Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 29, 2012, 10:47 AM   #1
Maverick1337
macrumors 65816

Dark spot on all pictures taken with rear camera on iPhone 5

I just noticed I have a dark spot on all my photos and I tried to clean the lense but it is still there. I have a genius appointment but I don't want a refurb phone but a new one. I bought it at AT&T though and they told me I would have to pay a restocking fee if I returned it. Can I take it to apple to get a brand new one without paying a restocking fee?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Maverick1337 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2012, 10:56 AM   #2
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

The phone came out a week ago, there are no refurb units.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 04:44 PM   #3
marco1313
macrumors newbie

Having the same issue...dark spot appears centered at the bottom of every image, and can be seen on the screen in the camera app.

Did the geniuses solve your issue?
marco1313 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2012, 11:53 AM   #4
chaskinsnc
macrumors newbie

I just noticed the issue today. Heading to the Apple Store this evening. Anyone have luck correcting?
chaskinsnc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2012, 12:08 PM   #5
danielxute
macrumors member

Had this on my 4s. Went to the apple store and they tried everything. Cleaned the lense, changed the back plate, changed the camera, restored my phone and it still came up. So they just switched my phone out.
danielxute is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 05:32 PM   #6
AbblePC
macrumors member

Well? What's the outcome?

I find it annoying for two reasons, one that people make posts and never return back to post the results or what they do to fix something and two, that I also have this black spot on the iPhone 5 back camera lense.

I just noticed it today Thanksgiving day 2012 and its almost dead center of all photos and shows constantly when in the camera app preparing to take a photo.

It looks almost like a dark blurry smudge, which I cleaned the lense with a soft q-tip and looked as closely as possible using a flashlight and can not see any mark or defect through the lense cover or down in the lense.

I'm calling Apple tomorrow to discuss exchange and thusly will probably be making the 3 hour drive to the Lancaster Park City Mall, which is the closest store to me other than Pittsburgh, Pa.

I will be highly annoyed, even angry if I have to accept a refurbished unit. Only because I recently swapped out my iPad 3rd gen due to a screen rotation issue and they couldn't resolve it and exchanged the unit for me while in store.

I didn't notice right then but after I got home I saw a nick, actually felt it with my fingernail which made me notice it, down the right edge of the iPads outter bezel. Now it just annoys me to think besides the rotation screen issue, that my original 3rd gen iPad had no dings, scratches or otherwise.

Hopefully with all the stories I've seen on iPhone 5 stock limitations for the 2012 holidays, I will get a new phone and not some one else's old hat.

It's these kinds of things that make me feel somewhat reluctant to even call for service in the first place. If I had a local Apple store it wouldn't be a big deal, but taking a day to travel there and back not counting time in store is just aggravating . I won't mind near as much if I get a new device.

Other than those pet peeves, I'm very happy wih all my iOS devices and have owned every model of both iPhone & iPad since the beginning.

As far as my guess as to what made the black blotch on the camera lense, it's as though it looks like some sort of residue as if bacteria grew inside the lense.
This phone had never been in or used near damp conditions nor has it ever been dropped let alone been laid onto any damp surface. It's always in my belt holster as I use a Bluetooth headset with it.

Simply pit I've used all my iOS devices with kit gloves compared to what I see others do with their devices. Hence my confusion when I see something magically appear like this for no good reason or explanation.

Ill be back shortly to explain the outcome or if I find the underlying reason behind this blemish in an otherwise new, clean and protected phone.
AbblePC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:05 AM   #7
Taustin Powers
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbblePC View Post
I find it annoying for two reasons, one that people make posts and never return back to post the results or what they do to fix something...

...Ill be back shortly to explain the outcome or if I find the underlying reason behind this blemish in an otherwise new, clean and protected phone.
Well, so much for that...

I just discovered I have the same problem. Can it be fixed?
Taustin Powers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:49 AM   #8
Jalopybox
macrumors 6502a

Can it be fixed? Yeah, you take your phone to an Apple store and they give you another one.
Jalopybox is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 12:08 PM   #9
JAT
macrumors 603

There are three possibilities for such blotches from a digital camera:

Lens
Sensor
Software

Software is not the problem, few people have it, and we all have the same software. Lens, presumably you cleaned it. That leaves a bad sensor, internal dirt issues, or a cracked lens, any of which require phone replacement.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 12:13 PM   #10
vtran
macrumors member

I had the same problem as described so I took it to the Genius Bar and got a replacement. However, like everyone says beware that any replacement might have damages to the device so be sure you check the phone before you leave. I had to get 3 swaps before I got a good one. The first had a lot of scuffs then the second had adhesive or something on the glass of the camera so they gave me one more replacement and it was fine. They told me all the units are "new" but they told me the 3rd one I would be getting is the last swap they would do because they have "limited quantities" so if the 3rd one had any scratches or something was wrong then I would have to keep it as is.
vtran is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:41 PM   #11
LostMyiPhone
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtran View Post
I had the same problem as described so I took it to the Genius Bar and got a replacement. However, like everyone says beware that any replacement might have damages to the device so be sure you check the phone before you leave. I had to get 3 swaps before I got a good one. The first had a lot of scuffs then the second had adhesive or something on the glass of the camera so they gave me one more replacement and it was fine. They told me all the units are "new" but they told me the 3rd one I would be getting is the last swap they would do because they have "limited quantities" so if the 3rd one had any scratches or something was wrong then I would have to keep it as is.
This is ************ IMO. I don't care HOW many times they have to "swap" it out... I'm not paying nearly $1000 for something in a condition less-than-advertised. Sorry... this is an unacceptable answer IMO.
LostMyiPhone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 05:21 PM   #12
corvus32
macrumors 6502a

Mine has a speck of something in the camera that pretty much ruins every shot, but there's no way I'm swapping it for another one at the store. There's nothing else wrong with it, and I have zero faith I would get a "perfect" one.

I'll do the repair myself: http://www.ifixit.com/Device/iPhone_5

A new rear camera is $40, the tools to do the replacement cost about $30, and the step-by-step guide is free. I'd rather do that then play the Apple lottery all over again.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 06:33 PM   #13
vtran
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyiPhone View Post
This is ************ IMO. I don't care HOW many times they have to "swap" it out... I'm not paying nearly $1000 for something in a condition less-than-advertised. Sorry... this is an unacceptable answer IMO.
Yeah I had that mindset as well. I was extremely upset when the Genius told me that because it does not make sense. My phone before swapping was completely fine but the only flaw is when it was lighter background there would be a dark circle in each picture. Why should I take a "new" replacement phone with scratches or clear visible damage when my original phone was fine? It just wow'd me when I was there.. I have never had to play this exchange game until the iPhone 5. Not to say iPhone 5 is a bad phone but I swear the excuses sometimes at the Genius Bar just amazing me
vtran is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2014, 05:36 AM   #14
Daniel Walsh
macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I'm a bit late in responding, but I just encountered the same problem on my iPhone 5, and discovered a solution that worked for me. Upon looking carefully at the lens of my camera, I noticed that there was a piece of dust on the iPhone's lens, but underneath the glass cover. My idea was to dislodge the dust from the lens. Essentially I banged the rear face of the iPhone against a table, which dislodged the offending debris, and deposited it somewhere else in the enclosure where it was no longer visible.

Details: I placed a piece of printer paper against a very flat table to act as a shock absorber and to avoid scratching. I then placed the bottom rear edge of the iPhone flush against the paper, with the rear of the phone at about a 45 degree angle to the paper and table. At this point the rear camera is facing toward the table (at an angle).

Now hold the top of the iPhone (by the earpiece and sleep button) with one hand while applying a downward force (toward the table) with your other hand on the front display (the forces cancel). Then suddenly release the hand holding the top of the phone and allow the phone to accelerate due to the downward force of your other hand toward the table. What will happen is the entire flat backside of the phone will hit the table simultaneously. Repeat as necessary, And between each try, check the camera app to see if the dust spot has disappeared.
Daniel Walsh is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2014, 09:17 PM   #15
squishybrain
macrumors newbie

Great Solution, Daniel Walsh!

Daniel Walsh. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

I had a dark spot showing up on the upper right corner of my pictures. Tried your suggestion and the spot disappeared after the first try!

I can't tell you how relieved I am, believing that I was going to have to open my iPhone and replace my camera.

Again, thanks.
squishybrain is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone