Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reflekshun

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
I am wondering what the reason is that RAM latencies are generally getting higher as the years go on, is it related to RAM size?

Will there be much benefit to my memory intensive audio workstation if I get lower latency ram or is there a trade off (higher CPU usage etc.) if i get lower latency RAM?

I'm considering buying 32GB of CS 10 ram instead of CS 11 RAM for the new 27" imac.

Many thanks for any ideas / info!

Puevlo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2011
They're not going upwards. RAM latency is decreasing as clock speeds are increasing.

drambuie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
The latencies are the delays in clock cycles caused by the time it takes for the RAM chips to perform specific functions. Although clock speeds are increasing, the RAM silicon speed isn't increasing much. Therefore it takes more clock cycles to perform the same tasks. A clock frequency of 1333MHz with a latency of 9 equates to a memory response time of 6.75ns. A speed of 1600MHz at a CL of 11 equates to a 6.78ns response. Compared to desktop DIMMS with their overclocking abilities, SODIMMS presently have limited speed/latency options. You can get high speed, low latency desktop DIMMS if you're willing to pay the extra price.

reflekshun

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
Thanks drambuie a great detailed answer, exactly what I was looking for.

Now it's down to the question of whether I trust any other brands more than OWC for RAM, as OWC is only selling CL 11 RAM for the new imac!

Thanks again :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.