Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oliversl

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Hi,
a coworker had no luck with iPad3. First, the iPad frooze on a skype video call and never came back. Apple Store exchanged for a new iPad 3.

But, now after a 1 month use the iPad 3 has a dead pixel row and the home button does not work well. I hope Apple Store can exchange it again, but the big question is: which iPad will he get as a replacement? A refurbished iPad3 or a new iPad4?

Anyone has exchanged an iPad3 for an iPad4?

Thanks
Oliver

oliversl

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Thanks to all!

The idea is to get a new replacement, no matter if its 4th gen or 3rd gen.

BTW, this issue has been really embarrassing to me since I recommended buying the 3rd gen iPad. I never heard of an iPad failing twice. Is this "normal"?

Regards,
Oliver

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
hold on to your dead pixels Ipad 3 for another 6 months. Maybe by then they could ran out of old Ipad 3 stock and you can get Ipad 4.

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
hold on to your dead pixels Ipad 3 for another 6 months. Maybe by then they could ran out of old Ipad 3 stock and you can get Ipad 4.

They didn't "run out" of the iPad 2 stock yet. Usually have to wait at least two years after manufacture discontinued.
If your refurbished iPad 1 under Apple care fails they may not have one at the store but they can still order a replacement from the warehouse.

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
They didn't "run out" of the iPad 2 stock yet. Usually have to wait at least two years after manufacture discontinued.
If your refurbished iPad 1 under Apple care fails they may not have one at the store but they can still order a replacement from the warehouse.

Quit trying to be an expert...
a) obviously they don't run out of iPad 2...they're still making and selling them.
b) the white iP4 did run out earlier this year and a lot of people got a free 'upgrade' to the white 4S when they replaced defective iP4.

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
a) obviously they don't run out of iPad 2...they're still making and selling them.
b) the white iP4 did run out earlier this year and a lot of people got a free 'upgrade' to the white 4S when they replaced defective iP4.

Just an opinion, obviously.

And we were talking about iPad not iPhones.

If Apple cannot make good on a warranty they have a long track record of offering a suitable replacement. I've seen plastic MacBooks swapped out for unibodies for example.

But the forums have not had "a lot of people" getting iPad 2's for broken iPad 1's and
iPad 3's for broken iPad 2's.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
There is no chance of getting a iPad 4 unless they mess up really badly.

It's not like a computer because a computer once they decided to replace the computer they can't just go manufacturer another one.

I had an iPhone (1st gen) recently replaced. I had to wait a week for Apple to order a replacement.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012

I think its the matter of luck here. But in the case of Ipad 3, apple even took them out of the store. Consider it beta version of the REAL ipad with retina so if they discontinued Ipad 3, there is a chance you will get a 4. Selling price at launch is the same regardless. Though, Iphone sells lot more than Ipad so its not surprise they ran out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.