5S | TV 3 | Airport Extreme 6
nosnhojm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2013, 08:17 AM   #32
BeachChair
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
The risk in buying an Apple TV is about the lowest you can get. Even if an upgrade comes out, you can still use the ATV3 somewhere else in the house as a Netflix device, or Airplay receiver.

If not, you can sell it on Ebay or Craigslist for a minor loss.

Just buy it, there is no way you are ever gonna regret it.
BeachChair is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2013, 09:19 AM   #33
Irishman
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post
They aren't going to make it exclusive anymore, it's going to be available on every provider who wants to carry it.
Time Warner in our market has Sunday Ticket now.
Irishman is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buy the 4K Sharp or wait for Apple? jmac69 Mac Pro 37 Dec 29, 2013 11:37 PM
Apple TV: Buy Now, or Wait? lmannyr Buying Tips and Advice 3 Apr 20, 2013 01:47 PM
Should I wait for the "new" Apple TV or just buy the current version? desmotesta Apple TV and Home Theater 8 Jan 2, 2013 02:46 PM
Buy a Verizon phone or wait for Apple? Gemütlichkeit iPhone 5 Nov 4, 2012 05:39 PM
buy apple tv now or wait? clukas Buying Tips and Advice 3 Jun 20, 2012 11:09 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:23 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC